SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS Kawazu Club- the first new SaGa game in over 10 years

wow this difficulty spikes

greater devils and golem commanders do not fuck around. even a treecleaver from one of the commanders does over half of one of my tanks’ hp. most of his attacks are 1shots. do i have to grind now

Normal -> Hard -> Hard -> Hard is kind of unconscionable for required fights. the game is also very strict about disallowing backtracking and didn’t put any grinding zones in this area so if i had worse save discipline i would be stuck. beware

i did reload to grab the healer and she’s done okay for herself. i bring her into most fights and she’s got Rank I on both her starting spells. the AoE heal still takes 3 rounds to come out but at 2 BP it’s great for queueing up turn 1, if you know how to mitigate and spread damage. mages are just great for action economy in general. wonder if there’s a higher proportion of them on other routes. shame about their tiny LP pools

the starting rogue has been my mvp in a lot of fights, those weapon techs have incredible cheap utility that’s hard to find with anyone else (poison, sleep, Matador(!!!)). some techs seem more essential to movesets than others so the fact that glimmers are random means characters’ utility is really difficult to predict in advance

i basically only ever use the Royal Hearts formation, i don’t know how to make anything else viable

in previous games glimmers aren’t totally random, generally the tougher the thing you’re fighting is the higher the chance to spark appropriate techs, might be the same here

fuck i gotta get this thing

1 Like

Is this one of those games that punishes you for fighting too many battles? I’ve got some grinding opportunities here and I’m wondering if I should take advantage.

The battle system is really neat although yeah I’m lucky if I get out of a chain of battles without at least someone dying. Apparently if you rotate them out they’ll regain LP but I’ve only got a couple of reserves right now. I really dunked on the “Hard” Giant Worm, that felt good. It’s nice to see status effects be a big deal. The unite attack system is cute. Definitely a dry story so far but at least it’s not wasting my time with long cutscenes of it.

i started earlier and did a little bit of reading, i believe there is some degree of scaling the more battles you fight but not sure how strong it is

1 Like

I’ve been periodically skimming the Gamefaqs and Resetera topics for this and have been picking up tips from people who have played the original Vita version.

For the dynamic difficulty and grinding, the game does raise difficulty as you play more battles, but supposedly this incline is not as severe has previous games. Additionally, it does not raise as fast if you fight the same battle over and over (something about your battle rank increasing at 2% if you grind the same battle vs it increasing by 10% by switching battles). So if you’re going to grind, find an elemental mine you need crystals from anyway I guess.

Something I’ve slowly been picking up on via what enemies do to me and what strategies the game incentives with the optional battle rewards is that status effects, Interrupts, and Protect/defense skills are going to become the heart of the combat system. Nessa (the starting rogue) was not very appealing to me and I didn’t see myself using her much at all until she built up that toolset full of debuffs. One boss I could do very little physical damage to (like 6-20 HP) but using poison it was taking 178 damage every turn! She’s also got both a ranged attack and a sleep attack for quelling conditionals, and an interrupt for disrupting turn order. She’s the best.

Using sleep and paralysis seem awfully important to manage the large horde of enemies. With Beatrice’s club I’ve got Bonecrusher to cause ATK down and Seismic Strike that can interrupt and potentially cause paralysis to all ground-based enemies. Ogniana’s axe has Maim for Speed down and Vertical Smash for Defense down, both of which make a much larger difference than in other games. And one time I was about to lose the game when she suddenly sparked Dimensional Break, an AOE that caused instant death on all enemies.

Mondo can cause Poison with Mizuchi and it’s also a ranged attack for quelling conditionals. Zigor has ranged attacks, Paralysis, and Confusion so far, and his Quick Knock generally pulls him to the front of the entire timeline. Jamto has an Atk down with Optical Slash and a counter with Optical Slash.

Protects, Counters, Interrupts, and using Defense (just not assigning an action on a turn make that character Defend) are things I’m still trying to learn how to use but they seem like they can be powerful. It seems like each Protect or Counter skill only works with a specific type of attack (slash, pierce, or blunt) but I’m not sure if this is signaled in your movelist? Or if you need to try it out and remember it? But Jamto’s Optical Slash does a ton of damage and negates any damage he would have gotten (maybe you can put him in the center of the Phoenix Dance formation?). Pulling off Protects negates damage for a particular character by the Protecting character performs a block, meaning they don’t take full damage either. This sounds very useful for harder battles.

For Formations, I too have found Royal Hearts to be the old faithful. It’s clearly designed as the stable average formation, but I’ve been experimenting with the others on Easy encounters. One thing I noticed is that the other formations have multiple Benisons that can activate on conditions other than “you’re close to losing” like Royal Hearts, so that’s one benefit they can have. I’ve been using Free For All on some of the harder battles because it increases speed and my characters have been lagging behind recently (those Succubi are too dang fast). Momentun is good when you’re in a battle that has some weak foes and you have reliable and versatile damage dealers because you get 2 BP every time the front two characters kill an enemy. It caps at 11 BP while Royal Hearts is just 8, so in the right battles you can establish a strong BP pool.

All For One has 5-11 BP and increases on United Attacks, which means you need to make specific kinds of kills to increase your BP, but it has three Benisons including Asamas’ Strength, which boosts your attack when you’re fighting strong enemies. Petalstorm has 5-7 (!) BP and increases on any kill, but it has two benisons such as Bartlett’s Strategem which causes defense down, speed down, and chance of sleep on all enemies during protracted battles. So those Benisons can be a bit more practical than the ones Royal Hearts provides, and could maybe even make a large difference depending on what you’re up against?

2 Likes

You’re at Urz Azhuacan (what was it called again?) aren’t you? I just hit that last night and was ready to come here and complain when I saw the fight until I did the fight and found it easier than I expected. However, for me it was Normal - Normal and then a couple of hard fights. Somehow I pulled through the hard fights much easier than I anticipated (not to say they were easy and I wasn’t on the edge of my seat the entire time). Even though I said I would speed through these earlier areas, I’ve been trying to do each battle at least once and aim for the battle rewards when I can (getting even one battle reward nets you a good amount of extra crystals). This has built me a steady income of crystals for upgrading equipment and that’s probably helped a lot. This also gives me extra time to rebuild LP for team members and ranking up/sparking techs.

I think I’ve come to accept that people dying is not a bad thing, it’s just the nature of the game. There are acceptable losses and as long as you come out of a battle on the other side then 1 LP can be worth it. It takes two battles for reserve members to regain 1 LP so side quest nodes are good for rotating party members while accruing resources.

Oh yeah, and I think you asked this but Mirane’s the only person I picked up through Urz Alhuacan (or however it’s spelled). I got someone else shortly after- I initially let Elysed pass without recruiting her but she shortly after came back and joined voluntarily. I’m not sure if this is influenced based on which port your leave the island?

The area you go to after Urz Alhuacan seems rather large, and there’s something interesting stuff there. There’s some sidequest where I’m cursed by a Phantom permanently and bound by it’s rules? It now follows me around the map. It also seems to give you more opportunities to just run around and explore areas without combat. You can leave that region and go to a completely new one to do some side quest where you freely boat around a lake trying to find someone who can teach Urpina dual wielding. And there’s even more extra stuff there regarding faries, fae, and fae hunters.

But I’ve heard once Urpina reaches “Chapter 2” (whatever that means) then her game opens up and gives you more freedom to explore the world rather than confining you to the linear region progression you have before then. Also apparently you get more non-combat events, which sounds nice.

Worst case scenario, if Urpina feels too restrictive too long I hear Leonard’s campaign is fully open almost from the getgo, so that can be a change of pace. Apparently you can go encounter the final boss five or ten minutes in if you really want to, not that you’d necessary be able to win.

1 Like

Oh yeah, here are some stat descriptions from someone at Gamefaqs:

Saving/Loading is obvious.

Getting a good balance is the most important.
Be sure to have enough defending options (character who can protect those who can’t or have lower hp). 2 at least is definitely useful.

Make the most out of magic. It can be extremely powerful.

Remember thay a character who’s not acting automatically defends so anyone with a weapon that can protect the user actually does something when not acting. Defending themselves a bit.

I played the game without swapping characters, just dying as rarely as possible so it’s definitely possible.

Also, here are stats details that can help A LOT.

• Strength :
    Raises damage for swords, axe, mace
    Reduce damage when defending with your weapon

• Dexterity :
    It’s for rapier and bow attack (as well as accuarcy, for the axe especially)
    Counter strength
    Makes buffs better
    Negative status you inflict rate up
    Brawl and Axe accuracy
    Guard rate up

• Mobility :
    Makes you act faster
    Helps brawlers avoid more and attack stronger

• Endurance :
    Gets more HP (only the innate number, doesn’t work when adding accessory endurance I believe).
    Reduce damage receiced
    Cures poison and paralyse faster
    Reduce damage when defending with weapon

• Intelligence :
    Strength of elemental attacks and magic of course
    Negative status rate inflicted by magics
    Better buffs from magics
    Reduce fire, ice, lightning damage received

Acuity :
Lots of spear and bow attacks use it, magic also does
Negative status protection
Accuracy for axe, bow, brawl
Raises guard rate
Heal faster from sleep, confuse and anger (when you’re forced to hit a specific enemy)

Be sure your defending characters have good dexterity, axe users too.
Defending during AoE is great as defended characters take 0 damage but you probably know that already. [The poster later clarifies and explains since AOEs target everyone, Protect skills are guaranteed to trigger so you can potentially Protect two characters from receiving any damage.]

Battle is often against the clock. Resist and kill before being killed. Maybe check again your formations and if you find a decently ok battle to “farm” a bit, change weapon with a character here and there in hope ti get Roles.

Roles can be huge sometimes.

1 Like

nothing else has been too surprising but this is really getting to me

apparently there’s also differing numbers of “slots” for benisons for each formation, going off the ui. once you get a benison with a formation you’re more likely to get it again, but after getting more benisons than slots you’ll start overwriting old ones. Royal Hearts gets only one slot, All For One and Momentum both get 3. theoretically there should also be synergy with Mirane’s Ascetic role, so you could build a team around lottery healing? this game sure does love procs

Oh, is this how it works? It’s not a specific set of benisons for each formation? So the benefit of the 2-3 slot formations would be that you can maintain a larger pool high-chance benisons?

Thinking about this, I feel like I’ve heard that this game doesn’t require much grinding at all, so maybe it really isn’t that big of a deal. Maybe once we learn some better strategies then things won’t be as difficult as they seem to be right now. Though we encounter lots of Hard difficulty battles there’s actually also a Very Hard Difficulty category so it’s not even like we’re up against stuff we’re too under-leveled for. Additionally, I think they were also saying that the gradual increase of the difficulty modifier not only makes it easier to spark to new techs (fighting harder enemies increases the likelihood of glimmers), but playing higher difficulty battles also levels up stats on lower level characters quicker, so it’s easier to even out your roster’s progression. So I guess the game tries to strike a balance on the benefits of grinding a spot.

But overall I’m thinking I should need to be grinding at this point so I just need to learn how to use my tools more effectively, particularly defensive skills.

I’m glad the new SaGa game is as hard and weird as the older ones
It wouldn’t feel right if I didn’t feel like I was doing everything wrong without knowing why

This games rules a lot more than I expected so far, every battle is keeping me engaged all the way

yeah the battles are so good right from the start

i’m wondering if it’s going to be the usual saga learning curve e.g a brutal first playthrough and then beating the final boss with a solo character on the second

do we know if there are spark types in this or can all characters spark techs equally?

The story of the ceramicist so far is: Everybody in her workshop has been making nothing but shitty vases recently. She believes it’s because of some cosmic force that must be mended, I guess? So she decides to follow around the world the first mysterious thing she sees (a phoenix)?

I am absolutely not invested in that story

1 Like

not sure if this is what you mean but the manual mentions that characters have slower learn rates for weapon types where they have a starting skill level of 0

1 Like

Oh. Fighting battles progresses time. If you ever wonder how to trigger something new on a sidequest, keep that in mind.

I’m at an inlet with several towns along a coastal line and I need to go around waiting until a fae gets caught by a fairy trap. It looks like fairy hunters are prowling around hunting them too so I guess I need to find them before the hunters do. Once I find one of the fairy traps around the map have been sprung, I can collect a fairy instead of letting it go free. I can then choose to throw it into the Fairy Hole which gets me a battle with rarer rewards.

Alternatively I can to go check the Water Mirror to see what planet it’s reflecting because this will let me know what day of the week it is, because one of the villagers in one town says she works as a priestess on Wednesdays and so if I go meet her at the Festival Stage I can offer her a fairy so she can do a special ritual and see what happens. The fairy might teach me dual wielding.

But there’s also some guy wandering around who’s found in random nodes who seems to be some super martial arts master and he might be able to teach me about dual wielding to, so every day I’m going around trying to see if I can find it and get on his nerves because he doesn’t want to talk to me. But all the the villages (I think there are around 6 of them in the area) seem to constantly have new dialogue talking about the faeries and fairy prayer culture and how people from my country think they’re heretics and also that the smithy across the inlet totally sucks and I shouldn’t shop there (but the guy telling me this is a smithy himself so he’s really just trying to get my business because both smithies handle the same elemental crystals). The world finally feels a bit more alive.

Also there’s some seal that appears on a coast and I can shoo it back into the ocean and I’m not sure what this does yet. It might spawn a battle on the next day? Triggering different events can create new battle nodes to appear, and it seems like battle nodes are also influenced by what day of the week it is. Like there’s some lady who only goes fishing on one day of the week and she can take you down to an underwater cave for some two-fight battle node. One the same day you can also choose to fight some jelly fish that congregate on towards the east coast but on some other day you can find sharks in the west (I don’t know if this is influenced by the seal).

I guess I could go back to the main story to find my missing brother, but

Also there’s some new system where you can find a Master in a town and he’ll level up a character’s skill, and you can also find Guilds where you can send people out on missions. I don’t know what it gets me yet.

1 Like

I picked this up and am playing the farmboy on my first play through. Should I be swapping out weapons on characters?

1 Like

I haven’t messed around with switching weapons in my first 10 hours, just reforged my existing weapons to make them stronger and worked on trying to spark all their techs. Unless you have a ton of characters who start with the same weapon I don’t think you need to think about it right off the bat. But now that I am at a point where some characters have sparked everything they can off a particular weapon type (as far as I can tell for what level they are) I should probably experiment with weapon switching. The game mentions that many Roles require you to be proficient in two different weapon types to unlock them so now that I have a good rotation of characters I can see how long to takes to expand your available Roles and just how powerful they may or may not be.

One thing I do realize now is that for whatever reason I tend to collect way more Tera crystals than any other element and it’s what I’ve usually been using to level up equipment, but Tera equipment paths all seem to drop your mobility so my cast is fairly slow now. If I want to have a reliable chance of landing earlier in the timeline I have to use the Free For All formation. I need to see how to go about reversing this trend.

1 Like

Oh and how do I get more formations

so far they’ve come packaged with new (sometimes missable) party members but i can’t speak for other routes

1 Like