Street Fighter 2 in South Korea

inspried by

I did some search with my poor Korean

Street Fighter 2 is very popular like any other countries in the world back to the days, and one of Korean players called Jung Young Dug (정영덕) create a PC port which saved all the empty pocket kids, Jung used a capture device record SF2 from Super Famicom, and made it happen on DOS before the US Gold. It also gives the kids a chance to hack or add their own role creation in SF2. So in some latter private version, Terry appears in the game fight with Blanka.

And Jung even wrote a book about how he worked (via 소리없이진행 : 네이버 블로그 and [도서] SF-2 제작자와 함께하는 게임 만들기 : 네이버 블로그)

And that’s not the end, later, many local publisher see the business opportunity with or without copyright too, cartoon, comic, novel, toys… etc all comes along. And one of the biggest is a movie, fully localization original story and martial arts fight.

You can watch the full movie in this channel

24 Likes

i hope someone subs the korean live action someday, it’s surely gotta be better than future cops (the hk street fighter live action)

Oh wow, thank you for this post! I knew about this game from way back but I never knew how it was actually made!

I guessed that was the process (taking photos and then digitizing them) in this old tumblr post, where I also translated the attract screens (I messed up a few them, looking back now tho): KEEP ON THE BEAT [RD.2] - Street Fighter II: The World Warrior [Korean Hack...

2 Likes

LOL, I never noticed this screen of Bison!

there’re a new source after my post and so much new information, but I have no time to fact-checking, if you got interested:

https://namu.wiki/w/정영덕판%20스트리트%20파이터%202

1 Like

I thought I posted in this thread about this already but I guess not

I wanna shout out Jungin Video Arcade in Seoul which shut down on June 15th, 2020. They steamed their SF2 Champion Edition cabs to YouTube every day for about 8 hours from mid-2016 to their closure in 2020 here:

Honestly, it was really cool to see Champion Edition still get regular play in an arcade setting because you rarely see anyone engage with anything other than Super Turbo these days

11 Likes

Yeah back when I was looking for it that was one of the few channels I found doing regular CE.

Yeah, remember this channel.

there’s many asian players play SF2CE on an online platform called Gotvg, this channel like to record their matches.

1 Like

Yeah! The Fightcade lobby is pretty booming too

1 Like

i really love ST but CE rules

1 Like

~2009 on sunday afternoons after our sf4/3s locals at an actually nice venue run by quakeworld megastar sujoy roy, a bunch of us would meet up at an arcade in the city centre before getting food. i would rush to the mame cabinets and put either breakers or CE on - i must admit a lot of the appeal with CE was at the time a kind of ironic “lol kusoge” thing because it’d always degenerate into bison mirrors and giggling at the infinites but yeah i do really love that you can still access every revision of sf2 and its meta and people do play all of these things with the exception of maybe world warrior

4 Likes