STUNLOCK THE PRESSES: combo breaking news (Part 1)

When I was looking into buying some new headphones a while ago I was reading about how Sony has been trying to promote a system they call “3D Reality Audio” for music services, and separately some of their more recent headphones literally do allow you to take a picture of your ear with their app and it does “stuff” to make it sound better. So I wonder how much of this is Sony just integrating existing tech they’re already been working on in other industries to see if they can build more use cases for it.

yeah I’d point to R6 Siege as pretty much the gold standard in terms of spatial audio directing player attention, but the game design is critical to that; so much of the game is just staring in one direction while listening for other things happening around you. it doesn’t screw up the mix by having the players running around and shooting all the time

this is kind of a “yes and no” thing for me, because again, it depends so much on the experience you’re trying to put forward. directional audio will matter if you want directional audio to matter, but so so so much of “best practice” game design hasn’t really made sound design a reliable pillar of messaging outside of like, big 2D impact or UI sounds

1 Like

And in all my experience it’s hard because sound is so far down in the pipeline – at an indie studio where sound designers are external it’s brutal but even in one big building the audio team is almost hermetically sealed away and they are so used to working off art they actually prefer not to be involved until they have timed animation and FX work to go off of.

Building a music minigame took a brutal year of plugging in communication, to say nothing of how much it freaked out the core tech team afraid of promising any sort of mitigation for thread communication for beat timing.

1 Like

all kops are pigs

1 Like

how about just STOP THE BUTTON PRESSES

1 Like

stunlock the presses

15 Likes

fuck that’s good

3 Likes

That’s the one.

3 Likes

Well done, dear siblings

4 Likes

Y’all tried the new Steam Interactive Recommender yet? I guess it’s not really “new” if you’ve used Steam Labs before, but I’m pretty excited that it’s good at recommending a greater breadth of games than what I’ve seen from the discovery queue in the past, based on the introductory article.

1 Like

i didn’t realize we were this transparent to the machines

4 Likes

damn it, now i’m going to be spending the rest of the day thinking about the alternate universe where i didn’t name the thread

this is a very good algorithm knob

11 Likes

https://twitter.com/SylphArcade

ports to a bunch of 8/16bit computers and runs on modern systems as an HTML file

4 Likes

Worst Images

2 Likes

Can we add a subtitle to make it clear this is a news thread?

STUNLOCK THE PRESSES: Combo-Breaking News

9 Likes