short rpg

Phantasy Star is around 10 hours I think

3 Likes

<_<

9 Likes

Only if you keep good dungeon notes; otherwise itā€™s 1000+.

1 Like

it depends on how well you know the game, i think. there can be a lot of getting stuck in certain dungeons because the automapping can be pretty terrible and that can really inflate your playtime.

Contact is definitely less than 20 hours. Terranigma is roughly 20 hours? RoboTrek a little bit less than that. Sweet Home is no more than 10. DemiKids is probably around 15. Costume Quest is pretty short. Arcana is also short. Magic Knight Rayearth is super short.

1 Like

Yeah play my RPG Maker game, too. Itā€™s only an hour long.

6 Likes

Iā€™m gonna keep an eye out for this thread because Iā€™d also like short JRPGs. I loved Chrono Trigger for having just such incredibly brisk pacing and after that I went ā€œoh letā€™s jump into the other JRPG everyone raves about, Final Fantasy VII!ā€ and I just hhhhated it for not feeling as brisk (Iā€™m enjoying the Remake a lot though, ironically? the new presentation, writing and battle system really add a lot to it)

Other short JRPGs are ā€œevery PokĆ©mon gameā€ and ā€œUndertaleā€

3 Likes

yeah imo final fantasy games are by and large a mushy bloated slog of disconnected systems/encounter design, its greatest successes are either speedy side games like x-2 and lightning returns or entries like viii and tactics which are practically designed to be broken

1 Like

The FF7 remake is definitely shorter and more direct in its routing than the original game. I donā€™t think itā€™d fall under 20 hours, but for a game of its heritage, I was very surprised at its brevity. In a good way.

1 Like

Also this thread got me to finally figure out Saturn emulation and Panzer Dragoon Saga has SUCH a great vibe so far.

5 Likes

best game

3 Likes

Child of Light is another sub-20 one that comes to mind although thereā€™s not got much going for it.

The Last Story is maybe just a bit over 20 but I really enjoyed it at the time. Itā€™s got a lot of unexpected scenarios and doesnā€™t mind deviating from the main quest a lot of the time (I assume because of Sakaguchiā€™s influence). Itā€™s a unique system, turning the magical aggro thing on and off and physically interacting with walls and stuff. Itā€™s a bit messy but I have a soft spot for it since it will likely be forgotten by many. Pretty decent OST as well. It also does an RPG trope I love which is that there are postgame sidequests that relate to how radically the world changes after the final boss.

2 Likes

soul blazer! i still need to go back and actually work thru the quintet snes series but i loved soul blazer a lot and it was a bit more brief than i expected

5 Likes

Vagrant story took me about 15 hours on the first playthrough.

Seconding smt1 of you have prior smt experience.

2 Likes

yeah i think i just have a knack for powering through these things very quickly because iā€™d say 10-15 for both of those
my approach is generally ā€˜run from everything, figure out what to do when i get to a roadblock bossā€™

1 Like

in ffix thereā€™s a secret weapon you can only get if you make it to the final dungeon in under 12 hours

2 Likes

iā€™m playing FF1 on the PS1 and actually it rules

i have no idea how long it is tho! iā€™m not done! i hope it is short tho

5 Likes

Currently playing through Dragon Quest 2 for the first time on my phone so this is a good thread for me. Iā€™m doing it without fast-forwarding (gasp) but Iā€™m using a ROM hack that is supposed to be closer to the original Japanese AND later DQ releases: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4273/

No idea if itā€™s actually true but I do like it and getting rid of Ye Olde Engelisehe is very good in my book. I get so tired of it.

Anyway, very pleasant so far, just got party member number 2 after aboutā€¦an hour, Iā€™d say?

Most JRPGs I play are under 20 hours (because I quit one quarter of the way through).

3 Likes

I seem to remember The World Ends With You is under 20 hours, or very close to it! One of my favorite games at the time, have not revisited it even once since I beat it.

2 Likes

I really had fun with TWEWY on Switch after dropping it quickly on the DS when it was new and I think a lot of it, besides the Switch screen being more touch-responsive, was because it didnā€™t overstay its welcome to me.

1 Like

treasure hunter g takes 20 or so hours to finish, depending on completionism

1 Like