Steins;gate (image heavy)

Knocked out ending #3 Kagari’s one (Recursive Mother Goose and I almost want to tip my hat to how much of an insane shaggy dog story it was, with you basically trying to figure out the origin of a song which requires you to follow an increasingly absurd chain of acquaintances that ultimately goes… well not nowhere but it definitely feels like one just ran in circles for ninety or so minutes. TBF there were a couple of nice character moments (albeit ones mostly lifted from the prior game) but I’d definitely list this as the low point of the experience so far, what was good here could have easily popped up elsewhere and the rest could be excised/off in some side game.

Anyways that out of the way I can now go all the way back and explore the other side of the initial big branching off point, or what I assume is the other main half of the game. Looking forward to how that is handled, there is one early character and bit of foreshadowing that basically hasn’t come up in ages that was rather intriguing and I assume got shunted off over there.

I was gonna save any real thoughts for about the midway point and I’m about there, but the only real thought I have at this point is that the original game was probably a better story told worse, while 0 is at least at this point a less interesting tale executed a good bit better than what came before. This makes the first half of 0 superior to the first half of the first game, but I kinda wish said first game was this lucky.

(Also I have spent way too much time pondering how time travel and world line shifts are handled in this game, they likely follow the universe’s internal logic well enough but with my current knowledge the cause & effect puzzles me greatly and there is one (very long) example of the former that I am not convinced tracks at all.)

(Much like the first game I’m resisting the urge to greet people with “tutturu~” >_>)

2 Likes