Super Mario 2006

An Ok list, but extremely computer-centered and adventure-centered it seems. Surely more other formats would also qualify as “notable”?

it’s specifically a list of computer games, as the blog doesn’t have anything to say about any consoles

7 days 'till Donk.

2 Likes

Donk is real 2017

i feel like we should have FUCKIN SUPER MARIO WEEK or something building to this, just to give all our hopes up all at once

4 Likes

how many people own a switch and can get this at launch tho

not me :frowning:

I actually had to stop myself from buying a JP code instead of the physical copy I have on order

ALTHOUGH MY SCHEDULE IS ALL KNACKERED NEXT WEEKEND SO MAYBE THAT’LL CHANGE

So hype.

Every time I see the words “New Donk City” I think of the 1991 movie New Jack City with Wesley Snipes and Ice-T. Today at work I had a thought about how someone should do a remake of that movie but with Mario characters instead.

1 Like

I hope the game is good so that when I finally get a Switch around 2021 or so I’ll have something worthwhile to play on it.

Why do you even want a switch if you consider there’s nothing worth playing now?

I played a little bit of the demo at a Target today. It was the red desert area. The game feels pretty different than I expected! Mario feels weirdly just slightly slower than I’d like, and there doesn’t seem to be a run button. BUT, throwing the hat and jumping on it feels just right, and there’s a cool move you can do where the hat spins around you. Controlling enemies is really cool, and each enemy has its own unique feel to it. The way that the enemies you possess are used in nearby environmental puzzles reminds me of the transformations in Yoshi’s Island.

The game is gorgeous and it’s full of fun little details and distractions. I’m pumped!

i think rolling takes the place of running in this game

sm64 and sms didn’t have run buttons. did the 3d land and 3d world games?

I didn’t figure out how to roll but that would totally solve my movement woes!

3D World had a run button I believe, and that was the most recent Mario game I played, so that may be why I miss it.

I generally pick up all the Nintendo hardware towards the tail end of its lifespan, I mean I just got a Wii U earlier this year. That’s also how I played Breath of the Wild, which takes care of the Switch’s current killer app. Most of the other games are either Wii U re-releases or multiplayer games that’ll likely have markedly smaller player bases by then (plus I play like zero of those anyways, so Splatoon and ARMs are likely perfectly lovely games that do nothing for me) which sets up Mario 2k6 as the first true “gotta have it” game on it. I assume there will be more of those to come.

I can see how my statement could have read as dismissive though, wasn’t really my intention.

hi. i found the sunshine discussion somehow and unironically made an account to say a few things. apparently i do that a lot.

i see issue with the statement about sunshine and the wind waker gameplay being too “weird”. whether you’re actually satisfied with either of their mechanics or not, they largely consist of strict upgrades on the previous works. there was never any 3d land or breath of the wild or whatever going on in here. they work pretty well as direct gameplay sequels and were correctly perceived as such, for better or worse. the “weirdness” is pretty much entirely aesthetic.

i believe that the no-fluud levels are quite good and that the world deserves at least one very sharp game made entirely of these levels. sm64, which i like, is not the same thing outside of the bowser levels, of which there are only three. 3d land/world, which i really like, are not the same thing at all. we need more, more!

it is clear to me that many games and their ideas should not be “left alone” and are worth directly improving on, particularly by those who already enjoy them greatly. i base this on the fact that pretty much every game is rushed to varying degrees, that games can turn out well in spite of this. there is a lot you can do with just plain old sm64, as the numerous hacks out there show. one day, i would like to see or make a great 32-level game of the kind that nintendo had originally hoped for.

there are some strict upgrades you could make to sunshine without necessarily pleasing people who already dislike it. there are seven regular levels… you could add a few more levels so we have a nice number like eight or ten. make corona mountain more interesting, and maybe add another level like it earlier in the game (turn the entire bowser jr encounter into this, if you added more levels that would be a very good halfway point). add a new nozzle that gives you a water-powered punch. yoshi could use more work and more exposure. things like that.

i guess i’m hype for odyssey. no switch yet though. i don’t really “get hype” for things unless i know i’m gonna play them asap.

10 Likes

Gotta keep selling those Amiibos somehow now that the craze is over

1 Like

Great points! I enjoyed them! I hope you stick around!

In other news, it occurred to me I should probably trade in some old games I never play before they lose all value, and together with the trade-in credit I’ve already got, I should probably be able to get a Switch tomorrow, and Mario on release. Really looking forward to this!

2 Likes

thank you, i’m glad to be here.

do amiibos just appeal to me specifically or something? wedding dress mario is hilarious, just like zelda dress link. i thought the metroid amiibo was pretty smart.

I still have no idea what Amiibos do and I refuse to ever find out.

2 Likes

They wear dresses, apparently

6 Likes