sb 64 part 6: loser's bracket part 1 (voting ends november 8th!)

well, we’ll be redoing the nocturne / elevator action match this week, and we’ll be waiting on the results of the lsd / warioware melty blood tiebreaker, but aside from those, these are the first loser’s bracket matches! meaning that whatever loses here is out of the tournament… forever!! heaven or hell let’s rock

• SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI III: NOCTURNE
  • ELEVATOR ACTION RETURNS

0 voters

• THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: MAJORA’S MASK
  • THE LEGEND OF ZELDA

0 voters

• PUYO PUYO SERIES
  • OUENDAN / ELITE BEAT AGENTS SERIES

0 voters

• STREET FIGHTER III THIRD STRIKE: FIGHT FOR THE FUTURE
  • ANIMAL CROSSING

0 voters

• CAVE STORY
  • DOTA 2

0 voters

• MYSTERY DUNGEON: SHIREN THE WANDERER (1995)
  • KLONOA: DOOR TO PHANTOMILE

0 voters

• SONIC MANIA
  • SILENT HILL 2

0 voters

• IKARUGA
  • YUME NIKKI (2004)

0 voters

• FINAL FANTASY VI
  • WCW/NWO REVENGE (AKI N64 WRESTLING REPRESENTATIVE)

0 voters

• PORTAL
  • BABA IS YOU

0 voters

• SONIC ADVENTURE
  • FINAL FANTASY TACTICS

0 voters

voting begins november 4th and ends november 8th!!

9 Likes

two legends enter

1 Like

PORTAL
vs.
BABA IS YOU

As one of the few genre alignments, this is gonna be interesting

IKARUGA
vs.
YUME NIKKI (2004)

fuck

2 Likes

the thing about losers getting bumped off makes losers bracket feel more high stakes, does that make sense? ikaruga vs yume nikki feels like, i don’t want either of these games to just exit

4 Likes

Isn’t the rule that you have to destroy your copy of any game you vote against in its final elimination round?

19 Likes

it’s actually every copy of any game you vote against

5 Likes

i mean, if it helps, both games are still on The List. This whole tournament is just to determine rankings.

2 Likes

i want them both to climb

1 Like

feel like this one’s a real breather after the last few

1 Like

NOCTURNE

ZELDA 1

PUYO

ANIMAL CROSSING

CAVE STORY

SHIREN THE WANDERER

SILENT HILL 2

YUME NIKKI

FINAL FANTASY VI

BABA IS YOU

Now I can’t decide because ironically voting against FFT to tease felix would be good but then I would have to vote for a Sonic and I can’t bring myself to do that

5 Likes

the post i wanted to write was “abstain from your fuckery” but that’s actually quite rude sounding! i just think it’s a funny sentence, so i’m writing this whole post around it to justify it. i like your fuckery.

3 Likes

look, I would vote for Knuckles Chaotix if that was an option

6 Likes

my kinda fuckery

1 Like

Chaotix Good

5 Likes
  • I just looked up a video of Elevator Action Returns because I had never seen it. I always liked the concept of the original game but never played it much. The sequel looks decent but I’m going to have to go with Nocturne. Maybe one day I will play beyond the first few hours of Nocturne. I think I’ve started that game twice but it gets a little overwhelming.
  • I like both of those Zelda games, but I think it’s going to have to be the original here.
  • Cave Story. My only exposure to DOTA 2 was watching a few minutes of the SB session a few weeks ago so I can’t really judge it fairly but how could it possibly be better than Cave Story?
  • Klonoa. This is a case where I know one game but not the other. But I really like the game I know.
  • Ikaruga vs. Yume Nikki is kind of a tough one. The world badly needs more games with dream settings. But I’m leaning toward Ikaruga.
  • Two good puzzle games, but I have to say Portal even though it’s maybe the boring choice.
  • Final Fantasy Tactics.
  • Silent Hill 2. I tried Sonic Mania not too long ago, thinking that I’d give the series one more chance to see whether I could actually enjoy playing a Sonic game. I still didn’t but I do like this video.

4 Likes

i actually do want to write some stuff about some of these, despite all being reappearances

Majora's Mask vs The Original Legend

emotionally i’m all in on majora and voting for it, but the very first zelda is actually really good. it’s the only one in the series where the world feels truly mysterious and unknown, as it doesn’t have this codified guiding hand that zeldas from alttp onwards would use. i also just appreciate working within the heavy constraints of it. no diagonal movements, you stop when you stab. this kind of jank and constraint in nes games is one of the things i love about them, because that’s kinda the most videogame thing ever, to be presented with a very arbitrary but easily understood set of constraints and having to work within them.

puyo's are cute vs aggressive cheerleading

so about rhythm games. the absolute best ones are the ones where the musical note is heard as you press your button, and the game rates you on accuracy of the note. when you are slightly off, you hear that it is off. beatmania and dj max are super cool to sink hundreds of hours into because they work like this, it’s super satisfying to hear yourself getting better.

and the ouendan games are not really like that. the timing is there, but the sound you get is like drums and claps and shit unrelated to the song. the little stories are cool, but playing it a lot getting a perfect in ouendan is not at all like getting even a 90% rating in dj max. you get a score but it’s not felt. and it’s not like i don’t like these games, i played them a lot, but i don’t ever really want to go back to them like i wish i could for dj max.

puyo puyo on the other hand is something i occasionally do go back to, sometimes might even have the idea that i’ll learn to play it, but these games are tricky as fuck and i think i get lost at like, understanding blob order and playing around that or something. i’m still putting the vote for puyo cause it’s probably the best indirect versus puzzler.

Third Strike vs Depression

voting third strike obviously

and sorry, animal crossing really is depressing to me but don’t confuse that for me thinking it’s bad.

i like animal crossing at first because i like just hanging out with cute animal buddies doing little tasks and so on, and i just enjoy the vibe there. eventually, maybe a week, maybe a bit more, these animal buddies will just keep repeating their built in lines, i mean, they HAVE to. you can’t really get around that. and that’s when the depression hits. something about this just makes playing the game really meaningless to me, and i don’t like that feeling at all. i still haven’t played the post-ds ones which look like they have so many neat creative options though, maybe getting busy with that stuff would make it work?

Cave Story vs DOTA2

i’ll always vote against dota, but i’d also vote against any kbm based rts or moba on here. i just really, REALLY, hate rapidly clicking around on stuff. i’m not only bad at it but it easily triggers some rsi shit i already try to counter-act. so maybe not an actual opinion against the game, just a loud objection to kbm clicker games.

i played cave story a bunch but i really wish it would work properly in retroarch cause otherwise i have to play it with analog control which works but feels terrible. the game is cute but i feel like i don’t have a grasp of how it handles on ideal controls.

Shiren vs Klonoa

for whatever reason it’s really hard for me to recall stuff from klonoa despite finishing it once, which i guess means it didn’t impact me strongly? i remember a lot more from klonoa 2 which i didn’t even finish. i do recall i don’t like movement in klonoa. walking feels bad. jumping doesn’t really carry any momentum but still feels floaty.

shiren i played recently so i still remember, still haven’t finished it though. i don’t have a detailed opinion on it, but i really like the mood, and i enjoy this type of japanese roguelike.

Sonic Mania vs Silent Hill 2

silent hill 3 is the best silent hill. silent hill 2 is for mature people who value games with subtlety and abstract themes trying to describe complicated trauma. i’m an immature horror freak who loves silent hill 2 but i love even more this revenge story where your dad died so you go to silent hill and throw insults at the bosses before dicing them with a katana. the blood covered bunny is also hella cute.

sorry, this was a rant unrelated to the matchup, i just really love another sh game so much more for not great reasons. yeah, it’s gonna be silent hill. no, i don’t betray horror games

Ikaruga vs Yume Nikki

it’s too bad i can’t vote for the only stg on here. my only reasoning is that dreaming has always been very important to me. wether it is good or bad, it’s important! and i do keep note of particular dreams, even if they are only really interesting to myself. i don’t have dreams like madotsuki does, but i feel an empathy with the premise here, in which any and all dreams are preferable to opening the door

FF6 vs wrestling

i’m sorry there’s just no chance i’ll get the opportunity to play someone in these wrestling games before the vote ends. no chance. though if i could somehow play it with someone willing to teach me HOW to play these maybe i’ll vote wrestling

Portal vs Baba is You

i don’t feel invested in this. portal because spatial and momentum puzzles are cool.

Sonic Without Physics vs Final Fantasy Tactics

turns out i like fft now (thanks all the people responding with hints to my bitching)

8 Likes

fuck, i feel bad about voting outrun now

just did the tactics raid in ffxiv this morning so i could listen to apoplexy haha

whatever way any vote goes this is still one of the most interesting list of games ive seen. like of course i hate playing a bunch of these games i can still understand why someone would have ANY of the games as their favorite

other top X lists always have these baffling entries because they’re recent and high budget, or like, its just what they think they have to choose

everyone here picked from their heart. i respect that

time to think about my vote choices

6 Likes

*pours one out for the N64 AKI wrestling games

I should like Baba is You more than Portal… but I don’t.

2 Likes