Got a selection of GOOD STEALS on sale, stranger! (Part 1)

uhhh have y’all heard of a little game called bioshock???

everyone who ever played that suffered a strange injury that made them think it was worth praising

2 Likes

I take offense to this, I was shit talking Bioshock before I even finished it

I’ll die on the hill for BS2 though

(somehow, BF Inf offends me even more than the first game did. at least BS1 was trying)

2 Likes

THE FIRST THING YOU DO IS GRAB A NEEDLE IN A TRASH CAN AND STAB IT IN YOUR ARM.

1 Like

The first game had horror… -ish parts, and I was pretty surprised at how much I missed them in Infinite.

2 is not a bad time

it’s not but it’s like New Vegas in that despite its earned status as the good one the engine is still pretty gormy in 2017 and it was never like classic good to begin with

New Vegas is classic good though

1 Like

Yeah plus the story and writing and everything still suuuuuucks it’s just the shooting that’s decent.

Surprised to see the Soma love, I think it’s Frictional’s worst game by far.

1 Like

I haven’t played Soma. Do you like other Frictional games?

They’ve mostly been ‘just ok but somewhat bland’ to me.

I liked Amensia a whole it, specifically the bits with the invisible monster. Actually I guess those are the only bits I really liked, but overall I enjoyed it.

I liked the Penumbra games a lot. The second was the best.

My problems with Soma are developer’s choice more than complaints so yeah play it.

I’d suggest you buy Soma only if it’s the cheapest Frictional game available right now because the experience of playing it isn’t substantially different than what you’d get playing the Penumbra games. I don’t want to hate too hard on Soma because the art and atmosphere is strong at times but it’s not the next level shit people say it is. You’ll still be listening to audio logs, reading journal entries and solving “puzzles” for the entirety of the game. I’m actually ok with this because it’s a staple of the genre but Soma’s biggest sin as a horror game is telegraphing its enemy encounters to the point where the majority of the game felt like a walking simulator to me. I felt completely safe for most of the game because I knew exactly when an enemy encounter would occur and even when an enemy did “beat” me, it only sets you back like 15 seconds of the game, so there’s essentially no stakes or penalty when you do get set back. This completely erased any suspense or tension during my playthrough and made it a forgettable experience.

If you’re in the mood for a first person survival horror, then I would strongly suggest Alien Isolation if you haven’t played it yet. It solves all the problems I outlined and is just super awesome.

This was me playing Amnesia. It might have been because I was streaming it, but I found that game to be entirely ineffectual at being scary.

Yeah, it rules

3 Likes

I definitely thought of SOMA as more of a cognitive science fiction walking simulator than a horror game, and I was pretty into that. If you’re looking for really frightening survival horror, it’s not a great choice. But if you want videogaming’s closest equivalent to a Peter Watts novel, then this thing is where it’s at.

The game did happen to align perfectly with several strong interests of mine, so your mileage may, of course, vary.

yeah considering that frictional’s first few games were some of the first entries into the first-person youtube horror let’s play genre (accidentally) I’m really impressed with their restraint and ability to step away from what could have been a pretty lucrative place to cash in on in favor of a really cerebral and haunting story

like, the ending still terrifies me and I 1. never played it 2. watched it played a year ago

Apparently you get Twitch Prime with every Amazon Prime account, so…

2 Likes

!!!

Excite!

bioshock 1 > bioshock 2. don’t at me

1 Like

whoa who turned up the WRONG in here

1 Like