Share and talk about your writing

another 2 am synthesis of the same history and topic i’ve been trying to synthesize at 2 am for a year

while a lot of high-profile clubs and raves had harm reduction programs where you could test your drugs for quality and safety, some didn’t. and a couple of kids died because of this, and the government saw an opportunity to pass more laws that could get more non-violent drug offenders into the private prisons so they can have some cheap labor

this resulted in the RAVE act. the resisting american’s vulnerability to ecstasy act. which, if you try to read the name of this bill as something not even related to drugs, somehow actually makes more sense. like you’re trying to make americans resistant and invulnerable to beautiful ecstatic experiences. joe biden wrote this bill. he made a note of also previously writing a “crackhouse” bill, which similarly kind of went after the wrong targets in honestly more complex issues. joe biden has never been a lucid individual.

the rave act made venue owners and organizers also complicit in any drug-related offense or death that happened “under their watch.” posession, a death, soliciting, a cute little veteran grandpa that lets kids throw parties at his american legion could suddenly get all these charges. since mere posession could suddenly be charged against organizers, drug testing tables and harm reduction programs couldn’t come to the events that did happen. so if someone did somehow get some bad ecstasy into a club, and they did it anyways without testing it, and they died. that was because of the rave act. people weren’t gonna stop doing these drugs, this law made the only relatively safe and ideal places to enjoy and experiment with them just as dangerous as the street.

but wait, raves can still happen while everyone is sober, right? dancing is still fun! you’re right! but club culture became looked at so negatively by the media, government, and the music industry, that no one wanted to touch it outside of diy spaces. and even then, your diy venue would be better off and less of a beacon for police to come and do a mass arrest if you just played some trip-hop or twee indie rock. and punk shows only last like 2 hours and everyone is an alcoholic, which is a legal thing to be.

what can we extract from these events sociologically? generation x had their major political and cultural youth movement stripped away from them because it was too powerful. grunge does not count. if a potentially scalable political-ish subculture emerges in a major city, the city usually invites neolib yuppies to gentrify it so it can never actually flourish. i feel like this either happened with electroclash or this was electroclash. i don’t even know. what can we do about any of this? unrelated but what can we do about gamergate or even doritosgate? probably electing bernie sanders

i’ve only recently realized that no shit the american rave scene died after the rave act the way it did, even in legitimate clubs. no one wants to touch anything that could potentially put them in jail

joe biden singlehandedly changed the way nightlife and counter-culture worked. i am so sick of drinking ipas and listening to MAC DEMARCO

4 Likes

Want to write a Discordian sci fi novel about how black holes are used to create megacomputers to simulate consciousness but Smolin’s black holes -> new universes model is correct and the universe is also infinite so impossible complicated weird shit happens as a consequence.

1 Like

I am just finishing a story I began during the Fall. Feels juvenile but ambitious, which is probably good. But I am exited to be done with it and I want to share it just to see how it plays for people. I’ve been with it longer than any piece of fiction I’ve worked on, and I suspect the more I stare at it the less I know what I’m looking at anymore lol

It has been a serious endeavor for me, something I hope I learn from.

2 Likes

I had an essay published about the video game ANATOMY by Kitty Horrorshow this week. It was my grad application essay, but for this I had to cut it down from 5.5k words to 2.5k and, y’know what, I learned it doesn’t take as many words as you might think it does to say a thing.

http://www.firstpersonscholar.com/6867-2/

8 Likes
2 Likes

New long term work in progress

4 Likes

I wrote a short essay on my thoughts on how to capture genre (and specific feelings in general) in table top rpgs.

3 Likes

Hey all I just finished writing something up. It’s the most personal thing I’ve ever written and it’s also about Persona 4. It’s also the first bit of games writing I’ve ever put online, out of myriad discarded essays. I’d really like it if it would be read. I’ve been a lot more timid about this kind of thing in the past anyway. Someone was nice enough to read it in the action button discord earlier and I find myself on some kind of high. Thanks

cw: suicide

2 Likes

i don’t know if i have much to say found this poignant and rlly relatable on being at a point of high uncertainty!

and welcome to sb! hope you stick around~

1 Like

thanks! I’ve been lurking for maybe a month now actually. I appreciate the warm welcome!

1 Like

I started writing a blog fairly recently (half a year ago? feels recent in blog age, anyway). It’s mostly been a video game blog so far, though I don’t know that I’m trying to posture it as specifically a games blog. Anyway, my latest post is about driving games:

http://moneygoldpower.com/weblog/20210124.html

2 Likes

I wrote a poem for the first time in a minute.

3 Likes

new writing jam theme is lists so thinking about compiling a list of some description

2 Likes

finished my list of the top 100 videogames
http://harmonyzone.org/text/top100videogames.html

4 Likes

Thinkin’ about dying:

https://procyonic.org/blog/fatherhood-is-a-recurring-confrontation-with-mortality/

2 Likes

Finished writing the main dialog for liber desperatio. Now I just need to write the Ham radio dialog which will be somewhat harder, finish fleshing in the gameplay details, and I’ll finally have finished the rough draft of part one of what I’ve been fantasizing about for 10 years

1 Like

im back bitches

4 Likes

making slow improvements - now it has a twitter card. next up:

• reclaim nobatteries.in
  • set up a mailing list for new posts
3 Likes

I wrote this blog post prefacing my shift to making maps in Quake with an explanation about what playing in virtual spaces means to me philosophically. It’s technically for a class I am in which is basically about philosophies of making things, where we are reading a lot of work by composition and rhetoric scholars that are citing theorists of “new materialism.” That is a contemporary branch of philosophy by western philosophers which wants to extend the idea of materiality to include things like relationships between things which may appear to not actually be interacting but, on some quantum level or through a complex network of influences, do have material affects on each other. One huge implication of this philosophy is the reconsideration of the relationship between subject and object, where in classical materialism the object is a thing determined by the subject; in new materialism everything is determined by everything, so there are no subjects and every thing (including people!) are objects. But my post is mostly about what it feels like for me to play in virtual spaces, horror, and the intersection of new materialism with my own feelings about anti-humanism. Would love to hear if anybody has thoughts or reactions! It’s for an academic class, but I wanted to make it entertaining and approachable in a lot of ways. I kind of like it :)))

3 Likes

tried to do a version of that “advice to someone making their first game” thing i saw going around

5 Likes