SNExploration 15: Maten Densetsu - Senritsu no Ooparts!!! Sign up thread

I’ve already got 5 people total, so I’m looking for 1 more. First come first serve, so hit that doodle link below:

https://doodle.com/poll/9h9yk6hdgkf8cda8

Maten Densetsu - Senritsu no Ooparts

This game looks to be a bit of an SMT ripoff, but in a good way. It’s Japanese only but it does have English Menus. Feidian has also translated the items and given us a cheat code, plus there is a full english walkthrough. It’s all included in the ROM pack.

The Salaryman game is

Leading Jockey 2

(image

“Leading Jockey 2 is a horse racing game for the Super Famicom and the sequel to 1994’s Leading Jockey. As with its predecessor, the game is more concerned with the actual racing aspect of the sport than the simulation/gambling aspects that take the forefront in franchises like Derby Stallion or Thoroughbred Breeder.”

I’m interested to see how this compares to Battle Jockey

The link to the discord is below, which is good for hanging out with us, but ALSO has the ROMs. Find the ROMs in the #resources channel.

As a reminder, we discuss the game based on 5 topics, listed below without description:

• Gun
  • Vanity
  • Mystery
  • Poetry
  • Harmony

If you’re recording, please play the main game for an hour or so, and take a couple of notes on those 5 topics.

And for Salary Man Corner, seriously, don’t spend more than 5 minutes on it unless you’re really digging it.

5 Likes

This gets my vote for being a game with Terada designs.

ooparts_1ooparts_2

Apparently, “OoPArts” means “Out of Place Artifacts”.

5 Likes

def reflects my relationship with my ooparts

as much as i’d like to make you play that shit-looking brainies thing, an smt knock off about ooparts is way too tempting

1 Like

All right, some things that might be frustrating re: playing Out of Place Artifacts: the Cyberpunk RPG:

The world map looks cool, but it’s all just ruins with no indication of what you can enter and what’s just scenery. I was just hugging the sides as much as I could. When I did find a dungeon, it was a whole lot of nothing. Long corridors and empty rooms. No items, no NPCs (I’ve only seen a few NPCs, and they were on the world map, again, with no indication that they’re there) I only found one item so far, a lot of x5 Bio Drugs (restores ~20HP), and I don’t think that was even in a dungeon, it was just a spot that I happened to hug up against on the overworld that gave me an item. Fortunately, the encounter rate is actually really decent. A shop would be nice, considering I’ve only found 5 Bio Drugs with no clue as to how else I’m supposed to heal once those are depleted.

The dungeons also suffer from the same issue as SMT in that everything looks the same so you can get kind of mixed up, but the doors also blend in with the walls in this, so it’s really easy to just jog by a door if you’re not paying attention to the auto-map.

Maten Densetsu - Senritsu no O-parts (J)050
I found the color of the doors too similar to the walls to be distinguishable when dungeon crawling.

Maten Densetsu - Senritsu no O-parts (J)051Maten Densetsu - Senritsu no O-parts (J)054

I understand the point they were trying to get across – everything is abandoned, the people have gone Underground and only the monsters remain, so of course buildings are empty – but in execution it just feels unfinished. I think if, instead of making all of these pointless rooms “explorable”, they instead were event scenes that had an illustration with a dialogue box explaining some of the details of the room, it would’ve been a bit more engrossing.

Maten Densetsu - Senritsu no O-parts (J)053

Get used to this!

I made this code to make your current HP 255 in case anybody gets stuck without any healing items and can’t proceed: 7E15FCFF
It works for Reiji, but I’m not sure about anyone else.

2 Likes

Oh shit nice! This is the good shit. I’ll take that code and put it in the ROM pack.

There’s also a complete walkthrough with some general translations of what’s happening:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/581925-maten-densetsu-senritsu-no-ooparts/faqs/25084

Also yeah, my editorializing broke this poll. No regrets.

unbelievable

Maten Densetsu - Senritsu no O-parts (J)043

Because it’s not readily apparent what everything does when upgrading your stats (since you don’t actually level up):

PSY = [Psycho Points] (MP) Only the heroine can use Psychic Powers, none of the selectable five can, as far as I know

ENG = [Energy] EXP, basically. You get it by defeating monsters and use it to increase your stats rather than leveling up.

IMG = [Imagination] The limit of ENG that can be used when increasing stat points (?) PP increases it slightly, and ME and IQ increase it by a lot (I’m not 100% certain on this)

PHYSICAL

PS = Attack Power
PE = HP
PP = Accuracy and speed of attack, IMG (small amount)

MENTAL

MS = Magic Power
ME = PSY/IMG
IQ = IMG

4 Likes

I quickly translated a list of consumable items to English and included their Japanese name so anyone that needs it can reference.

Japanese English ENG Description
バイオドラッグ Bio Drug 10 Restores 25% of total HP
FBドリンク FB Drink 30 Restores 50% of total HP
リジェネバンド Regenband 80 Restores 100% of total HP
Cレーション C Ration 45 Restores 20% of total HP/PSY
Bレーション B Ration 90 Restores 50% of total HP/PSY
Aレーション A Ration 180 Restores 100% of total HP/PSY
清涼剤 Tonic 15 Treats CONFUSION
カフェイン錠剤 Caffeine Pill 15 Treats SLEEP
トランキライザー Tranquilizer 15 Treats HALLUCINATION
神経回復剤 Nerve Recovery Agent 15 Treats PARALYSIS
ハーブガム Herbal Gum 5 Restores 25% of total PSY
コーヒー Coffee 15 Restores 50% of total PSY
ブラックキャンディ Black Candy 40 Restores 75% of total PSY
マジックドリンク Magic Drink 80 Restores 100% of total PSY
4 Likes

I was very tempted to vote for The Brainies based on that screenshot, but after watching 5 minutes of it on video I determined that it would be supremely unethical for me to subject y’all to that level of suffering.

Yo if you’re free on the weekend of the 7th, do you want to join the podcast? This is more work than I have put into any game we have played haha

Sure, what do I have to do?

So we can do markdown tables now? : D

Yeah, I use a generator, though, because I don’t want to do that by hand.

Yeah, md table syntax is kinda bunk. But tables are nice to have! They were plug-in only before iirc.

the soundtrack for this game vexes me so much (both the in-game audio and the ?remastered? album, SRCL-3446 - it’s on khinsider)
actually the whole thing is overall vexing. How did this game come about? Why did the developers involved choose to make…this?
I think it’s neat that you have one single resource to use to level up and also create items.

it used to be spread around the internet that the art design was by Yoshitaka Amano, I guess based upon the fact that he released an artbook/collection called Maten (a decade beforehand). You can still find this misinformation here and there.

I’ll put up a sign up thing next week with instructions and I’ll ping you then

iirc, gremlins are from the lore of british wwi fighter pilots

First post is now the sign up post, scroll up to sign up. I’m only looking for one more and I’m just doing it first come first serve so uh, be fast I guess!!!

actually i’m a big idiot, somehow missed that nocode signed up last night

uh registrations are closed now