Select Button Photography Club: Open Thread

3 Likes

At nearly $12 a roll, Cinestill 800T is highway robbery but it was fun to play with.

9 Likes

6 Likes

8 Likes

Hello, time for me to contribute something

Imgur

10 Likes

14 Likes

whoa these are all so good

1 Like

hello what’s this thread

Thanks for bumping because I was working on a thread and missed this one.

I have drunk from the MILC of EVIL.

I’ve been using a Canon 6D for a while as my first full frame camera (an upgrade from a Canon Rebel T3). Recently I had been thinking of maybe getting a new lens. I had been eyeing one of the 24-70mm f/2.8 lenses out there, but just this past month found out about the Tamron 35-150mm F/2.8-4 as another option. It’s aperture shrinks as you zoom but it looked like it’s still around only f3.3 at 70mm, which would be the end of the zoom range on the 24-70mm, so I thought this could get me a larger aperture than my kit lens while getting me even longer zoom length than the 24-70mm. (This is still an open question for me, any advice would be appreciated. I’m mainly trying to get a shallower depth of field than my kit 24-105 f/4 lens).

I went to a camera shop and they let me test the Tamron out on a camera in the store. Instead of being able to test the lens I instead was too mystified by something else. The Canon 6D’s auto focus points suck! I had no idea what I was missing (even compared to it’s contemporaries)!

Look at that! And only the center point is cross type. Focus-recompose was pretty much standard for every shot I took. I had no idea what I was missing out on! They also let me try out an old camera with a prism crystal focus system and I loved how practical it made manual focusing. Anyway, that gave me a new bug, the desire for a better camera. I was looking at the 6D Mark 2 as a cheaper upgrade path but then I was talking with ArOne about it and he mentioned he uses a Sony mirrorless, which got me looking at Canon’s offerings. Eventually an impulse purchase landed me a Canon EOS RP mirrorless camera.

I love it! I haven’t been able to take pictures of anything outside my home yet, but it’s so much nicer! I love being able to focus at any point on the screen! Being able to see the final exposure on screen is neater than I thought it would be! But the thing that I actually love the most is the ability to zoom in the electronic viewfinder to help you manual focus. I always disliked how impractical the viewfinder on my 6D was in regards to focusing because there’s no way for me to really tell if the focus is slightly off, and I definitely can’t make out the details enough to use manual focus. But now with the EVF’s zoom (and the ability to auto-zoom and manual focus after auto-focusing) it feels like I have much better awareness of what I’m actually looking at.

Focus peeking seems neat but I don’t know how much I’ll actually end up using it since I mainly take portraits and can use the EVF zoom. The quality of life improvements are just a lot more meaningful than I expected them to be.

I’m super excited to put this camera through its paces once I’m allowed to go outside again.

5 Likes

Yeah, mirrorless cameras are great for manual focus.

Found this dude crawling around looking worse for wear behind my house. Auto little flower in a rectangle mode with a kit lens.

4 Likes

Inside a GameCube:

10 Likes

That’s a bad capacitor! Look at the bulge.

Cool photos. I’ve always loved macro shots of electronics, but I’m probably not unique in that.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Amateur iphonery.

8 Likes

Shot film for the first time in years, last year (winter 2019). Finally got the film developed and here’s a few of those shots:

13 Likes

I haven’t shot film in centuries. What do you personally like about it? I can’t say that there is something I “prefer” over digital, in the strictest sense, but there is some novelty and differences in the way it makes me take photos.

When I use film, I end up being much more careful with my framing, because I know I am physically limited in how many shots I can take. Every photo has to be painstakingly framed, all the settings have to be considered for a solid few minutes, and I might take a few, perhaps half a dozen at most, shots at a variety of settings.

With digital, I just snap that shutter over and over, slide through a variety of settings, framings, zoom levels, I might end up with dozens of photos of the same scene to look through later. Obviously, it’s nice to have more to select from, and more flexibility to try different things, but sometimes it actually gets overwhelming. I might spend an hour, possibly more, just ruminating over one scene and working out which of 50 shots is the one I think is the best.

There’s also the aspect of editing and fine-tuning the developed photos after, which is kind of a thing of its self, but also very much attached to the previous points. With film, I know that the dark room development process is time consuming and takes an extraordinary amount of effort, so while composition is always important, the aperture settings and the quality of light you originally used start to become really important, since the closer your negative is to appropriate levels, the easier it ends up being to get a developed photo you’re happy with.

With digital, it barely matters at all. So long as the information is still there, you can mess with the white balance, exposure, burn, dodge, etc etc at the literal flip of a switch, and end up with a “perfect” photo that I was able to fine-tune in a way I could never with film, unless I wanted to spend literal weeks over a single photo.

Of course, I’ve never actually done dark room development for color film, only black and white, but nonetheless. If you’re just sending your film to a development lab, I think that just strengthens what I said, since then you really need to make sure you get the settings right, because you know you don’t have the ability to make those decisions yourself.

Also, I really like that rusty metal photo, the texture is amazing.

2 Likes

At this point, if I shoot film I’m only shooting E-6 which I have to send to a lab.

Back when I was formally studying photography, long enough ago that film was the default, I was an extremely conservative shooter for the reasons you mention. I was also a very lazy darkroom technician.

So for me, now, a roll of film here and there is an experiment. I was using a dubiously functional camera and had no idea what I would get. I shot a lot of digital on the same trip although I didn’t try to recreate shots from one camera to another. I’d never used the lab I used before, either. But I’m happy with the results.

I also harbor dreams of using the slides to project images onto other objects and then photograph those

3 Likes

I got a macro lens for my phone because why not, it’s far and away the best camera I have

9 Likes

Phone cameras have come to the point where I honestly dont think there is a single reason to buy a point-and-shoot camera anymore. Either you want an SLR with all the bells and whistles, or you can just use your phone.

Really cool photos btw.

3 Likes