Shin Mikami Tension

Year later, actually.

Huh, weird. No idea where that came from.

well, it was the time when cross-platform games were still coming out iirc, evil within being one of them

finally finished it and I keep to my previous opinion. the last hour is visually and atmospherically fantastic, but it can’t really redeem the last parts of the game completely.

my advice to anyone who is interested in playing it: pick Survival or even Easy difficulty and just go in guns blazing all the time. It’ll be far more enjoyable and possibly even challenging than going for stealth, since the dumb AI and incredibly lenient punishment for getting detected makes it such an unexciting bore.

it seems as if I dislike the game, but that’s not really true. just quite disappointed after the strong start.

1 Like

I finished this game like two weeks ago and it’s hard for me to remember anything but the beginning and end. Emerging from your first safe house and having the freedom to explore an entire town’s worth of stuff was really cool because the first area is so meticulously crafted and full of story beats.

There were tiny, little interactive set pieces littered across the first area which were enjoyable bite-size chunks of narrative exposition and gameplay tutorial but after that it just sort of plateaued for me, for whatever reason.

It wasn’t for lack of effort because this games does an admirable job of introducing new things at just the right time but none of it is particularly challenging, so I’m not so sure it stuck with me.

I think when the game starts becoming more narratively focused is when it becomes less engaging. I feel weird criticizing the Evil Within 2 because we aren’t going to get much more of this type of game and I also think it’s kind of the right step forward in saving single player games.

Oh yea, It has THE BEST sniper rifle in gaming history though.

1 Like
1 Like

Late game on Nightmare actually slowed me down quite a bit. Repetition rang hard after Stefano, left me impatient, and any sequence where I died a couple times made me want to come back days later.

There were some good bits in the second half and they really put a lot of work in. For how conventionally everything played out, Sebastian’s struggles up to the final chapter, along with that one piece of music, there were some stings in the cold and climax. But yeah everything before Theodore appeared felt much more engaging and fresh.

2 Likes

So now that they’ve cleared the table of Mobius and essentially all of Sebastian’s text backstory from the first game, they’re gonna have to make a sequel where Ruvik takes center stage again, right?

1 Like

I think you’re too optimistic about getting a sequel to this.

I was gonna say, this game surprisIngly happened, so who knows?

The Cell / Matrix / etc. angle would be tired if they continued with Mobius and all that, but given the right inspiration a Ruvik vs Kidman and whomever else story could be worthwhile.

So @Telengard has a video of this game coming soon. And to chase the diminishing trade in values of the one store that takes foreign games I have been playing this. There is also an hour long podcast of Adi talking about this game which is a semi-sequel to Him and Me talking about the first game for two hours.

And now I need to go to class so wil discuss what I wanted to later!!!

2 Likes

I listened to the Camouflaj episode the other day- was his name really pronounced Jams all this time? I think that’s the first time I’ve ever heard that pronunciation of that spelling.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Nah that’s just something they do?

This game made KC Green’s Cummy Mummy a reality.

1 Like

Just came to post this. The kind of thing that alters the experience enough for me to jump on a replay.

I tend to like third person horror a lot more for framing and narrative reasons but seeing a lot of the detail up close and in your face, could be pretty amazing.

@Telengard 's essay on the themes of this game:

http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/TEW2/MOF_TOC.htm

2 Likes

It’s been a little bit and this is still one of the all time great sb thread titles

If I bounced off the first game despite enjoying it in theory, would this be worth paying $$$ for y/n

1 Like

“Jams” is just a nickname. I go by many of them to confuse and amaze.

3 Likes

Depends on what you liked about the first game, but I’d say yes if you are really into third person horror-action.

Although the second half grows a bit more tedious and less inspired than the first, it’s quality overall. With plenty of artistic merit unfolded from TEW 1.