STUNLOCK THE PRESSES: combo breaking news (Part 1)

AC Odyssey, I hope, is some sort of case study for “more =/= better,” because it’s one of the few games I can think of where it’s possible to get the Platinum trophy and still have dozens of hours of shit left to do.

I mean, it’s a hell of a value proposition if you’re looking for dollars-per-hour, I just…I’m still not done with Odyssey. And that game came out two years ago.

4 Likes

To me it’s more of an acknowledgment that players have literally thousands of other media competing for their spare time and it doesn’t make sense to have a single-player game that actively demands hundreds of hours of their time. As if every player who plays is literally only playing AC: Origins or Odyssey and nothing else (no TV, book, music, film, games etc.).

Also crunch reforms might play a role in this. Ubisoft did a big restructuring which aims to reevaluate a lot of their working norms which I hope works out for them.

2 Likes

Yeah, I hope that’s the case. Odyssey is a gorgeous game, but I can’t even imagine the how much crunch went into that thing.

Honestly I kinda thought Origins was the perfect size. Huge, yeah, but with plenty to find and discover that felt memorable and unique, at least as far as landmarks go. If this winds up somewhere between the two of them, I’d…be fine with that.

1 Like

Odyssey was too bloated when it came out and then they immediately started releasing more shit for the game which was actually so obnoxious that I never finished the game because of it. I can’t imagine starting it today and not being completely overwhelmed by the scale of the whole thing.

1 Like

June 16th.

1 Like

I liked Origins but I have a soft spot for desert environments and Egyptian history. The level-gating of areas needs to exit that series and nearly made me quit.

Understandable! As much as the level gating got criticized in Odyssey (mostly because of that XP multiplier they sold), I found I was maxed out pretty early on, which just made every combat encounter, uhhh, pretty same-y.

Apparently Valhalla is gonna shy from level gating and rely mostly on skill, which…good!

I know that little overlook in Origins, just outside the first town, drove me nuts, since you couldn’t tackle the guards there until most of the way through the game. Granted, there’s also a story beat up there that you appreciate a bit more by that time, but!

1 Like

Xbox conference about to start.

1 Like

nice kitchen aaron

1 Like

Interwebs

they can read the interwebs enough to know that we want in-engine footage but not enough to know that we’re all tired of the world premiere schtick

1 Like

woo-hoo lonely mountains downhill is out on switch today

2 Likes

WRITER, BLOOBER TEAM

2 Likes

Scarlet Nexus
Bright Memory Infinite
Second Extinction: Reclaim Earth

Someday I wish to learn the arcane art of naming videogames.

4 Likes

Dunno how good it is for this next slate of games that half the games shown had me goin’ “Ah, this is Cyberpunk 2077.”

At least Scorn is showing signs of life!

2 Likes
1 Like

The like/dislike ratio on youtube is almost 50/50 lol. Don’t say you have an inside look at gameplay and then not show an actual gameplay demo of someone just playing the game.

5 Likes

Also they made a point at the beginning of saying if you buy a game once you’ll own the future series x version whenever you upgrade but actually only the games that advertise the “smart delivery” feature are like this.

Marketing!

oh! you might like this thread

2 Likes