Starting another Google Doc in the same vein as the FPS one but with RTS

A google doc for real-time strategy with sprite-based graphics and assets, Command & Conquer, StarCraft, Etc.

2 Likes

hereโ€™s a massive ongoing twitter thread listing japanese real time strategy games, many of which are sprite-based

7 Likes

oh, nice, thanks. this gymzatan twitter thread will be a useful resource for fleshing out my own research. shame that person is also a huge piece of flaming garbage.

looking at my notes, Iโ€™m wondering if you could draw a few lines.
You mention youโ€™re interested in combat RTS, not economic/4X games, fair enough.

But what about the following situations (for example):

• โ€œVersus (AI/player)โ€ games without clear analogues to those three categories, like Populous (god sim), Dungeon Keeper (asymmetric base expansion and defense), or Herzog Zwei (action-hybrid)
  • Combat RTS with no explicit building or raw resource management (Myth, Battle Bugs), particularly small scale โ€œsquadโ€ games (Syndicate, Commandos) or strategy RPGs (Rage of Mages)
  • Games which handle enemy/NPC encounters in a different mode (Ogre Battle)

The actual number of Japanese RTS which are similar to the genre-defining classics already listed in the document is pretty small, but there are a lot of weird hybrid and fringe cases. Iโ€™m fine with whatever criteria, I just donโ€™t want to waste time with clearly ineligible suggestions.

1 Like

Korean RTS videogames deserve to digg

And there was a magazine called Computer Games Strategy Plus, must be some hidden gems

Iโ€™d def exempt Ogre Battle kinda shit, Iโ€™ve been on the fence on Squad Based ones, I think the name for them are โ€œReal-Time Tacticsโ€, but maybe a separate section for them. God Sims and base Defense are also exempted but something like herzog and herzog zwei could fit, idk.