sb poll round 17: too sleepy to come up with a title

sorry for the delay! we’re back. this will be the final round with 8 matchups; this doesn’t contain every game still in the running (some are seeded for later rounds), but we’re slowly winnowing down… voting is open for the next week - losers of winners will be sent to losers, losers of losers will be eliminated. bracket here.

WINNERS SIDE:

• Katamari Damacy
  • Outrun 2

0 voters

• DOOM / DOOM II
  • EarthBound

0 voters

LOSERS SIDE:

• Chrono Trigger
  • Super Mario 64

0 voters

• Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
  • God Hand

0 voters

• Shadow of the Colossus (2006)
  • F-Zero GX

0 voters

• Tetris: The Absolute: The Grandmaster 2 PLUS
  • Silent Hill 2

0 voters

• Demon’s Souls (2009)
  • Quake

0 voters

• The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
  • The Legend of Zelda

0 voters

VOTE

11 Likes

…f…fuck…

8 Likes

Katamari, Doom, Chrono Trigger, Nocturne, F Zero GX, Tetris, Quake vs Demon’s Souls is the only one I’m conflicted about, Link’s Awakening (Rocket launcher arrows is still great)

2 Likes

katamari > outrun
earthbound >
mario 64 > chrono trigger
nocturne > god hand
f-zero > sotc
tetris > silent hill 2
demon’s > quake
tloz > link’s awakening

5 Likes

Quake vs Demon’s is rough. Quake is the only 3D FPS representative in the entire bracket (Mirror’s Edge and Deus Ex are borderline cases) compared to three FromSoft souls games. However, Demon’s is almost certainly going to win this one.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter since each of the three souls games are likely going to be whittling down their respective portions of the losers brackets. There aren’t many crazy left field choices left that will incline people to vote against the souls (maybe outrun 2 and god hand). I don’t see SB choosing a mainstream crowd pleaser like Mario 64 or SOTC over Demons or Dark Souls.

That’s it. We’re doing a Quake deathmatch night to get everyone hyped.

6 Likes

Katamari
Doom
Chrono Trigger
God Hand
F-Zero GX
Tetris
Quake
Link’s Awakening

Are my pics for this round and would also be a swell 8 games on a desert island list.

YES LETS

2 Likes

I will drop everything for this

1 Like

Katamari Damacy
EarthBound
Chrono Trigger
God Hand
Shadow of the Colossus (2006)
Quake
The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening

Don’t worry, Outrun, I will vote for you. I still feel the love.

3 Likes

This is horrific, just absolutely brutal

3 Likes

Katamari Damacy

DOOM / DOOM II

Chrono Trigger

God Hand

F-Zero GX

Demon’s Souls (2009)

The Legend of Zelda

Tetris: The Absolute: The Grandmaster 2 PLUS vs. Silent Hill 2 is the tough one for me.

Casting my vote for Earth Bound and EarthBound and EarthBound 2 :pig_nose:

1 Like

this is me, except i’m abstaining from quake v demsoul because i disliked quake but can’t be critically interesting about it, and i’ve not played demon’s souls

everything else is the same

weirdly, because i would have thought i was going to vote for earthbound but hey, here we are

QuakeWorld Beautiful Game next week? @HOBO

2 Likes

demon’s is why i still play these things after finding 2007-08 trends really miserable but yeah i think i have to vote quake, feel genuinely privileged to have played qw at its peak before esports, money, software as a service, obsessive pursuit of “balance” and ever slower pacing etc. ruined competitive games

the singleplayer is criminally underrated, there was a ton of talent in the modding and mapping scenes and it’s still the greatest 3d platformer

7 Likes

Ok who wants to play Quake this weekend

3 Likes

I think that Katamari is probably an objectively better game. It’s cute as shit and has all these fun, pop quirks. But it irks me to no end that the little prince is such a fuckin’ pansy-ass and lets his belligerent dad walk all over him. I don’t wanna be like that, I’m not that dude. I’ll roll up cows and babbling teenagers all day, but it’s because I want to- okay, dad. Maybe next time you get drunk you can fix the stars yourself. Also, the levels where you have to like carefully roll around to pick up the biggest bear sucks and I just get the teddy bear everytime.

Anyway, after one awful year and what looks to be the start of another one, I’m gonna vote for the game that just lets you get in a car and hit the open road. Sure wish blondie would leave me alone, though.

5 Likes