Super Mario 64 hacks

Did you know that 1) They exist 2) They can be quite good?
I’ve been playing something called Super Mario 64 Star Road. It looks great.

This is crucial: It just looks great.

The Mario 64 hack wiki says:
“Super Mario Star Road is a hack made by Skelux. It was released around Christmas 2011, and contains 130 Stars. This hack is known for being the best, and most well-known Rom Hack out there. This is due to the similarities to Mario 64 in terms of difficulty »

That is false. This is much, much harder than the original SM64, and you have to make ridiculous jumps all the time.

I suspect all the other hacks are even harder

If you go in with the right mindset, though, it’s cool.
Mario 64 was the beginning of 3D platforming, nobody knew what to do so they just gave Mario a maximalist moveset. You have a lot of options for simple jumping, each with their pros and cons.

• Jump
  • Double Jump
  • Triple Jump
  • Wall Kick
  • Backward Somersault
  • Long Jump
  • Slide Somersault
  • You can use B at the beginning of a jump to go farther but you will have a terrible recovery
  • You can also use B to kick during a jump to control the jump a little

For each difficult jump, you’re carefully choosing between these options. Doing a backward somersault is easy but this move doesn’t have much reach. The triple jump makes you go far, but is hard to pull off. The slide somersault is amazing, but you shouldn’t use it on a small platform because Mario might turn around and fall instead of backing off.

It doesn’t take too long to become some kind of Mario 64 god, fully utilizing all of Mario’s moves perfectly and looking cool as hell. Levels that were almost impossible early on (like the ghost forest) now look trivial.

This hack manages to be just as playful as the regular game. Here’s a secret, just for SB:

Of course there is a Giant Instruments Floating In Space level

Spooky castles

And mysteries?

The camera is still hell, of course.

4 Likes

holy shit yes

Mario 64 and Sunshine are still unbeaten as far as good feeling, freeform 3D third-person movement goes, if you ask me. A version of them where you’re actually forced to utilize all the movement tools you’re given sounds like fuckin HOT SAUCE

I’m a little surprised Nintendo hasn’t done anything with Sunshine. Hell, imagine if they did a sequel to 3D World but added FLUDD and all the stuff that brings to the table.

Has anyone produced a hack with a good/contemporary right-stick analog camera? Is this possible without rebuilding the entire game?

I want a Sonic-fanbase/Zelda Classic style simulator engine for 3D Mario. Mario Maker 3D with easy swaps between 64/Sunshine/Galaxy/3D World physics and visual fidelity and drag and drop and the ability to make endlessly connected streaming worlds/levels. Plop in some VR support and I think videogaming is completed successfully?

I played a Mario 64 co-op hack with my sister, and got drunk. There’s 6 episodes on YT, here’s ep 1. It was pretty fun/stupid

4 Likes

There is a speed run from this winters Awesome Games Done Quick where two guys do a 16-Star run of that Multiplayer SM64.

1 Like