Songs that make you think of games

Sometimes I hear a song and it perfectly encapsulates a feeling a game gives me, so here is a thread to catalog this. These don’t necessarily even sound like the game, but they feel like the game to me. Add your own please!

Anodyne = Purple Moss by Malibu Ken i.e. Aesop Rock and Tobacco

Anodyne is a sad game about poking at your own psyche and realizing your brain is in a state of decay, filled with weird garbage. Indulging in your worst urges and just wallowing in your own shit, poking at the edges of a personality that you’ve alienated yourself from. As many criticisms as I leveled at it, it was most successful at depicting a decaying and strange place, and imbuing a real sense of alienation.

I talk like it hurts to talk
Mascot of Murphy’s Law
From the claw game at the Walt Whitman mall
to the worst curb cuts of the urban sprawl

I love the tone set by these opening lyrics. Just a miserable sap who can’t win at claw games and falls over a lot. Great shit.

Like a lot of Aesop Rock this is a very introspective song that is pretty self-indulgent as well. I guess it’s also about moving from the east coast to Portland based on the fact that the Empire Builder is a route from Chicago to Portland, where Aesop lives right now. But I dunno, Genius lyrics is pretty fucking stupid

Anyway, it really has a feeling of being a piece of shit trying to figure out why you suck so bad, and basically deciding to fuck off and sit in a lawn chair and watch everything decay

Never mistook for a bird or a plane
Mistook for a hearse in the rain

What a melodramatic nerd. It’s so good.

More later as they re-occur to me

1 Like

this song def has an Earthbound vibe to me:

1 Like

triplet beats at the end there kneading my brain into mush

1 Like
1 Like

this intro always reminded me of Knytt Stories

Lunar Lander

Any game & watch game

Actually almost any fantastic plastic machine song makes me think about lcd games

1 Like

Always makes me think of Star Fox once the tempo picks up

This reminds me of something very specific but I can’t put my finger on it. That bass at the beginning in particular makes me think of…something…

but in any case this sounds like a fight in no more heroes or something

1 Like

Whilst riding on a milk truck and hearing, for perhaps the hundredth time on the local classic rock station, “Rock the Casbah” I suddenly realized that the piano grove sort of reminds me of a c-list Mega Man stage theme.

I think about scythe.wad when I hear cub

Also Hey QT reminds me of map 22

i listened to this album a lot around the time i was playing Bloodborne and i feel like its melancholic, earthy atmosphere connected strongly with the imagery of the chalice dungeons, these silent, cavernous, husk-like tombs of an unknowable civilisation

1 Like

This sounds like great screen scrolling fight music.

2 Likes