SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE 💀

Re: your spoiler they actually spell that out in one of the prayer necklace descriptions.

1 Like

Yeah, I knew this story although I haven’t met any of those characters yet, which gave me interesting twinges reading that.

I love the way the Sculptor gives Sekiro a hard pat on the shoulder when he’s done working on the prosthetic, there’s this perfectly gruff warmth after the rest of his demeanor like “been there Wolf, you got this”.

That’s a very good animation, and I love his model in general; the leg hair lit by the fire, his gnarled knee and foot; realizing he gave up his arm for you (they communicate this slightly obscurely so it took a few hours until I understood exactly what was going on)

Absolutely clowned on the shinobi hunter on my first serious try haha. My actual biggest criticism of the game so far is that the tooltip for the Mikiri counter is completely wrong!! :frowning_face: If you know that it’s just hit dodge and not dodge+forward, you can see how generous the timing window for it is. i don’t even think i was playing that precisely or skillfully for this guy, i basically just parried him to death Gwyn-style.

2 Likes

the trick is realizing that if you’re not holding a direction, you dodge forward. I don’t know why the mikiri instructions are wrong but it drives me nuts.

1 Like

anyway, further lore notes

The sculptor was once a shinobi known as Orangutan

Has anyone found any mention of this figure in item descriptions?

the tutorial text as a rule goes against their design integrity, and is so distressingly concise that it conveys an unhelpfully narrow understanding of the mechanics when it’s not actively wrong. they should’ve gone full Simon’s Quest or just required the zombie guy to teach you every new skill you unlock by like having the skill tree be in a language only he can read or something. it’s a huge detractor as is. I’d honestly rather see them patch it at this point, as much as everyone likes to uphold From games as rare complete works.

2 Likes

honestly if I had to like, pick out new skills just by the pictographs on them, and then he had to like, vomit up a little prayer scrip before demonstrating it for you – though you’d still be able to perform the move without having it shown to you if you really wanted to figure it out from the picture by trial and error – that would’ve been a much more encouraging early game sign. no overdescribed skill tree, more playfulness.

it would also keep you from pressing forward too much on the same path and encourage you to warp back around when you had something new! that’s like every major unintuitive issue solved.

1 Like

how much of this game did you play again?

1 Like

enough to have my confidence betrayed and be too dismayed to want to play as well as it demanded

Wait sorry, are you calling me onanistic because i think FromSoft games shouldn’t literally vomit up tutorials when you unlock new abilities?

it’s like every single other one of their games ive ever played it seems real hard at first and then you get the hang of it. jfc.

just like play the goddamn game and stop trying to come up with Takes. Or don’t!! It doesn’t have to be for everyone, and that includes you!!

ive had a mad easy time with this game and i don’t think it’s because im an MLG 360 No-scope gamer i just like, got the gist

edit: this forum constantly self-describes as if it were this bastion of iconoclastic game thought, but suggesting a formerly niche developer should maintain a house style that isn’t everyone’s steez makes me an elitist jerkoff lol i cant get over this

7 Likes

Âżatrapar el gisto? Jesus de Christo!
Âżtoma caliente? flicka de wristo!

2 Likes

“self-abuse”

Sekiro critique as a veiled comment on onanism?

1 Like

so far this is really lacking in from’s true specialty: weird anxiety about menstrual blood

7 Likes

yeah I can’t believe they’d introduce the ability for NPCs to get pregnant and then not include it in the next game after how popular it was

3 Likes

wipes away tears

the craftsmanship… . … truley a lost … art

4 Likes

I don’t think ritualistically practicing a game in order to clear it is “synethetic self-abuse” if it’s pleasurable. The hundred hours or so I devoted to one-credit-clearing the 25 minute first loop of DoDonPachi or Espgaluda II Black Label were some of the cleanest peace I’ve ever known. I don’t feel hurt when a game is inaccessible to me. I don’t get mad when My Summer Car expects me to build a car engine from scratch or whatever. I think there should be way more games that I should never be expected to be capable of finishing, let alone everyone as is the moralizing discourse with Sekiro.

Really I just think the people calling Miyazaki games exceptionally difficult (rather than just “actually difficult”, actually making some basic demand of the player’s engagement) are illiterate in the medium. Every time I hear some journo say “Sekiro is one of THE HARDEST GAMES I’VE EVER PLAYED” I immediately think, like, do they even arcade.

3 Likes