SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE 💀

I mean, your original complaint was that they should’ve done a better tutorial than what you get by going through the world and they did, they implemented a super complete one. I don’t think it’s unfair to call that out.

But what’s more, when you unlock skills like Mikiri Counter there’s a popup that tells you that Tutorial Guy has a new tutorial relevant to your new skill. And if you do his basic tutorials, which are already pretty useful, you’re gonna know he has more anyway, so this is gonna go in circles.

As for having no idea he’s near the temple, the sculptor tells you he’s there and you should visit him the first time you wake up. I’m not sure what more they could have done outside of making him mandatory and that seems like a bad choice. We may be at odds here though. I like that the tutorial is completely optional and diegetic, but that’s also evidently what makes it missable.

I’m not sure I’m in the fromSoft defense force cause I wasn’t that much into them gameplay-wise before Bloodborne but I’m definitely in the “the game’s been telling you all this” defense force.

“the game’s been telling you this” is a lot different than “the game is effectively doing the teaching it wants to do”

I don’t subscribe to ‘the user is always right’ design when it comes to games but tutorializing is the area most closely aligned with The Design of Everyday Things-land

Finally did in Gen after I became good enough to deal with the first phase with narry a scratch. Then I just kind of stumbled into the Screen Monkey bit and cleared it very quickly, probably dumb luck

Giant Snake unceremoniously knocked me off a branch into the abyss and I laughed. I’m definitely in for a penny AND a pound here.

1 Like

I still think that if bosses didn’t dish out high damage attacks so quickly, maybe more people would be playing around with deflect early on? Some of the early bosses and their attacks are scary as hell, and with the risk of death and possibly repeating a stealth part (and losing money, skill points, Unseen Aid, and spreading sickness, the importance of which aren’t yet clear but feel bad), I’m not surprised if a lot of players try to run, block, poke, and turtle around.

I thought it was clear from the beginning that deflect was a big thing in this game, and I barely looked at any previews. It felt like almost every early text box and loading screen said something about deflect. By the third or fourth enemy in the outskirts I had discovered that mashing parry seemed like a good way to get a deflect in.

But yet, I slipped right into Souls-style circling during the ogre which rewards it, and it just seemed too scary to stand there and deflect some of the early bosses. I’d try mashing parry and an unblockable would suddenly pop out and I was deer in the headlights dead.

I find it more of a psychological hurdle than a tutorial problem.

1 Like

I was answering to the “offers no affordance that he has more to teach” bit, specifically. I’m just saying that the game does factually tell you he has more to offer. I’m not sure where you’re pulling that feeling that I want you to apologize from, but that was never my intent.

Other than that, I expanded on that subject because I find the idea of in-game tutorials fascinating (my fave one is The Witness, which teaches you all mechanics without a word, but can also afford to deliberately instill false assumptions in the first couple minutes, that you’ll take hours to unlearn, to hide some of its secrets), and for this kind of combat system we’re in a super tricky spot.

DS mainly taught you situational awareness through its opening situations but this kind of twitch combat stuff seems a lot harder to teach without explicit guidance. For all that Father Gascoigne was supposed to be a parry gatekeeper he never managed to teach me and I finished Bloodborne with the most terrible grasp on that particular mechanic. I feel that undying samurai’s doing a much better job of it. But at the same time after going through some super terrible mandatory Kingdom Hearts tutorials last month I definitely appreciate that I can skip him and only come back when I need to brush up on some mechanic, even though his tutorials are super good.

1 Like

I am still struggling to understand how “mash L1 without penalty to try to get a deflect in” is good design relative to their earlier stuff

I think part of the reason so much is being made of how the game has to teach you the way it wants to be played is because what it’s asking for seems… bad, and people are understandably confused at this

SEKIRO: THE SWORD THAT DOESN’T CARE (with a hilt maybe/maybe not better made for gripping)

1 Like

why is a sword game wanting you to get up in there and sword fight with people bad

1 Like

it’s not the case to say the game doesn’t punish you for mashing L1, in my experience. the window between “pressing L1” and “deflect action” is not particularly forgiving. so many times I have been holding to guard (my general default stance), then let go to deflect last second and been caught because the timing just doesn’t work that way. if the enemies’ attack pattern is fast paced enough that pressing L1 repeatedly works to get a deflect in, I don’t call that ‘mashing’, I just call it keeping up with the blizzard of attacks.

2 Likes

When I return to DMCV Royal Guard’s been my next style focus, so this works out

like every other person on the internet seems to have walked into this expecting it to be the new Souls game despite the developer explicitly saying “this is not a Souls game” and ended up gnashing their teeth about it because they tried to play it like a Souls game and it wasn’t fun. That plus the inflated expectation of difficulty that’s been in the marketing since fucking Prepare To Die seems to be leading people to assume that if you’re dying over and over, that’s just how the games supposed to go because this is omg the hardest game they’ve made yet! and therefore continue to have no fun beating their heads against the same bosses over and over.

if responding to stuff like “you just have to parry and deflect over and over!” with “you don’t though, there are other things you can try” or “this game doesn’t teach itself well” with “sure it does, here’s how:” or “the death mechanic is too harsh wtf” with “don’t sweat it, just go with it” makes me into some kind of frothing dipshit fanboi From defender then what the fuck ever, sorry i tried to help you enjoy the videogame

3 Likes

I’m definitely not seeing how this game doesn’t teach itself better than Dark Souls, considering I never learned how to Parry from inside Dark Souls. compared to those games, Sekiro is as chatty as freakin Twilight Princess

2 Likes

well I think the tension there is that there’s a difference between “I want advice for doing better at this” and “I think it’s asking too much while turning me off at the same time and I’m not exactly inspired to carry on so I’d like to critique it a bit”

not all negativity immediately merits an actionable solution, sometimes you just want to talk about what’s wrong

ironically “the from software ninja game” is one of the aspects of my life in which I am most able to recognize the upsetting parts of solutionism

1 Like

the advice doubles as counterpoint to the critiques though… like if you are playing the game in a way that leads you to conclude the game is bad, and other folks who think it is good did not have your issues, it is more than fair to say “maybe you’re thinking about it the wrong way, how about consider this other approach that the game definitely allows for and encourages”

Like we’re having a back-and-forth on the internet, all deflecting and parrying each other’s posts, in the name of good sportsmanship

2 Likes

yeah that is fair! I’ve just been in plenty of situations where I think I’m being prompted for advice and it’s the last thing a person wants to hear so I’m pretty careful with the position of “listen, I’m not asking you for the thing you think I’m asking you for”

games are also a funny medium in that the concept of “a difficult game” as in a challenging one isn’t necessarily 1:1 with “a difficult work” as in something which is not easy to appreciate, and I think this is both. “the game is bad” is not a statement I would make given how much people are enjoying it, but I do think that people who find themselves really appreciating a difficult work are more inclined to go to bat for something that others decide is unrewarding

It makes me sad that this is the inevitable fate of all fromsoft threads

I mean, the thread’s still going, it’s not like the discussion has failed

I’ve gotta say something I really appreciated in my most recent session is discovering there was an entirely other area I’d overlooked (the monastery, or at least I’m assuming it’s gonna be one since I haven’t explored it yet), plus secret rooms I didn’t even know about, so it was really nice to discover those super hard bosses I’d been facing might just be me not exploring my options (same for the boss that became easier once I remembered that advice about shurikens and airborne enemies).

On the minus side it’s the third game in recent times, after Hollow Knight and Celeste, where it’s occasionally been physically painful for me to play it. I guess I’m getting old. That got better once I reminded myself to not clutch the controller so hard during duels, though.

1 Like

Selectbutton: Threads Die Twice :skull:

3 Likes