A Poster played The Dangan Ronpa Series Tonight

NO SPOILIES PLZ

I am excited. I’ve been staring at this game on my shelf for at least 3 years. Wow! Time for a murder mystery. A meta-meta-meta-murder mystery.

It has to be better than the spinoff which was really bad and mad that I played it.

3 Likes

No spoilers but you’re in for a doozy

It’s simultaneously a game that I regret they ever made and a game that I love that they made.

pretty sure the last puzzle is a word search

A few years back I marathoned 1&2, made it like two hours into 3 and then walked away forever. I will never touch it again. Very excited to see the Rudie take, please spoil everything.

This better be good I just updated my vita to download the Japanese voice pack. I got 12 minutes and got up to the first save point.

For a bunch of stupid reasons I just immediately need the Japanese voices to identify the characters while the English text means it won’t be work to play it. Also a game about finding contradictions in a second language and a bunch of stupid mini games sounds awful.

I put the action on the lowest and I am sure I am going to wish it was lower.

I never watched the Anime hope that isn’t vitally important to the story. The like Dangan Ronpa 3 anime.

7 minutes.

Hey the vita, guess the last time I touched this was to play a few games of shirenV before I got scared because I do not understand Shiren.

I never hacked mine because I didn’t want to lose my PSindies games (Oh Deer, 10x8, Tuffy, Tokyo Jungle)

Tuffy was fun but it was too buggy to justify the effort to try and beat it. Did anyone ever beat Tuffy? What was at the top of the tower of bones?

1 Like

I thought the vita controls for Oh Deer were really cool.

There are two Hinge Problems of me talking about Dangan Ronpa 1 and 2. I will try to link them later. I kind of missed the trees for the forest with DR1 and really enjoyed 2 as a murder mystery.

15 seconds.

2 Likes

Wow I am really mad the first murder was spoiled for me while trying to look up how to get japanese language.

I finished the prologue. This one is Way Hornier than the others. That’s fine I guess. Then all the cast are bizarre weirdos.

Feel like the game is already asking me why make 3 of these?

1 Like

V3, not 3. 3 is a really terrible cash grab anime that’s the direct sequel-and-prequel you’ll wish 1 and 2 didn’t have because it reduces all the characters to one-note stereotypes and all explanations it provides about the setting are much less interesting than whatever you’d imagined playing 1 and 2, while V3 is a really interesting game that really goes places although whether it was needed or not is up for debate.

@Rudie you don’t need to know anything about the anime apart from the fact it exists and is a terrible cash grab.

1 Like

Thanks!

Dangan Ronpa is about pulling the rug out from under you. They’ve done it twice. This game a 3rd in a series made because the first two were very successful has to try and justify itself. The player knows the score. They’ve seen it play out twice.

The mind games between the player and the game here are always the best part and having a lot of fun marinating in the prologue. I mean not playing it just trying to get all the opening information out of the way.

@HOBO the text and walk speeds are VERY FAST. I need to go lower the cursor speed a bit.

I kind of hate using a vita I think. Wow I played so many stupidly long games on this thing.

1 Like

That whole first paragraph makes me very angry (at spike chunsoft, not at you)

Yeah so both of y’all have mentioned like, why did they need to make v3? And that was the question I asked myself that led to me dropping the game, never to return. But I still cared a little bit, so I never spoiled the game for myself…this thread is just what I want in terms of experiencing v3.

@Rudie are you gonna play ultra despair girls?

I did play Ultra Despair Girls all the way through and it sucked. Bad uninteresting game.

1 Like

Danganronpa V3 is pretty good! Each time I played a mainline Danganronpa I thought « maybe I’m too old for this » and had a blast anyway

V3 spoilers I don’t think I’ve ever been equally as impressed as annoyed than after witnessing the end of the first trial in that game

2 Likes

I watched a streamer play all three of these games, and he got SO INDIGNANT about the moment you referenced. The game really dances on that line between “lies of omission” and “deliberate misdirection from inaccurate wording”, and I can’t say for sure that it doesn’t put its foot down on the wrong side of that line, if only just for a moment.

1 Like

DOWNLOADING NOW

3 Likes

Danganronpa 1 and 2 (2 more so) were always not-really-secretly horny. The whole social link part is a light dating sim where you get your target’s underwear (or absence of underwear in one case) when you max their affection, and while there’s only the one hidden bath scene of all the girls in the first game, in Danganronpa 2 and 3 they hid a lot more of those throughout the game. The relevant choices are unlocked by having the right object at the right time, you get those the same way you get the social link gifts, through the gashapon machine.

For example in Danganronpa 2 if you’ve got manly nuts (yep) in your inventory you can use them to go spy on Koizumi and Saionji when they take a shower. That one’s the peak of fanservice in 2 although the others are “soft fanservice”, ie typical dating sim nerd events like looking at fireworks in yukatas and so on. To be fair DR3 errs a lot more on the shower side, and additionally it has a whole new dimension to the dating side of things which Monokuma will explain in due time.

the only thing i know about this series is that someone on this forum once referred to it as ‘dang ol’ grandpa’ and i’ll never be able to have a single other thought about it as long as i live

10 Likes

nevermind i have a second thought to think about this now

3 Likes
Up to the first trial

Wow they spent a lot of time on those security cameras. They also reveal with Detective that probably everyone is guilty of punishing an innocent in the past. That feels very Ronpa.

Now on the murder! Mysterious boy really reminded me of mysterious boy from the 2nd game (I have absolutely forgotten everyone’s names). They are clearly referencing him with Rantaro and Kouma (whatever the lier boy.)

Nevermind this is almost directly referencing the murder from the first game.

I got three possibilites. One some how Rantaro bashed himself in the head so hard he killed himself. The blood on the ball confirms that.

Two Mio (inventory girl) used her Drone and dropped the ball on his head.

Three Detective Boy (or is he?) set up a bunch of alibis to kill Rantaro and is maybe working with monokuma. Or whatever this Monokuma is. They already references this is probably VR just like the second one.

I don’t want any spoilers! Just thought y’all would like to hear my thoughts. If anyone else wants to play along I am planning to stew on these thoughts for a few days before I continue. I love just stewing in this murder mystery.

5 Likes