Super Mario 2006

This, except 3D Land, which I enjoyed significantly more

Hopefully thereā€™s one in the works and theyā€™re just holding back on it while they focus on releasing Odyssey.

If yā€™all donā€™t manage to find a Switch in time for this game, you might want to check out this SM64 mod:

6 Likes

6 Likes

3d World is the same game as Land but more fleshed out and prettier. I guess this is one of those things like people inexplicably preferring Metal Slug 2 to X.

Anyway 3D World will be an easier port because screen size and GPU architecture are similar, whereas 3DS is this alien shaderless thing that rarely sees ports in either direction. So 3D World port does seem likely to happen.

3 Likes

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-- :doomdie:

4 Likes

This is a bad analogy because 3D Land has completely different level design and also 16 worlds which is dope as hell

2 Likes

Mario 3D World did that one better too. I love how it repeatedly creates false ceilings by naming the late-game worlds with symbols. World Castle appears to be the final world, but then World Bowser is revealed, and after that there are 4 more secret worlds in space.

4 Likes

I want a sequel real bad. Friends and lovers deserve to be more than just your hat.

That frozen red desert level looks very 64-y though

Iā€™m curious how many people who believe this have played the game and those stages in question recently. I played Sunshine last I think in 2015 and I found the FLUDD-less almost without a doubt the gameā€™s least enjoyable part. Half of the time youā€™re on some rotating object whose flattest surface at a given moment you canā€™t really discern because youā€™re set against the void, and the weird slipperiness of Marioā€™s movement only makes finding the ideal surface more of a pain.

I really like the FLUDD. There are only so many times that jumping from one platform to the next using standard Mario movements can be interesting (think this was one of Felixā€™s points in his ABDN review). And obviously there are ways to expand on that mechanically which arenā€™t the FLUDD, but criticisms of the mechanic to me tend to read as purist complaints, as if Mario having some extra aerial methods is the perversion and dilution of an essence (and essences, upon closer examination, can just as often not exist, or are impossible to make descriptively absolute). Just seems like a holdover from standard IC takes that resembled mechanical manifestos.

To be clear, Iā€™m not saying that anyone who prefers or even likes the FLUDDless levels is wrong or has some malicious intent, butā€¦ Idk, imo they donā€™t hold up that well, and I really would like to know if the contrary opinion is informed by distant memories or recent experience.

2 Likes

8 Likes

Hardest of disagrees. Not with any of the rest of your comment, but there is no limit to how much I want to bop around with Mario 64 movement.

2 Likes

hey

shut up

2 Likes

16 Likes

Demon plumber Mario.

Update: Iā€™m replaying Sunshine, 26 shines in, and itā€™s good

The jet boost FLUDD is the best thing to ever happen to Mario

3 Likes

The water skiing is very good

To specify I mean the vertical rocket boost one, but the horizontal jet boost is good too

i would love for someone to stream sunshine and point out where the fun is

2 Likes