short rpg

Riviera: The Promised Land is a little more than 20 hours depending on how much of the extra stuff you do outside of the main story

1 Like

the world ends with you fucked up my touchscreen SO BAD i wonder if i play it now, older and calmer, if i can still use my ds after beating it. i should probably just play on switch tho

ugh now i have songs from it stuck in my head I DON’T EVEN LIKE CALLING BUT I SURE KNOW ALL THE LYRICS

2 Likes

i didn’t realize until recently that THG was directed by kazunari yonemitsu, the writer-director-designer of baroque! i have no idea why he isn’t credited anywhere on the wikipedia page for the latter, since the project was his baby to a degree uncommon for most games before or since, but he’s listed as such everywhere else. i guess he wasn’t involved in the remake? he also developed aleste and madou monogatari/puyo puyo. i don’t think he thought too highly of THG, though. here’s an interview he did around 2000: https://pastebin.com/yTAurVen

2 Likes

Shadowrun: Dragonfall for sure, possibly Hong Kong too, I only ran through it the once.

1 Like

just asked christine and she said 12-16 hours, which sounds right on the money :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fallout 1 is paced incredibly well and lasts about 15 hours, Alpha Protocol is about 12, and they both make up for it with hugely branching paths that cry for replays.

3 Likes

Icewind Dale, minus its insane expansion, and Paper Sorcerer both work.

1 Like

Shadowrun for the SNES is a little under 15 hours long if you know what you’re doing and you grind in optimal spots.

1 Like

oh, mario rpg

4 Likes

yeah Super Mario RPG is a pretty quick one and so’s the first Paper Mario. and they both rule

4 Likes

Mario and Luigi is also nice and brisk!! Dang, the Mario RPGs are all pretty good huh?

I mean, Gamecube and earlier basically, everything after has been pretty meh

I haven’t managed to get it to run yet, how long is a playthrough of Disco Elysium?

I took 14 hours according to steam

Phew, I’m on topic.

Undertale

2 Likes

And Delta Rune is even shorter!

Ys 1 is crazy short. I was like “man this first tower was pretty good”, and that was the end of the game. I wasn’t even mad! It was perfect!

7 Likes

somebody should make an Ys game that retains the bump system to attack enemies, except there are pinball physics and Adol is basically a pinball. ys video rpg pinball would be rad.

12 Likes

Creature in the Well is neat enough for the first hour but that’s more of a baseball/Breakout action game

Yoku’s Island Express proves that a pinball-platformer is a self-nullifying concept, it really doesn’t work at all and the lovely art and mood is outright deceptive

3 Likes

well i bet my homies at hudson and/or compile could’ve figured something fun out.

1 Like