Simple 2000 Series Vol. 81- The King of Fighters XV

Yeah, those are really nice. If anyone doesn’t know, those are indeed official art but they were just pictures SNK posted on their website and/or in the KOF13 mobile game’s gallery. I don’t know if those are all of them. I feel like they also did Hinako but I could be mis-remembering. But it was cool to see people drawn in the KOF13 artstyle and imagine what they could have looked like animated.

I remember one of the fun things before KOF14 was people posting edits of the cutscenes from the KOF and Fatal Fury pachislot games and pretending they were from a new fighting game.

Yeah, whatever they do next for KoF will almost certainly be stylized to heck and sideways. Someone whose identity I forget commented on that already; that they learned a lot doing the new Samurai Shodown and so the next KoF is going to look exponentially better as a result. I’m just curious what look they’ll settle on.

And I’ll be super-duper perplexed if Ash isn’t playable, given the way the last game ended. He, and a bunch of other dead or dreadfully unlikely people.

1 Like

MAX IMPACT 3

5 Likes

I cannot wait to see this graphical prowess unleashed on KOF.

Image-858057

Image-685110

5 Likes

Symbolic blood potion to you, even though I still had a couple of paragraphs left and some thoughts.

Was originally going to post this in the videogame things you think about a lot thread, but decided it was a better fit here:

One of the things that I often think about re: KOF is just how much the team dynamic adds to the series. It could have easily been an afterthought–just a way to distinguish it from other fighting games. Instead, it feels like an extremely elegant way to do a lot of storytelling, in a way that feels both very videogamey and also unique.

Take Yuri in the first three games. In the first two games, her story is that she’s formed the women’s team in order to spite her family after they refuse to allow her on their team. Then you get KoF 96, where suddenly, she’s part of the Kyokugen team. Even without all the supplementary material—of which there is fair amount, but not a whole lot, in absolute terms—that tells you something. It’s arguably more development than Ryu’s ever gotten.

And there’s just so many bits just like that. There’s Shingo, who begins as a single entry Kyo-fanboy, gets adopted by Benimaru, eventually gets to join the Japan Team, even taking Kyo’s spot, and then actually gets to join a team without Benimaru in it. There’s Benimaru himself, with all his team-hopping, which makes him distinct from Daimon, who is a regular, but will only ever join one team, and appears to only do KOF when it fits on his schedule. Iori, like Benimaru, does a fair amount of team-hopping, but it feels…less deliberate? Like, he’s been on teams with both Ramon, Chizuru, and Billy Kane—who else can claim that sort of variety?

(And yet, curiously, Benimaru and Iori have never been on the same team.)

Or heck, just take Seth and Vanessa in KOF 2000. Their similar aesthetics would have still been suggestive if they’d been Street Fighter characters, but the fact that they’re introduced on opposing teams suggests so much more, and makes them so much cooler.

KOF XI will always be one of my favorite entries because of what it does with the teams: none of them retain a previously existing configuration. A Terry / Kim / Duck King Fatal Fury Team? Yes, please. And then comes XIII, which is just whiplash-inducing in its traditionalism; the only interesting team is Team Korea, which is surprising but becomes less so when you consider that the last time that team had its usual configuration was 2002, and that it has only become weirder since.

The King of Fighters XIV has a team made up of existing characters whose only link is being born in Mexico and having wrestling as a fighting style, and I find that fantastic.

4 Likes

Sorry! Wanted to edit, and accidentally deleted. It’s back now!

I think a lot of this stuff works due to at least basic character backgrounds (I don’t know if you included those as part of “supplementary material”). If Yuri was part of the Kyokugen Ryu team one game and then the Womens team the next, I think it would be really easy to read that as way of just theming the organization of the character select screen as the game’s cast grew. They’re just faces on the screen.

But with the background story, it’s another thing you can think about when filling in blanks like you have to do with fighting game stories. So much of the character building of fighting games have been people interpreting character personalities and relationships through ending sequences, and then win quotes once custom win quotes became a thing. A team structure just adds another bit of information on top, because you can see direct character affiliations and track how that changes.

I’ll always say the advantage KOF has always had over every other fighting game franchise was its yearly sequels that were counted as completely new iterations of the franchise, not just upgraded version. SF has so little plot because almost all of it comes from SF Alpha 1-3, which is the only time the franchise has had actual sequels, timeline wise. SF2 and SF3 only got system upgrades rather than sequels, so those eras saw no additional story. It’s the same thing with SF5. It keeps getting new version but story wise what you got on day 1 is all you have, despite several new characters who could make interesting additions to the plotlines. SF2, 3, and 5 were also all released spiritually as reboots as well, so they’ve purposely kept character bios and personalities similar to how they’ve always been.

But KOF treated every game as a sequel to the previous one. It’s had new characters bios every year, new endings every year, new win quotes every year, new team organizations every year. It had a literal decade of yearly sequels with which to keep adding new stories and information on its cast, building a history and character development to a degree no other fighting game could match.

5 Likes

I think my favorite team concept for each game though is the Hero Team. It always presents right there who the heroes of that game are; these are the main characters. These are the face of the game. It’s cool to see how that can change from game to game and even moreso make a definitive statement when a new Saga starts. This is the Person the new game is about. Kyo is still around, but K’ is the new star.

Then when you get to the Ash Saga the series swerves and says Ash is the main character but it isn’t going to tell you who he is. He is presented definitively as the protagonist on the character select screen but story wise he acts like an antagonist. He’s out to beat all of the previous heroes and the mystery of his motivations was supposed to be the defining story of that saga (even though it ended up as a mess overall, probably due to the trouble SNK started going through and the more difficult development circumstances).

I always loved Ash and the idea of the Ash Saga because of that.

I’m really waiting for the Kensou Saga at this point though. The China Team being the new main characters is as good a time as any to do it!

4 Likes

Seriously, those guys need to be foregrounded more. Both the China team and the Psycho Soldiers.

2 Likes

Yeah! Ideally we’d get a return of the Hizoku subplot, but I’d settle for a bunch more interaction, and maybe some team mixing–we could have Shun’ei / Kensou / Tung on one team, and Athena / Bao / Meitekun on the other.

(Alternatively, I would really go for a Duo Lon / Kensou / Bao team.)

You’re right: the teams wouldn’t be nearly as effective without the intros, win quotes, character backstories, etc. doing a lot of the heavy lifting. It would perhaps be more accurate to say that the teams–or, perhaps more precisely, the focus on relationships*–is KOF’s storytelling secret sauce.

You’re also right that the regularity of new installments, and the series’ shifting focus, made it much easier for characters and relationships to evolve in interesting ways. The series really reminds me of things like Chris Claremont’s X-Men that way.

(KOF XI is Australia-era X-Men, KOF XIII is the Jim Lee X-Men.)

2 Likes

should lean all the way into the hizoku plotline and make these weirdos playable

3 Likes

So, someone SNK is in Smash now.

Easy bets are Haohmaru or Nakoruru, given cross-promotion whatsis. The fun, more Nintendoey specimen would be Ralf/Clark, with Ikari outfits.

2 Likes

I haven’t played a Smash Brothers with any thoroughness since Melee, but it seems to me Athena would be ridiculously easy to integrate, given her moveset–so much so, that I can imagine it lessening the chances of the character being her–she’d have nothing to add, gameplay-wise.

1 Like

She is also quite literally an avatar for SNK as a company. More than a mascot, even; their “Playmore” alter ego comes from an alternative translation of her name, fwiu.

2 Likes

I just want the entire Metal Slug crew. 1 character, 4 skins. Playing as them will make weapon pick ups spawn around the map regardless of item settings, they’re the only ones who can pick them up. Call in Ikari Warriors crew for final smash.

3 Likes

You’ll get someone from Metal Slug Attack instead.

1 Like

I just feel like it has to be terry bogard as boring of a prospect that that is

I would settle for Iori Yagami

fio, athena and nakoruru make the most sense for smash from a gameplay perspective, but I can’t lie about who i really wantjin-fuhachi