selectbutton.net's top 64 vidcons 2020 - THE NOMINATION

Why Rage Racer over others in the series?

To be honest a lot of it is it just being the first Playstation (and thus, first 3D game) I owned and the memories of being completely transfixed by the graphics. Itā€™s a weird outlier for the series since it goes in a more realistic, darker color palette direction which Iā€™m sure almost no one prefers (especially in hindsight), Ridge Racer being such a good Blue Skies type series. All that at the time helped make it feel like the first ā€œadultā€ game Iā€™d experienced at that point, I suppose. The soundtrack has been stuck in my head for 23 years.

1 Like

Coincidentally, I played it a bit yesterday for the first time. It definitely seems like an odd entry. For example, it still has just four tracks but adds in a car shop and tune up options.

1 Like

Hey, itā€™s a whopping eight if you count the backwards versions!

1 Like

I was waiting for someone to say this. Silent Hill 3 is Silent Hill.

Iā€™ll give it a go if Iā€™m not too late. Let me think.

Beyond Dark Castle on a Mac Plus is fun and beautiful.

Underwurld on C64.

Crystalis

Castlevania 2

Ultima 4 NES port - best tile work on the nes and also the best graphics for an Ultima game on any platform. (Well 8 looks ok, but I havenā€™t played that one much. ) Besides that, itā€™s Ultima 4, which directs the meditative aspects of early rpgs toward actual meditation which is really only as it should be.

Phantasy Star

Final Fantasy 6

Soul Blazer

Sim City 2000

Civ 3

Kingā€™s Field US

Might and Magic 4 and 5

Riven

Fallout

Wizardry 8

I like Baroque a lot, but Iā€™ve only played it on the Wii and I suspect that the Saturn version is best.

Killer 7 - the recent steam port is actually really good.

Vagrant Story

Legend of Mana

Castlevania 64

Silent Hill 3

Kingā€™s Field 4

Uru

SMT Nocturne

Demonā€™s Souls

Final Fantasy XIII - I like it. Itā€™s paced well, itā€™s good looking. Itā€™s not super deep, but I donā€™t want super deep.

Iā€™d rather play Dark Souls 2 than any other souls game except for

Bloodborne

Knytt Stories

Knytt Underground - weirdly large knytt game.

Hollow Knight

I think Anatomy is the go to Kitty Horrorshow, but I liked CHYRZA.

Pathologic 2

um Outrun 2

Oh and the Doom wad Sacrament.

And Doom itself of course.

15 Likes

oh my goodness

lot of my early videogame energy was spent trying to get this to run on my parentsā€™ shitty computer and it never worked

this was the Getting Over It With Bennett Foddy of getting a videogame to run on a device

1 Like

2 has always read to me as objectively better along every axis but I had more fun playing 1. I dunno if it was just more novel or if what you said had something to do with it or what. I find it hard to analyze.

1 Like

Even though the AI Director thing makes it a game about surprise and unpredictability, as long as everyone sticks close, you only have to worry about the tank throwing stuff. The tension came from worrying if your random teammates would be able to coalesce into a team. It felt like a weird social experiment back in 2007 or whenever in the wake of CS and TF2. And that teammate-based tension was so fitting of the zombie genre. The whole game was such a great mix of form and function.

2 is a great game, and I think the Katrina trappings are interesting. However the melee weapons and the all the new special zombiesā€™ attacks being designed to separate players runs counter to that original experiment. Theyā€™re smart creative decisions and I think made for a stronger versus game but thereā€™s something to be said about the laser focus of the original.

Itā€™s really weird to be posting about video games. I rarely do that here.

1 Like

I might be remembering wrong but it felt like 1 had more moments where you just had to hole up and shoot it out and 2 had set pieces where you had to do specific things

2 Likes

Yeap! Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m talking about. Gathering the fuel for the car or for the bridge requires more individual heroics and skill and is probably generally more exciting, but holing up in the barn and covering all the entrances is more of a teamwork thing.

my final addendum (i think), based on me actually reading the conversations and votes itt

• resident evil 4

harping on something @DaleNixon said about another game, this is a good example of ā€œbody awareness simulatorā€ to me. basically every action you do in the game is connected to some kind of sistematized ritual you go through over and over again at varying speeds

• F.E.A.R

i canā€™t just not vote for the best first-person shooter ever made. visceral action and ā€œcinematic gameplayā€ done in a very mindful way

• under defeat HD

one of the few shootā€™em up games i like. i want more nice helicopter games

• INSIDE

a neat game you can play once

• max payne 3

almost as good as resident evil 4 and almost as interesting to think about as kane & lynch

• romancing saga 2

i love how the game demands many, many generations to deal with the big problems. an exercise in letting go every couple hours of play-time

• pac-man championship edition

wow! cool sparking lights

7 Likes

I kept having this weird thought that there was a racing game I love that Iā€™d forgotten, and I kept going through the obvious ones.

It just hit me

The Club.

3 Likes

thirding gunstar super heroes

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure there are other storybook games that are as good or better than Gorogoa, but none tickled my brain the way that this one did. Lots of playing with scale and space. Delightful game, sad that I canā€™t play it for the first time a second time.

4 Likes
  1. Super Mario Bros. (Arcade)
    I experienced this game for the first time in the Permian Mall in Odessa, TX. I used to think about it all the time. I still wonder what subtle differences there are between the arcade version and the NES release. I eventually got an NES and put plenty of hours in, but my fondest memories are of the arcade version.
8 Likes

i wish this game had been hundreds of hours long and thatā€™s how i know itā€™s a masterpiece

3 Likes

1 Like

straight off the dome (plus cribbing from everybody elseā€™s for what I forgot). tried to limit it to games I have had deep personal experiences with and not just games I played for a bit because they are ā€œgoodā€

ziggurat
super hexagon
earthbound
metal gear solid
vagrant story
grandia
final fantasy 8
god hand
demonā€™s souls
worms armageddon
breath of the wild
mother 3
pokemon blue/red
resident evil directorā€™s cut
resident evil 2
silent hill
silent hill 2
metal gear solid 2
metal gear solid 3
super mario 64
super mario bros
super mario world
super mario bros 2j
super mario bros 3
super mario odyssey
raw danger
everybodyā€™s golf
ssx 3
grand theft auto 3
videoball
mortal kombat 2
nba jam tournament edition
katamari damacy
street fighter 2
mega man 4
mega man x
zelda a link between worlds
super mario 3d land
bangai-o spirits
dragon quest 5
dragon quest 11
sunset riders
samurai showdown
unreal tournament
superhot vr
astro bot rescue mission
wipeout hd
sim city 2000
castlevania bloodlines
turtles in time
super mario strikers charged!
sonic the hedgehog 2
sonic mania
tetris
the legend of zelda
wwf no mercy
blades of steel
road rash 2
virtual bart
doom 2
ridiculous fishing
ecco the dolphin
mario kart wii
the witness
braid
sonic adventure
dark forces 2 jedi knight
thps 2
apex legends
kirbyā€™s dream world 2
goldeneye
dark souls
punch-out
wii sports
wind waker
simtower
bloodborne
gran turismo
intelligent qube
star fox
jumping flash
crash team racing
baba is you
chrono cross
super off-road
downwell
triple town
magnetic billiards

14 Likes

I find it interesting a lot of you are listing multiplayer games that no longer have a community anymore. Like those games almost exist entirely in your head and heart now and the circumstances of reenacting a ā€œgood gameā€ are not going to happen.

I think about lists a lot. And the list of my personal now, my personal from history, and what I tried to do here which is likeā€¦celebration of games I think anyone on this forum should play.

I put arcade games on my list so I am a hypocrite.

12 Likes

Ribbit King Frolf
Homeworld

5 Likes