Stardew Valley Has Harvested My Fucking Soul

leave farm overgrown, go forage and make seasonal seeds for cash and enjoy fishing and dungeoning and people watching all day

i’m not really following my own advice, and in the long run it’s probably for the better, but i’d recommend it for the first spring anyway since none of the seasonal crops then seem like good cash flow

Okay yeah, berries. Once you’re done getting what you need for the rec center, you really only need to plant berries and ancient fruit.

My greenhouse is now entirely filled with blueberries, which yields me 20k every time they sprout, which is like every 4 or 5 days. I get similar returns from cranberries outside, now that it’s fall, which I spent all my money on at the start of the season and planted in high quality fertilizer (made from sap and all my crab trap minors).

I’m now just coating everything I own in solid gold, because I’M FUCKING RICH

3 Likes

Blueberries and cranberries riched me right up. Then, I made myself broke again to have fun. I presume I’ll perform this cycle again.

On another note: one thing that sets this game apart from similar ones is that cooked meals don’t seem to be worth much compared to their components. Artisan goods don’t even seem to be THAT worth it, unless you set up a high volume of the various processors, which seems like a waste of space when you could be growing berries instead.

oh p.s. you can ‘tap’ palm trees

1 Like

Yeah, you don’t really get much return for labor in cooking meals.

I really like getting up in the morning and ‘cooking’ my wife her beloved roots platter, gifting it to her, and planting a kiss before heading out to make ludicrous sums of money.

It’s also useful when you get the second dungeon, which will 100% whip your ass without hugely regenerating meals.

Nice - I’m excited for that! I’m also really loving all the little secrets that I know I could look up on some wiki or whatever, but am much happier discovering for myself. The game is pretty smart about giving you hints towards them over time.

1 Like

Fuck harvesting, the precise privilege that I have as a first-world member of the fossil fuel age is that I don’t have to do any of it, I’ll leave it to my post-collapse descendants. They will shake their heads at people from our time immersing themselves in an unproductive simulacrum of it.

“my grandson, there will come a day when you find yourself exhausted with the modern world”

hell yeah

“on that day you will go to my farm”

hold on

7 Likes

It’s impossible for me to think about farming simulators without also thinking about the rot at the core of our civilization and all of our souls

3 Likes

Please don’t axe up topics by harshing other peoples fun

How deeply is hunger simulated in SV and the games that inspired it? Is it always a basic up/down meter?

2 Likes

Sorry, I’m not intending to harsh anybody’s fun, please take my posts to be written with a tone of slightly bemused anarcho-primitivist stand-up comedy. The irony of how much time we here all spend in videogames just seems especially vivid and symbolic in the case of farming simulators, they’re the most natural starting point for social criticism (and have been since Farmville at least) although they’re not necessarily more at fault than any other videogame in any real way.

1 Like

Well now I feel bad

Don’t feel bad about that jazz, @Mothra; feel bad about the fact that you got me into this and now I have three jobs instead of two

My one regret in this life is deciding to woo the lady who lives south of me, meaning I have to navigate the shoddy path I cut through my bramblepatch of a farm every morning to visit her, since otherwise she’s so out of the way I’m almost inevitably going to forget to visit her until there’s not enough time left to get over there. That dumb path has to dogleg around a pond on my property, and I have yet to fish anything good out of that pond or the river by her house. It’s maddening.

Real excited with how my foraging collection is going, though!

1 Like

Oooh! You picked Leah? Good choice.

Oxi picked Abigail, which has apparently been good but not amazing, and I picked Penny, which has been… less than spectacular. We both go to bed at exactly 1:50am every morning, side awake, wondering what could have been had we gone with Leah.

Yeah my deepest apologies to Julie for destroying you on a quantum level by introducing you to this fucking game.

1 Like

Just made a ludicrous 81,155g in one day:

7 gold-star sweet gem berries sold for 31,500 (the other 5 silver star pushed it to 46,500g). Rest was 150+ blueberries and cranberries).

I married the gothic rockeater but not much has changed. I heard the dev is adding some more depth to the ‘married life’ as in actually have people react to it, and making your spouse less robotic.

Genuinely curious if Broco is gonna drop back into this thread for a game he doesn’t like to tell us it’s a waste of time

okay, no more half-joking non-positivity related thoughts about farming sims, christ

6 Likes

This thread should be a place that makes me and mine feel exactly as calm and content as Stardew does, and we’re all clearly on the same page on that front. When I open this thread it is as such as throwing open my chicken coop and seeing my beloved ducks and hens pouring out into the fields, happy and delighted in that pure, untainted manner dothwith only farm animals can truly know.

On a related note, I can’t bring myself to build a fence to contain these various bundles of delight and as a farmer and as a MAN I have not for one moment regretted this clearly correct decision.

6 Likes

Your farm animals are all nicely behaved and will happily munch on grass rather than any crops you’re growing. You’re living in some sort of rural utopia.

farmville really has nothing to do with harvest moon

3 Likes