software

wow RealPlayer, that’s a reminder. RealPlayer is definitely up there on my list of least favorite software, along with iTunes

i’m actually trying to remember what else would be on there

GeForce Experience probably

This program is such bullshit I’ve never actually been able to update my drivers through it, it always crashes.

2 Likes

Has anyone else ever needed to use MailChimp and have you found it sort of confusing to manage contacts through?

All these email marketing platforms and CRMs suck, man.

1 Like

pre-windows 8 mspaint

mspain

this drives me up a wall how in newer mspaint and every other paint program you try to use the line tool and those little things pop up to move or stretch out the line. it’s like trying to make a single mark on a piece of paper and a prompt asking “are you sure?” every time.

is there a program like mspaint but with layer support that doesn’t have a line tool that works like this? having to press a keyboard key to make the regular paint tool make a straight line is no good either. I got a mouse with several buttons here, why are we turning simple drawing into an mmo raid

1 Like

Similarly I should probably embrace one of the open source photo editing programs and punt Photoshop but familiarity is a powerful drug

1 Like

Paint.net might be what you’re looking for.

https://www.getpaint.net/index.html

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MoudXoLulipMpBAPbIZMz0L1dlcJ5W6N/view?usp=sharing

i think the “ribbon-based” paint was introduced in 7, so this is the pre-7 mspaint

runs fine in win10 64bit

1 Like

I knew somebody who used The Gimp (of course, this was the early 2000s), and I tried to get used to the Gimp, but Photoshop is just far more powerful.

I use Photoshop (any version) for images and JASC Animation Shop Pro (which is like, an ancient program that I’ve been using for almost 20 years now) for GIFs, though, that’s usually just to optimize files (remove frames and stuff). I use GIFCam when I want to quickly record a GIF. I use PixaTool sometimes for its palette changing stuff.

This isn’t software, but I use Encycolorpedia to find color system equivalents of colors. It makes it easier for me to remember what colors I’m using for a site or something if I have a name. It’s also good for finding possibly nicer shades of colors you might already be contemplating. I found this really cool shade of red orange I’m going to use called Duron’s Daredevil by looking at the related “Similar Paints” section of another color. I also found this rad color called Ogre Odor the same way. You can also use it to find the closest Pantone equivalent if that’s something you need (Pantone’s website blows).

I have a Google Sheets file just filled with colors I’ve found on that site. So many shades of mint.

7 Likes

Any thoughts on project management software?

I use Trello for solo organisation but always found it a pain with groups. Same with Osana. Slack is good for communicating on group projects but gets unruly pretty quickly.

We use Microsoft Teams at work officially but dear god good luck with organising that shit. Threads in Teams are fundamentally fucked and I don’t get why they don’t fix it. Also working on a project that has multiple ‘teams’ on software called ‘Teams’ is fun.

1 Like

i’ve used foobar2000 for listening to audio since probably the mid-2000’s and while it’s very bland looking compared to all the neat winamp skins and stuff it does exactly what i want it to do and i often marvel at how little computer resources it takes up compared to everything else (esp these days when web browsers are giant unwieldy behemoths)

i’ve also used Soulseek since 2002/2003 or so and i also marvel at how effective it is, how little has changed with the interface, and how much i’ve been able to find so much different stuff on there easily in an age where people pretend pirating music isn’t a thing people do anymore (even when Spotify isn’t any better for a vast majority of artists).

almost every other application on my computer i have a love/hate (or hate/hate) relationship with

4 Likes

7 did introduce the ribbon thing, but everything else in paint still worked the same until 8, I think. also running old paint in windows 10 works but you have to replace the mspaint.exe that currently exists and I think the .mui file too, and it gets undone when you do a windows update, so it’s just kind of a hassle

1 Like

I used to use this MIDI sequencer from 1992 (or 1994?) that I used because it was simple and clean. Software has a bad habit of getting bloated and convoluted.

Is this the thread where I talk about how baffling it is to me that people still happily use TeamSpeak and Mumble in the year 2020?

I used to use Paint.NET for my image editing, but found out about Krita and switched to that. Still learning.

1 Like

Chrome
LibreOffice

I use good old Notepad a lot to… take notes. Show notes while I’m podcast editing so I know what to write for the description, stuff when I research WoW gear so I can keep track what I’m looking for

Reaper for compression + Vegas for audio editing

I bought the pay version of MediaMonkey for my audio library and ripping CDs. It works fine.

1 Like

Browser: Brave
Text editor: Left for rough copies and then I move to Word or Google Docs depending on if I need to edit with other people (I’m not satisfied with either as full-fledged text editors). I code in Notepad++ or VS depending on the situation.
Music: iTunes because I’m a sap stuck with an old iPhone and I’m not managing two collections of 1000+ albums.
Video: MPC-HC because it still works
Video editing: NCH Videopad idk why
Screen capture: FRAPS although I’m sure there are better alternatives these days

Also I use Win10 LTSC since 7 is becoming less and less of a viable option and I can’t imagine using vanilla 10.

OBS is free and easy. Kind of an industry standard for streamers.

3 Likes

IINA is a good Mac video player.

I’m not a dev person, but for the web stuff I’ve made in the past 5 years or so I’ve used Brackets, Adobe’s open-source web-focused text editor, I like it.

1 Like

I refuse to use anything but Notepad for editing HTML and CSS, but for actually taking notes I would recommend trying out OneNote. It’s free and very good. Assuming you have not already tried it and prefer Notepad.

1 Like

I think it’s a miracle that reaper exists

I don’t really love any software outside of that, even ableton is kind of a nonstarter and I only ever use it to record my weeklybeats stuff because I know the audio effects

I feel like my use of software is 99% knowing that something out there is probably better than what I have but being too lazy to actually go out there and find it

oh and sunvox! sunvox is amazing and I should use it more

4 Likes