smash fighting and platforms together

1 Like

don’t worry, we can throw the whole thing in the garbage right away

5 Likes

Are Smashklonen actually considerably easier to make than regular vsfightman or what

1 Like

possibly? this isn’t the first time there’s been a boom of them. there were a ton of licensed anime smash clones in the early 00s.

Probably a broader casual audience? Regular fightmans don’t have the reputation of being easy to pick up and play.

1 Like

On one hand, Smash has had perk systems since Brawl and nobody ever actually cared about them enough to use them.

On the other hand, this is a free-to-play game, so there is a 99% percent chance this system is the reason all the gameplay in that trailer looks so slow and anemic.

Not looking forward to this.

1 Like

Absolutely not.

4 Likes

there are way more physics implications and player states/animations to deal with on top of platforming collision and dealing with four player mayhem and multiple peer to peer netcode (assuming it’s rollback)

1 Like

there’s a reason slippi is a miracle and it’s mostly that rollback is hard in platform fighters

still feel like no platform fighter has managed to be as good as melee

Tony The Game Director!

1 Like

good art direction is about the only positive i can say about this, honestly.

platform fighter? really? it’s such a difficult genre with, far as i can tell from casually watching the scene, an enormous amount of churn due to high execution/cognitive barriers for competitive play. most people i know that play smash do it in spurts; play for a week or two, then never play again. i only play it sometimes as well, and other games with smash mechanics are instantly offputting to me (like Abyss Odyssey)

i guess we’ll see. maybe this is just my anti-smash bros bias showing, but i really don’t think this is the right direction for a multi-property WB game. Especially since there’s vertical progression in multiplayer (barf)

1 Like

who will be the first to make super robot wars/project x zone with western properties

1 Like

too many numbers

This is also a huge issue with the genre as any title is going to have the giant of Melee standing on its shoulders – it’s a near-unsurmountable combination of powerful nostalgia, Nintendo-level polish, and association with the Nintendo IP, the Smash team itself struggle with it immensely; how are other developers even going to manage?

i.e. I don’t think any platform fighter can be “as good as melee” as long as Melee is still the defining title of the genre.

3 Likes

well then, i think it’s great that they’ve set themselves a horribly difficult task

2 Likes

melee isnt really that good lol

4 Likes

street fighter 6 should be a ‘platform fighter’

2 Likes

I feel like I’m more down with this for some reason. It’s just not the same if it’s not a big IP orgy I guess

2 Likes

Oh lord wait now it’d be Disney vs Capcom

Darth Vader vs the Giant Vampire Lady

3 Likes

nintendo’s already twelve steps ahead of all of these dopes. my research on the dank web indicates smash 6 will include a robust political debate simulator, making it the truest “platform” fighter yet.

8 Likes