SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE šŸ’€

the armored warrior fight is so sloppily implemented it makes me want to delete this from my ps4. i got him to drop where i thought he was close enough to an edge TWICE only for my deathblow to fail to push him off the edge, returning his posture to 50%. also the hitboxes on his sword swings seem completely arbitrary, he managed to knock me off the bridge with one while i was standing at his 7 oā€™clock. iā€™d rather fight those godawful DS2 DLC bosses again.

yā€™all that breezed through this in a couple days are either very good at action games or extremely lucky

Seems like a good place to ask as any - anyone remember that clip that was posted on this site, some from soft game, a dude fights an ogre with a big metal ball on a chain and the tracking is so unrealistic he just flips around in the middle of a swing and destroys the player in a completely cheap way?

They sure chose some kind of crummy fights as progression blockers, and thatā€™s one of them. The other ones are Blazing Bull Whose Butt Cannot Be Backstabbed, Long-Arm Centipede In Tiny Room, and Giant Monk Whoā€™s An Illusion But Also A Damage Sponge, so look forward to those as well if you havenā€™t gotten to them yet. Although for me, they never took quite as many attempts as it seemed at first they might.

That wasnā€™t from soft, that was Nioh.

i think that was me

2 Likes

i feel like theyā€™re all bad gimmicks tho? like even the optional ones always felt like ā€œfigure out the designers one solution to this problemā€ instead of testing your command the tools theyā€™ve given you. theyā€™re just punch-out opponents except you die in two hits. every fucking boss is gascoigne

iā€™m sorry i canā€™t stop myself from posting in this thread iā€™m just so disappointed this is how they followed up bloodborne

actually i take that back, you can beat gascoigne without ever parrying him, you just need a lot of oil and firebombs

this is inaccurate at best but I donā€™t think this would be a fruitful conversation to have.

Even now thereā€™s at least 5 different ways Iā€™ve seen to win every fight. Even the simplest miniboss moveset in the game (the ashina elite) has at least two ways of fighting them.

1 Like

I think the game seems a bit rushed in some respects and couldā€™ve used another 6 months of baking. There are a lot of uneven parts especially in the midgame. And the environments and enemies donā€™t seem as varied as DkS3 or Bloodborne. I suspect the mechanical experimentation took more time than expected and they fell behind schedule.

I mean, speaking of Ashina Elite, heā€™s a bit of a clown right? What kind of elite only knows one move??

1 Like

i do not understand or appreciate the consistent defensive tone taken by the people who this game didnā€™t click with itt

itā€™s a-ok to decide the game didnā€™t work for you and move on, you donā€™t have to hang around until you get everyone else to concede ā€œYeah this game actually sucks and I just got lucky or somethingā€

iā€™d be less irritated about this if there werenā€™t dozens of (imo pretty interesting and cool!) posts from people who stuck with/beat the game where they explained why it worked for them, what kind of strategies they used, etc. its not like itā€™s just arbitrary gatekeeping

1 Like

i donā€™t like coming in to a thread, saying ā€œiā€™m having a hard time with xā€ and someone telling me ā€œhave you tried learning how to play?ā€

iā€™m trying to drop out of the conversation on this one because I think Iā€™m being defensive, but I have seen a number of people saying ā€œi have a criticismā€ being countered with ā€œno you donā€™t, because my experience was differentā€ and itā€™s a bit frustrating.

3 Likes

also iā€™ve been predictably disappointed but still overwhelmed with how bad the conversation RE: Sekiro has been outside of SB, and I think thatā€™s leaking into my ability to talk about the game meaningfully even with SBers.

2 Likes

OK so should the people who didnā€™t have that experience just shut up? even if there are alternatives to the way you were approaching the game? Is this a conversation or is it a bunch of individual people saying their thoughts into a void

why is ā€œhow about try something differentā€ something to get defensive about instead of like. a pretty normal back and forth about a new game weā€™re all playing

This is the first game in a long time (maybe ever?) where iā€™ve been playing it along with SB so the ways that my approach to playing a game for the first time butt up against other peopleā€™s experiences has been enlightening to me, in ways good and ill

1 Like

do you all just want two threads

ā€œsekiro playthrough journal and prostratsā€ vs ā€œIā€™ve loved every other game by this developer and despite the near universal praise for this I am compelled to critique the design decisions here because after hours of experimentation and advice it feels unusually wrong and bad to me and it seems silly to suggest Iā€™m just not getting itā€

would that help

fwiw where you see accusations of gatekeeping, to me something like

is just a baffling simplification, like the idea that anyone ought correctly to be approaching it, after however many hours, with the patient, wide eyes that they do every game isā€¦ foreign to me. Iā€™m not that determined to like it? I think a lot of the bad sekiro discourse is determination to like it tbh. that doesnā€™t mean I mind that people do like it!

1 Like

No but i should, sincerely, like a thread where we delineate ā€œthis is badā€ and ā€œthis isnā€™t for meā€ ā€˜cause thatā€™s the tension i keep feeling here!

1 Like

nah that would make it worse

I think there is at least a bare minimum confidence inherent in saying that something isnā€™t for you that entails it maybe being not great for someone else who has similar tastes and thatā€™s usually worth digging into?

as far as I know the female orgasm was discovered on this basis

Iā€™ve seen a lot of very balanced and respectful discourse in this thread, which is awesome, and a lot of ā€œIā€™m confusedā€ -> ā€œHOW are you CONFUSED!ā€, which isnā€™t. If youā€™re getting irritated about how people feel about gamesā€¦ take a break. Just take a break.

3 Likes

Itā€™s ok if people like Sekiro and itā€™s also ok if people donā€™t like Sekiro, and nobody needs to provide ironclad arguments for why or why not. Weā€™re talking about a video game and thus are allowed to relax and be free.

As for me, I have to wait a few weeks for my horribly RSIā€™d thumb to heal before I face down this big gorilla. Good game but it is a nightmare for my left hand.

1 Like

My synthesis so far is that plenty of areas and bosses including most of Hirata Estate and most of the underground offshoots later are full of jank and repeated content and mostly itā€™s just the Ashina Outskirts -> Castle main area and the player-sized humanoid bosses that hold up. And some players are willing to tolerate or see the value in the jank parts and others consider it a showstopper.

Basically the same outline as my longstanding opinion that ā€œthe DkS1 late game is jankā€ (which also always seemed to attract a lot of controversy and talking past each other), and I assume likewise itā€™s due to rushing that will be quietly improved in sequel/DLCs.

2 Likes