Romance of the Three Kingdoms movies??

I want to brush up on this story before the new Total War game comes out. What is the coolest Romance of the Three Kingdoms movie I can watch?

zhang yimou’s was OK

1 Like

Dude body-checks a horse in Red Cliff.

3 Likes

I don’t remember what the horse did but most of them probably have it coming.

3 Likes

That looks like a patently ridiculous movie

I love it

1 Like

That’s the gray Kung Lao movie that just came out, right? Or is there another one

Oh, do you all mean Zhang Yimou’s Shadow? I just watched that in a theater the other week. I didn’t realize it was a Rot3K movie, although googling now I see it’s an Rot3K facsimile rather than something directly related. It’s a gorgeous movie but I don’t know that the story is quite as intriguing as the visual direction and tone of writing makes it feel like it should be?

Still manages to make a 30 second, three move fight scene more arresting than most fight scenes I’ve seen come out of Hollywood in a long time (sans John Wick).

That’s the one I meant, yeah. It looks cool from the trailer. But as you said, it’s probably just barely recognizable as a three kingdoms movie. I’ll watch it anyway

There are also TV series, most notable adaptations being the 90s version that is very close to the book iirc and the 2010 version which takes some more liberties but otherwise pretty great too. They are also subbed (2010 fansubbed, old one has some more dubious engrish) and available on the interwebz (2010 easier to find than the old one).

1 Like

I wholeheartedly endorse Red Cliff. Watch the longest version.

(It also is far closer to Hong Kong 80s/90s John Woo than anything he’s made since working in Hong Kong)

1 Like

Close to the book sounds good so I tracked down the 90s version. And yeah, the subtitles suck. Don’t know that I’ll be able to watch that. So, 2010 version it is. I doubt that I’ll be able to watch all 90+ episodes but we’ll see. Knowing a little bit is still better than knowing nothing.

I love Hong Kong era John Woo with all my heart so this sounds great

I can’t find the split Part I and Part 2 version, just the international one that’s half as long. I’d spend a few bucks on it but I can’t even buy it anywhere to stream it. Seems to be Asia only. This is bullshit. If anyone’s got a link, well, let me know…

i loved Shadow, but I wouldn’t really recommend it as a rot3k movie.

i guess i’m watching Red Cliff this weekend