Simple 2000 Series Vol. 81- The King of Fighters XV

Arc made Battle Fantasia to learn 3d and now they’re making Xrd. Maybe in 10 years, SNK will make 3d games that look as good as KOFXIII!

Reassembling old glories is at least a bit heartwarming for an old fan like me, but most of the interview is complete bullshit especially the 3d bits. SNKP already made the fairly nice/ok looking Maximum Impact games, not to mention 3d was a big part of Kof12-13 process.

These unused models were already pretty sweet, and this was before Xrd.

I think SNK has hemorrhaged a lot of staff, especially if you count back to the MI days. Even with lack of textures or shading on the characters the game would leagues better with a different art style.

I get that everyone thinks this looks terrible, but I really am excited that there’s going to be another KoF. This series continues to hold my interest through the years and I’m grateful it’s still alive and kicking. I’m going to buy this one if it comes to Steam so that we hopefully get a XV and on and on.

XIII was a really amazing game, and remains a lot of fun and one of my favorite KoFs.

For sure, the gameplay looks as solid as people come to expect from KOF. KOF13 felt really good to play but I found the implementation of HD combos, seven second loops of the same 2-3 moves, a total buzzkill. They just weren’t that interesting as combos but they were fundamental for capitalizing off hit-confirms. In KOF14 it looks like a basic MAX combo with 2 bars does around 50% damage. It’s way more basic in execution but it does cut down on combo time and cuts to the chase. In relation to the other thread on meter management I wonder how people are going to prioritize meter use. Meter gain looks about as generous as 13 but will EX moves be worth the MAX mode activation or will people just end up saving it all for for guaranteed, damaging combos? I’m sure that combo up above could be ended with the level 3 super instead for one more bar (I think they still only cost 2 bars if you’re in max mode) and do even more damage.

Yup.

Robert has a mustache and beard, and Benimaru can easily punish from a distance with his new kick super. The trailer also shows K’. Taipei Game Show is this weekend so we should get a release date announcement and probably more footage.

This game has a strange je ne sais quois shit about it. I hate that phrase, but I think it’s fitting from my personal understanding of KoF. It’s clean and unmuddy and sharp. I particularly like special effects. That there’s no enhanced texturing going on makes it the anti-Unreal Engine game. Maybe that’s it. I dunno. I am liking it a lot lately, though.

edit: watching the trailer one more time, I think I’m really just digging the HD PS2 feel.

I want to say Benimaru’s model looks pretty nice but of course hair is static…

Was hoping for NGBC Robert, but ill-advised goatee Robert is nearly as good.

1 Like

I miss Beni’s chiseled abs.

I miss Benimaru’s leopard-print top.

4 Likes

I haven’t watched it yet but a KOF14 presentation was streamed from Taipei Game Show. I’m sure some new info must be floating out there but there’s game footage. The presentation starts at http://www.twitch.tv/tgslive/v/38298680?t=04h51m30s and the gameplay demo starts at http://www.twitch.tv/tgslive/v/38298680?t=05h07m59s. Is the guy on the left Gamerbee? Edit: Yes, and the other player is RB. (It says so right at the bottom)

Edit: Disclaimer, the game is still in development etc. but your teammates still don’t hang out in the background.
Edit 2: Iori canceled his super into what I assume was his level 3 but he whiffed it and he left this cloud of purple sparks that exploded after a while. That’s new. Also everyone looks really skinny in this game.

Always loved this so much but let’s be frank, no game past 98 had this. Also I’ll bet you money that their engine will chug to hell w/ 6 models on screen

I’m playing some SamShoVSP right now. You guys have any tips?
I’m reading:

I recall Mauve and Deets writing stuff about it. Actually, that mizuumi page is probably all Mauve, lol

EDIT: oh yeah, this is what I was thinking of: http://shoryuken.com/2014/02/25/deep-cuts-why-samurai-shodown-v-special-is-the-best-fighting-game-youve-never-played/

Such a classy game. I wish there were more like it.

1 Like

Oddly enough, as far as modern games go Koihime Musou/Enbu probably come the closest to succeeding that style. The neutral is basically 100% grounded footsies with very little by way of pressure or combos, except for the occasional fatal counter leading into 50%+ damage.

Persona you bum this is the KOF thread not general fighting game thread! But yeah, the Mizzumi wiki by mauve is probably the best resource on the game. That one guy who always plays random (I assume he’s the same person from GGPO) always kicks my butt too. If you want to play online sometime let me know on twitter or whatever method you use! I love the game and still play it off and on when I can. agrajag is right in that the Koihime series is probably the closest thing we have to a modern Samurai Shodown. The damage output on attacks is lower but the game design is essentially Samurai Shodown. It’s actually a lot of fun from what I’ve played of it but it could use some more options to prevent players from getting too defensive. If you’ve got a PS4 I can Shareplay it with you sometime.

I don’t think SamSho it’s a style of fighter that would be particularly popular nowadays.

well, they did make samurai showdown sen as a kind of modernised samurai shodown, and it’s kind of a mix between samsho and soul calibur. and it’s one of very few games in which you can decapitate and dismember children

edit:(i guess this can be a general snk thread or something now?)

Oh shoot, sorry, I thought this was the fightman thread :////

Can a mod move this to there? Or we can turn this into SNK general like loki suggests.

Quick question: you can special-cancel blocked attacks and whiffs but can you also cancel out of them by rolling or other movement options? I’m still trying to understand why/how stuff is happening in my playing.

I’m playing Nakoruru and it’s roughruru but she’s the character I have the most knowledge about. Can’t wait until she’s in glorious high res PS2 3D for KOF XIV!!

Also Drem: thanks for the offer but I don’t have a PS4. I’d like to get one to try SFV sometime but that’ll have to wait until I can afford it. Until then, I have SSVSP!

Too bad Tenkaichi doesn’t have a Steam port. I really enjoyed playing it back in the day especially all the ridiculous new characters like PRESIDENT ANDREW JACKSON, NAKED FIREWORKS MAN, and JAPANESE THEATER AUTOMATON.