Simple 2000 Series Vol. 81- The King of Fighters XV

That aderack he’s a real nice case.

I got the (Premium Edition) whole thing…though ps3/4-less…

The (art) book and CDs (if I didn’t already own the 13 CDs, speaking of, these are different enough to be worthwhile to some extent…) almost make it worth having…

This is the front, drawn by Falcoon (the third sleeve I didn’t unfold has a Sylvie’s portrait)

Here’s a playlist of the team themes: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQU_mk2ibrEYOvWThj-YaDlUYxdVvswCV

King of Dinosaur has no Dignity

Ryan Hart asked SNK staff some questions from the internet:

[quote]18. RH: Can you please explain the following: King of Dinosaur’s Climax move name “Tyra Mosa Dread Carno Gaoh”?

ODA SAN: I lined up the names of my favourite dinosaurs with a dinosaur scream at the end:

-(Tyra)nnosaurus Rex
-(Mosa)saurus
-(Dread)noughtus
-(Carno)taurus
Gaoh! (resembling a Dinosaur scream)

1. RH: Why is Joe’s Climax move name “Baku-Sla Golden Tiger”?

ODA SAN: In the same way as we lined up the Dinosaur names we lined up Joe’s special move names together.

-Bakuretsu ken
-Slash Kick
-Golden Heel

His special combination includes these moves in order so we named it in that order.

1. RH: Why is Love Heart’s throw name “Goodbye Chicken”?

ODA SAN: Love Heart’s design is quite sadistic so we thought Goodbye Chicken would be a good name for her move.[/quote]

For some actual gameplay discussion, Max Mode is very powerful in this game. A solid confirm into a Max cancel will net you ~400 damage or more just by comboing with your EX specials. A lot of EX specials will cause wall bounces or ground bounces, letting you extend combos but you can also use these properties to set up resets and mixups. Since you can max cancel out of any normal this adds extra power to long-reaching normals. Most far normals don’t seem cancelable but max cancels let you easily convert these hits into good damage. Things like Alice’s far LK, a low hitting move with a huge reach, becomes a really strong tool when you have 1 meter available for a max cancel.

With all those benefits of max canceling locking EX moves to max mode was an interesting choice to encourage raw max mode activations. Just giving longer max mode time wouldn’t be enough since the guaranteed damage of a max cancel would probably end up being the better, safer use of meter (like in previous KOFs). By giving you EX specials only during max mode this gives you a reason to enter max mode outside of combos- to broaden your tools. Some characters get different fireball properties (Andy’s fireball grows bigger and travels slower, controlling space), some characters get longer range, or faster startup, or guard points (happens to a lot of command throws), or other stuff. It’s the typical EX move stuff but this can help a lot of characters’ neutral games greatly if you opt to spend a meter on max mode outside a combo. I think that turned out pretty well.

But since all of those aforementioned benefits utilize 1 meter, I’m wondering where it leaves the role of the Level 1 Super. A max mode combo with EX specials will probably do about the same or more damage than a regular combo into a super move. Super can be utilized as a different option depending on the character- something like Alice’s QCFx2 P super is fast enough to punish some moves that the rest of her moves cannot. But outside of round-ending situations I wonder if people will just opt to save the meter for a max cancel.

The game feels great though. Having so many new characters to play and learn makes the game feel fresh.

ODA SAN taking a page from Kojima’s playbook, I see

[quote]#KOFXIV discovered special team mix. ninja (mai, andy, bandeiras), dragon(muimui, ryo, kensou), tiger(robert, joe, ramon)

@gatoray_kof bird(dinosaurs, nakoruru, zarina), masters(gangil, chin, tung), nests girl(kula, sylvie, angel) long hair(athena,kula,nakoruru)

@gatoray_kof lucky seven(alice, muimui, love heart), 2 left.[/quote]

Also, the netcode is bugged in every mode but party battle. This morning SNK said a patch fixing this was completed already so we’ll see how quickly Sony can get it through its certification process.

Edit: Apparently the # makes things bold in Discourse?

Defines levels of headers. one # is h1, ## is h2 and so on. to type a literal # at the beginning of a line you have to escape it like so

\#

# ←

I hate the future.

Love Heart crouching C!

A lot of the endings in this are pretty good.

Tons of fanservice, too. Seems like the Women’s team ending has almost the whole cast of FF cameoing

MAJOR SPOILERS. COMPLETELY SHOCKING!!!1

Compilation of the special intros:

1 Like

these are some really long intros… i expected something more like the “kyo and iori compare flames” bit

This is actually toned down from KOF13 which had pre-battle conversations and unique win-quotes for every single character combination.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/632923-the-king-of-fighters-xiii/faqs/70430

I hope every ending is just as detailed about the intricacies of running a restaurant as the Art of Fighting ending.

2 Likes

The mexico team ending has Tizoc King of Dinosaurs pondering training and nutrition routines and wondering how they fit with the Dinosaur kayfabe

KOF Team still likes Akira a lot, I guess.

This track plays in the battle in a destroyed sports arena.

3 Likes

So, things are getting interesting.

Is Kukri really Duo Lon? I mean, I’ve always thought he’s similar.

I’ve only gotten a handful of endings so far but this is what I’ve pieced together. This game doesn’t have any sort of antagonist as far as I have seen and is more about setting up plot points for the new arc and establishing an excuse to bring back dead characters. Verse seems like a random nobody at first but you can put a lot of details together through the information you learn in different endings.

Verse isn’t a sentient being most likely. Verse is an amalgamation of souls from different times and worlds and their hatred, vying to come back to life, and it is a phenomena that appeared as a result of time and space being manipulated in KOF13. Nakoruru refers to it as “Wei Kamu” and supposedly it is also mentioned in Hakkyoku Seiken scrolls per the Southtown Team’s ending. When Verse blows up the souls scatter and different characters find different beings inside the craters where the souls crashed afterwards (whether there is supposed to be one crater and it’s different in each ending or each ending shows one of many craters that were created when Verse exploded I have no idea).

In Kyo’s team’s ending Chizuru locates a crater and in Iori’s team’s ending they three go to the crater and find Orochi clawing his way out. They kill him. In Kukri’s team’s pre-Verse cutscenes you see that Kukri was specifically waiting for Verse and was looking for someone inside him. After Verse explodes he finds the crater and brings his employer, Elizabeth, because his job was to recover the guy who was in Verse, who is now in a crater, naked and unconscious- Ash Crimson. Also from the Iori team ending, at the beginning of it Vice and Mature say something about everything being “restored” but all of their dialogue is so cryptic that I have no idea what they’re about. Maybe their team bio might elucidate something about their motivations. They didn’t seem upset at Iori leaving them to go kill Orochi though.

Verse has some special win dialogue for certain characters where he quotes old KOF bosses (like Orochi), implying all these old KOF characters are stuck inside him. So he’s a big excuse to allow SNK to bring back any character in future games. Additionally, in the China Team’s cutscenes you see that Verse is trying to pull Shun’ei’s powers out of him and when he explodes he blows up into red and blue flames, much like Shun’ei’s flames. In the ending Shun’ei proclaims this is a power he has to overcome and likens it to the struggle Iori and Leona faced so Shun’ei’s powers may come from an ill source.

I’m not sure where the Kukri = Duo Lon theory comes from. His dialogue portrays him as very young (the joke I made about him being 14 may not be that far off the mark)- he’s petulant, dirty mouthed, references the internet and is enamored by buxom women. He even calls Zarina “Grandma Flowerbloom” and Zarina is of course a young woman. He’s quite different from Duo Lon and even Lin.

There’s some other stuff being prodded at like Maxima becoming suspicious when he sees Nelson’s robot arm, implying NESTS may be involved. Sylvie has an inferiority complex and is jealous of Kula for being a “final version” so Sylvie was probably less an employee of NESTS and instead one of their experiments.

I’ve got a dumb theory about Antonov being Rugal and I’ll stick to it.

5 Likes

The Duo Lon thing is pretty superficial, and you’re right that his personality doesn’t add up unless it’s an act of some sort. It’s just that:

• His identity is secret
  • He has a similar build and way of holding himself
  • He occupies a similar space in the roster
  • In the ending we see he has a braid like Duo Lon’s
  • He’s secretly working as an agent of Elizabeth

Got the art book, which will have to do until the game actually comes out on something other than a console. Interesting stuff in there! Also, it probably shouldn’t have come as a surprise, but I was a bit disappointed to see that the alternate colors appear to be actual alternate colors, and not any sort of Maximum Impact 2 wackiness. I wasn’t expecting Evangelion cosplay, but I was hoping for at least some alternate patterns or logos and whatnot.

Athena has different school uniform patterns for her dress with her other colors!

Athena always gets the love.