software

Outside of my browser, I probably use Notepad more than anything else. Mostly for… notes, and URLS and stuff. For actual HTML/CSS stuff, though, I prefer to use something that will indent and stuff for me, because i don’t really have much discipline in the way of formatting my code.

Emacs, Firefox, Godot, Blender, Gimp, Inkscape.

2 Likes

all the music/audio stuff is really the only software i interact with that isn’t videogames destiny 2

it definitely rules that a genuinely planet-crushingly capable piece of DAW is the new winrar

1 Like

A group I’m in used this for a while, seemed okay. The Epic Store devs actually have a publicly viewable Trello they use as a development roadmap thing and that seems like a pretty good use for it comparatively

I keep installing the same old Excel 2003 license every time I get a new computer. I guess I’m lucky I have never needed to exceed 65K rows on a worksheet.

2 Likes

bash and vim mostly

3 Likes

it’s me, the one person in the world who uses Microsoft Edge. because it came preinstalled.

actually i had to install firefox too because microsoft edge would crash my entire computer if i try to watch videos above a certain resolution. i don’t even have any weird plugins installed. once edge goes down the whole thing does i guess.

i logged into a few sites (selectbutton, tumblr) before redownloading firefox and so i keep using it for these because it’s easier than remembering my password.
when someone on this forum posts a video link i copy it and then go over to firefox so i can watch it without crashing my computer. that’s the power of edging. being an edgelord. pushing it to the edge. microsoft exxxtreme.

it seems to have fixed in the last sinister, unannounced update but for a while it had this really bizarre security flaw(?) where it would apparently give me random other people’s search strings if i typed punctuation into the search bar

that was a great feature and i miss speculating on what possible chain of reasoning could lead someone to search for “real” shampoo

8 Likes

+1 to soulseek, best software forever

on gnu/linux i really appreciate gnome 3. cool stuff, has a decent vibe somewhere between windows (ugly) and mac (nice) as long as you turn on dark mode

qbtorrent is great - every prior bittorrent client i used eventually turned to shit but this one still owns
gparted! the best disk management software, has saved my ass
conky is a lot of fun to play around with

i’d like to learn vim. also we have elder toups espousing emacs and falsedan espousing vim so i say we have a good old fashioned duele. sorry no but i do find these programs mythical and legendary haha

i guess this might be cross-platform? but i use it on windows:
jdownloader 2 (media ripper/downloader extraordinaire) scares me a lot but i have used it for so goddamn many things

2 Likes

I got this a week or two ago in one of the recent Itch bundles and it seems cool but it was absolutely not immediately intuitive so I haven’t messed with it much

1 Like

GIMP, the free multi-platform image manipulation program that anybody can use with ease!

4 Likes

i use sharex for screencaps and classic shell to make my start menu look old

oh i like having progress quest or cookie clicker running all the time

2 Likes

sharex is literally the best quality of life program ive ever installed

i use scrivener for writing because all the organizational stuff it has for writing is extremely useful. but the main thing i really use it for is the project target tool which basically just lets you set a word goal for the session and you can make Numbers Go Up which is great as someone who cant focus for fucking shit

3 Likes

I was a really really early adopter of foobar2000.

Premiere is the only video editor I don’t completely hate, but in the pre-work from home days, I’d flip between the final Sony release of Vegas and Resolve. Avidemux and Shotcut have wasted too much of my time. VirtualDub is hanging by a thread.

SMPlayer is my current video player of choice.

Soulseek is great but I never sign on anymore because my files are a mess, and I have such a weird and specific mix of esoteric stuff that I’m sure any of the minor touring artists I’m into would know right away it’s that tall dude from Detroit if they searched their own stuff.

I’m forever loyal to Firefox. Fuck Google.

I’ve put thousands of hours into Reaper (it reminds me)—I should probably pay the $60.

Been messing with Scribus for zine stuff and I hate it but understand it far better than the alternatives.

2 Likes

I also use SMPlayer now.

I think the only folder I have shared on my desktop is the Chrono Cross soundtrack.

2 Likes

I’m trying to decide between Write and Xournal ++ for my tablet and pen mode note taking. Xournal has more features but more jank.

Oh, as a genuine post recommending cool software, I use SyncPlay which acts as a plugin for either VLC or MPC, whichever you prefer, and lets you create a “room” which other people can join. You all load up the same media, or playlist, and it synchronizes between everyone automatically.

I know there are somewhat similar services which let one person, or a central server, broadcast the media to people, but if you are someone who irrationally hates even minor compression (me), or if your internet is shit and you have to download stuff in advance/at the office, this is perfect.

Also it’s open source, so yea.

5 Likes

always been fond of osx textedit
irssi before everyone on irc fucked off to discord
1password is great but i’m wary of the new subscription model

i use onenote for note taking and it’s the only one of those apps that i haven’t (yet) experienced data loss with, sublime for when i need to do any codin’ or markdown

and yeah soulseek rules, i’m so happy it still exists

love zsh innit

i was helping a pal start blogging with jekyll and that’s pretty cool

really miss the pre-electron days

2 Likes

I do basically love electron it’s true but mostly b/c I do a lot of cross platform work and for like 50% of my use cases there’s always a really nice Mac only app and then an electron thing on Windows and Linux which I can live with (eg Mast for Mastodon, Tweeten vs Tweetbot, Mailspring vs Spark, etc.), and also I like shipping it as a wrapper for desktop Python apps

that said I use a million sublime plugins for hex editing and IDEs and evernote syncing still, never wanted to bother with atom or vscode

mpv derivatives like IINA are nice

I mostly do music stuff in garageband b/c I’m unsophisticated but I’ve used cakewalk on Windows

I have access to creative cloud and pay for Spotify now but before that I used Gimp and Gnome Music for quite a long time. Most NLVEs are pretty good and it’s just down to preference

Microsoft’s new terminal emulator is still not remotely as good as conemu which is itself not as good as iTerm

On Windows I use Powertoys, Altdrag, and a few other utilities to get parity with other platforms’ window managers; I used an entirely different set back in the Windows 7 days to support mouseover multitouch scrolling, and I’m sure this trend will continue

I really like markdown and static site generators so I’m psyched about https://obsidian.md

Signal is increasingly very good for all purpose messaging

Blender and Cura for 3D modelling for print

Agreed that Qbit is the good torrent client now

4 Likes

What do y’all like for backups? I use Time Machine and Windows file history but anything important is on cloud storage. (Thankfully everything important is documents.)

1 Like

did this, and yes vivaldi > opera. vivaldi doesn’t try to put fucking facebook messenger in your sidebar by default

i still mostly manually back things up by uploading files to various cloud storage services and keeping some redundancy on local disks in the interim. it would work better if i paid for some additional storage because i’m anxious about automatically backing up too much stuff i don’t need and overfilling my allotments