Some ports you never expected...

The original falcom RPG Dragon Slayer has a board game version, published by E-POCH in Japan.

It has 8 game boards, 4 character sheets, 1 monster, magic, item sheet and the 4 metal figures are players…yeah, it becomes a multiplayer game now.

btw, the original game looks like this on PC8801

22 Likes

Here’s an interesting article about how Bandai ended up making several boardgame adaptations of videogames in the mid-80s:

http://metopal.com/2017/07/21/bandais-joy-family/

6 Likes

according to legend, it was impossible to complete the game boy port of dragon slayer without the use of an ac adaptor, since it had no saving or passwords, and was long than the life of aset of batteries.

with modern, more efficient batteries, this may no lnoger be the case

17 Likes

This sent me down a rabbit hole of “Why do japanese dice use a big red circle for a one” and came back more confused than before. Chinese dice have ones and fours painted? But nobody actually seems to know how far back this goes, or why except for an apocryphal story about the origins of red painted 4-pips in china.

If anybody has any insight to this, I’d be happy to hear it because the lack of information is baffling.

3 Likes

There’s a Famicom spinoff of Genpei Touma Den that’s also a board game? I owned two copies of it thanks to buying a bunch of “junk lots” off Yahoo Japan in 2009? I do not know if any of those copies were “complete” and I also never actually played the game cuz I didn’t know a single person who would play a board game. Also dunno anyone who knows Japanese. But that game came with a bunch of pewter (maybe?) ghoulies and a big old board and I bet it would be really interesting to play if you liked studying hard or learning things.

Also my very lazy google search couldn’t turn up good photos of the actual board game aspect, maybe someone else can find some of that shit, it’s kinda cool.

8 Likes

Not something I’d heard of before, but on Chinese sites there’s a story about a Tang emperor who won a dice game by calling double fours, and was so happy he won he had all the fours on all the dice painted red. Then other people kept doing it to please him. I’m not saying it makes sense but that’s the story. Also no explanation of the ones…

Chinese wikipedia apparently cites an actual source for the dating of this to the Tang dynasty though, I’m kind of curious now and will probably look into it while procrastinating tomorrow lol

11 Likes

I found a video about this

1 Like

That game is 5 to 6 hours though right?
The battery life of the original Game Boy is 20 to 30 hours.

If you didn’t just pop in fresh batteries you probably are risking running out of power midgame, but even with cheap batteries and later Game Boy systems with shorter battery life it’s still far from impossible.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World board game. Looks a little like Monopoly, although the central labyrinth thing makes me think of Talisman

8 Likes

really wanna see where this thread goes

1 Like

My experience on PC 8801 emulator, it costs my 40 hours more in first time to play (And I cannot beat it cause dragon’s damage too high)

5 to 6 hours I think it’s hard for a player, unless you know all the tricks about this game (without guide book you probaly need to paid 100+ hours on discover all the things). But I heard dragon slayer on Gameboy is much harder than PC8801, so I have no idea, maybe I’ll tried it later.

1 Like

10 Likes

logo999

Classic Road (クラシック・ロード) has a web port on Hi-Ho, a early online service run by Panasonic and MSN Japan. The online version was titled as サラブレット・ステーブル (Thoroughbred Stable).

But they closed it after 1 year later, so we don’t have many screenshots about it. Wayback Machine only left some artworks on homepage.

Internet shows its unstable at early age.

6 Likes

3 Likes

never expected…

6 Likes