Romancing SaGa 2 / general kawazu worship thread

So Romancing SaGa 3 is currently on sale for the Switch at $12.17. Romancing SaGa 2 is on sale at full price–$24.99. Tell me which I should get, SelectButton!

1 Like

If you want a mildly-janky CRPG romp for SNES, get 2

3 is polished, feels substantial in its battles and dungeon crawling, very un-cohesive, great music

2 Likes

they’re both great, 2 is super interesting but 3 is probably a better introduction to SaGa and they made a slightly better job on the remaster

if you like finding yourself bewildered by something for x hours then breaking it over your knee spectacularly maybe lean 2, a lot of the more ridiculously overpowered things got punitive nerfs in 3

man i wish i had the time to revisit these, have a save an hour or so into a katarina rs3 playthrough where i got my ideal party and a lot of the more finnicky stuff setup immediately and then something else came up

1 Like
8 Likes

YES

They added the lost 8th main character?? This is big. Each main character has a wildly different quest with an unique final boss and everything, unlike Romancing SaGa 3

2 Likes

gonna be very curious to see just how much of this they touch up because like 3/7 of the quests are like, mostly cut together from b-roll in the original

1 Like

I’m mostly surprised that the redrawn sprites don’t look horrible

1 Like

They’re both fairly similarly unorthodox, Romancing SaGa 2 adds a whole new layer of atypical weirdness with the whole kingdom management / generation shift thing. It’s great but can get a bit overwhelming, especially since difficulty is higher as a whole in 2 IMO. I’d get 3 first since it’s half the price

1 Like

I don’t think they will do much beyond adding the 8th scenario and adding a few quests to every character. There’s way too much work needed to un-jank SaGa Frontier, where would you even start??

What the game mostly needs is a better translation. One emblematic examples of the awful original translation: This is one of the final bosses

It’s called Diva… Yes it was supposed to be Deva instead

1 Like
1 Like

oh yeah another plus for romancing saga 2:

2 Likes

Heuse! The eighth man ever, if my not-great Japanese is to be believed! No more men were necessary after that! Also, who is that lady-shaped person in 0:25 and are they a significant part of the game? Because hello.

When I was little I was always confused as to why Blue’s arch rival was some guy named Rouge and not Red.

She’s a playable character in Red’s scenario (and now, Fuse’s)

Squeenix is getting pretty close to having ported literally every SaGa game in one form or the other on the Switch. So far 7 have been / are getting ported and there are only 3 left (Saga frontier 2, Romancing Saga 1/ Minstrel song and Unlimited SaGa)
I’m still surprised we continue to get these when one Final fantasy 6 remaster in the same style would sell more than all of them combined

3 Likes

I think the thought process for that was:

• Let’s call Blue’s rival… Red
  • Wait another character is already called Red, and he’s a main character
  • Uuh let’s still call Blue’s rival Red, but like, in French or German, I don’t know
2 Likes

They already released an FF6 remaster a few years ago.

The SaGa remasters are probably falling into the same effort as those FF remasters. Mobile-friendly ports that also come to every console under the sun. It’s also probably due to Kawazu Power too. He’s got to be one of the oldest people at SE at this point and doesn’t seem to be doing much other than shadow dropping a low budget SaGa thing every several years.

still cant get over how much i hate the way this looks

3 Likes

Those backgrounds in the SF RM look somewhat sharp

AI upscaling

1 Like

Fuckin finally, I’ve been wanting to play FF8 and 9 but even screenshots of the game give me a headache, like my eyes don’t know what to focus on

Missed opportunity not calling this SaGa Frontier Re;maStered 🤷