selectbutton poll hey 19: i want a game when i lose

but you haven’t heard me recount my relationship with it :slight_smile:

11 Likes

also you’re literally describing the opposite series, sorry, King’s Field is way less complex and way more generic than Souls

2 Likes

I’m feeling very low so I started playing Bloodborne again but I’m not going to vote for it, I share many of the same criticisms captainlove does but I like it much more now than I did at release, I think it’s excellent and is now one of the few games that brings me comfort. Fucked up.

5 Likes

i mean i’ve never played them so i wouldn’t know! i do know that they’re chunky and lo-fi in the ways that i like.

let’s just end this discussion right here instead of trying to escalate it further.

Demons Souls (and subsequent Souls) was the dream game insert credit was begging for for years. It validated a lot of the (theoretical) game philosophies that forum (and this forum by extension) espoused, considering how well it worked and how popular it became. I guess it is annoying how much of it entered the zeitgeist (esp the weakest parts like the lore). But these are still remarkable games that measurably improved gaming compared to what was coming out 2005-2009.

I still think it’s absurd 3 souls games are represented in this poll, but we are kidding ourselves if one of them doesn’t deserve to be near the top.

8 Likes

as someone who loves the king’s field games, i do think there is a lot of compatible weirdness and i don’t think it’s actually simplistic or generic… but i agree, demon’s souls is a very strange and subtle game (one of the strangest and subtlest), drawing on far more than stock western dark fantasy, and even if subsequent games in the series progressively tone it down they retain a lot of that not far under the surface. miyazaki is both a great director and one who is in deep and intentional conversation with fromsoft’s overall body of work. it isn’t an either/or proposition.

6 Likes

Excited for the next bracket without any of these picks

2 Likes

I’m more confused about Zelda and the Gameboy one both being included but I aint sayin nothin about that

1 Like

I think the focus of Zelda 1 and Link’s Awakening differ more than any of the Miyazaki games aside from maybe Sekiro

I really do think Demon’s Souls becoming a hit is one of the most pleasant surprises of my lifetime – shit, my initial impulse is to call it a miracle but I don’t wanna sound too gaga even though I probably am – and I’ve yet to see any downsides to its popularity when it comes to, like, actual game design, which is not something I can say about other games I love. I do not care about its effect on the “gaming culture” at large, I avoid almost all game discussion outside of this place and that is a privilege I hope I never have to give up, if I ever had to watch a youtuber I’d probably die, but I do think the fact that no one has come close to aping it says a lot about how special it is.

12 Likes

it’s my turn to be a dork but armored core for answer and deracine are both miyazaki games and rly important to his oeuvre imo ;_;

7 Likes

I agree I just hate saying “Souls” or “Soulsborne” and I don’t want to include Souls 2 & 3 when I discuss these games as I don’t think they’re nearly as good

But it also turns out there was a co-director on Sekiro so oops this was sloppier than I thought

3 Likes

I chose the cane as my starting weapon and I died a bunch of times on Bloodstarved Beast like some kind of boob and don’t want to earn the golds to get the key that gives me access to all the churchy areas so I now take back everything I said and declare Bloodborne officially bad.

Just kidding about the last bit though just kidding

3 Likes

deracine is such a cool game, feels sort of like another take at the ideas present in the echo night games

2 Likes

BSB is funny because its hard until you try the most degenerate strategy of all (hold the joystick pointed forward and to the left and attack after it whiffs all its attacks because of your impressive ability to circle strafe)

1 Like

I tried and I fucked up don’t tell anyone I did this, don’t tell anyone I’m the new DSP

1 Like

soulsthing are what i’ve been playing in the absence of true successor to super metroid, it’s weird to think of them as The Games

I thought in the months of this thread I would create time and play Killer7 or a modern console port following the PC port would be announced. That PC port is like real slapdash and possibly just running dolphin was the rumor.

I can pause while playing Killer 7 though. As a dad pausing is very important. I’ll never get to souls again probably. Thank you Sekiro you have a pause functionality. I am not complaining about the lack of pause here. I am just saying I cannot play these games with a tiny child in the house. Crisises happen at any time.

I don’t think any racing game has given me the constant near 20 years of joy FZeroGX has delivered. I’ve complained about people who say Monster World IV is there favorite game and then clarify they’ve never beaten it. That’s weird! FZero GX is at it’s core an arcade game. You can love an arcade game and have never beaten it. I hear the last bits of the story mode are vicious. I think I beat it way back when.

In my haphazard replay of the MGSs 2 is the maybe the least stuck in my mind. On the other hand did you say nerd?

6 Likes

souls solids souls

2 Likes

:100:

I remember the time I was at a party and some gaming guyz asked me what games I was into (I think one of them was wearing a Fallout 3 shirt). I was playing one of the Dark Souls games at the time, so I mentioned that. They both got really defensive and acted like I thought I was some kind of hard ass or something.

It reminded me of when I went to soccer tryouts as a kid and this other kid started telling me how stupid (American) football is because it’s so barbaric and dangerous. He knew I was into football.

Hmm… when I started dating a woman from Argentina back in 2015 or so I remember her thinking it was strange that a guy my age had video games. Then her friend was like “Every guy has a Playstation and FIFA these days. It’s normal.”

I don’t know what my point is, but gaming discourse out in the wild is mostly awful and should be avoided at all costs.

19 Likes