Snexploration 16 voting!!

It’s voting time! Because of reasons, I am late on this!!! I don’t care because I’m seeing Star Wars tonight so fu—

um sorry anyway

We got a real fresh batch this time, so without further adue:

Captain Commando

Captain Commando is my favorite beat-em-up, primarily because it has a mecha-riding baby (pictured above). It’s by Capcom so you know it has to be good. It took me 5 years to understand that Captain Commando is a play on Capcom.

Ninja Gaiden Trilogy

This one is actually a little strange, because yeah it’s an SNES port of a NES games but it’s mostly unchanged. The graphics are mostly the same (except for the cutscenes). It’s like an anti-Super Mario All Stars. It’s really expensive on ebay.

Anyway, Ninja Gaiden is a legendarily difficult and apparently really good platformer action game. You play as a ninja. There are birds I guess? Evil birds. And this is three of them! Three games, not three birds.

Urban Strike

This is the sequel to Jungle Strike which itself was a sequel to Desert Strike. Just so you know, the game Desert Strike came before Operation Desert Strike, the real-life thing where a bunch of missiles got launched at Iraq. Did they name it after the game???

Anyway. This is an isometric helicopter game. It looks pretty cool. Probably pretty jingoistic but HEY it’s the 90’s!

Vote early vote often folks

4 Likes

The real operations were Desert Shield and Desert Storm

Is this the first round of Snexploration voting with 3x real ass games??

Nope

urban strike is slightly futuristic in setting. i had (the mega drive version of) it as a kid, and if i remember rightly, it’s about rupert murdoch trying to take over the world, and the plucky helicopter pilot who can stop him (by blowing up tons of stuff and picking people up with a rope ladder)

there’s also, non-helicopter bits that aren’t very good! and elvis is in las vegas!

anyway, i’m voting for it because it’s the least well-known of the three.

also you never made a thread for the mr. tuff episode

3 Likes

i’m a real organizational nightmare, hopefulyl everyone just subscribed on itunes or something

I’m going purely on hearsay but I think the NG trilogy port was considered really inferior

also NG1 is bad, don’t @ me

1 Like

all of the strike games are afaik superior on mega drive (vs snes) which is the platform for which they were intended

i heard the amiga port of desert strike has some updated graphics

nuclear strike on psx runs at unlocked ~20 FPS while nuclear strike on n64 runs at 60 FPS. little known facts

anyway, it would be a real shame to play urban strike before desert and jungle, which are probably superior

BUT THE DIE WILL FALL WHERE IT MAY

@CourierRice and yes the NG trilogy is trash on SNES. music is inferior & seems to be some weird input delay which is pretty unacceptable for a game as tight as NG

3 Likes

I voted for STRIKE despite mech baby and citing mech baby in the podcast episode and finding out the SNES STRIKES suffer from slowdown

still HERE COMES MECH BABY

1 Like

I think Ninja Gaiden Trilogy is a bad “port”, but

OG series Ninja Gaiden is so rad.

When I got a WebTV, I found out you could embed MIDIs (and Real Audio files!) into your e-mail signatures and this was the first thing I embedded and drove people crazy with.

Ninja Gaiden II - The Dark Sword of Chaos (USA)-j2

guydan

2 Likes

i bet youve explained this somewhere and im sorry but ive only listened to a couple eps so far, how do you select the 3 games up for voting?? Also i dont have twitter so i cant vote : (

Clint has a spreadsheet of every SNES release and just feeds it into a randomizer. You can make a Twitter and just use it to vote, you don’t have to frequent it.

1 Like

All these games suck, damn.

1 Like

You can check out the full spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_1uZIiOxOnMH-xaFem3dKdjJFDlLMo1mL1fcMxkwf38/edit?usp=sharing

It’s based on a list by the person who runs https://twitter.com/suprise_news, but I had to manually add the North America/Europe only games. I’ve got a column of random numbers on the right side, and I simply sort by those to get the next three. Those numbers change every time I sort so it’s always fresh. Sometimes I cheat just a little and will re-roll a new three when I really hate the three that come up.

Anyway, I knew a few people here have twitter accounts just to vote so yeah, you can do that!!!

none of these games are Super Back to the Future Part 2

1 Like

I’m as upset as you are, but one day

NEW EPISODE IS OUT !!!

It’s a long one so I hope you love our voices!!

2 Likes

i’m only half an hour in, but i have this to say: mother russia bleeds isn’t a pure beat em up as it’s impossible to get a game over.
in fact, it’s barely a game at all.
beat em ups are good though

1 Like

I didn’t say this during the podcast so I’m glad you brought it up so now I can:

Fuck mother Russia bleeds

2 Likes

If I had actually been there when Death Wish was brought up I might have brought up that Bronson plays a wealthy architect in that movie. He starts out as a pacifist liberal but then his family is ATTACKED by SCUMBAGS so he starts ventilating poor people and never actually finds the people who did crimes to his family. But he really loves murder now, it’s like his new family, so everything is sort of OK.

So he’s basically protecting the sanctity of the upper class from the predation of the boogeyman poors thus he may as well be cop?

Death Wish is pretty much the only venerable action series where the hero doesn’t follow the money to the top and just hangs out killing “criminals” the whole time. They are intensely reactionary movies.

The idea that there was more than like one half of one person on this podcast who said “beat em ups are bad” made me almost crash my car

5 Likes