rolling world

animal crossings have them everyone knows but what other game has this magical effect?

iCarly 2 has:
wii icarly 2 tower wii icarly 2

Terranigma has an “inverted” one:
Terranigma

15 Likes

Axelay sort of did this with snes mode 7 effects (looks like terranigma as you mentioned)

4 Likes

i wanted to say the ps2 version of dq5’s overworld gives this impression, but it’s not quite as obvious

Deathspank was a rolling world Diablo-lite

Took me like 15 minutes to remember the name of that game

5 Likes

yooou’re lone-ly~ rolling world :musical_note:

5 Likes

Do miniature spherical worlds like Ratchet and Clank 2’s count?

Sonic’ Bonus-zones, and phew, does Nights also qualify for this?

1 Like

PS1 Final Fantasy VII (and VIII and IX?) had torus/donut shaped world maps that had that rolling effect as you moved through them.

I just played a game with these miniature worlds on my stream! Tadaima Wakusei Kaitaku chuu! image

3 Likes

ohhh i only twigged that the terranigma effect was to suggest walking on the inside of a hollow world

or maybe just to look cool. bless that game

4 Likes

I’ve tried thinking about how the underworld in Terranigma works for so long and it really makes no sense

Unless the earth is a hollow donut and you’re like on the other side of the hollow donut with reverse gravity or something

Aaaah

3 Likes

obvious choice:

hub world from katamari damashi

1 Like

well. there’s no scientific law that negative mass can’t exist (just no evidence that it does); if it did, we could hypothesise that it would repel objects rather than attracting them. so if there’s a central inner globe (or donut) propagating an inverted gravitational field then that could make things ‘fall’ outward to the interior of the hollow earth shell.

the negative mass would be repelling itself as well, though, so the crust would need to possess extreme tensile strength in order not to crack apart and fall away from its own core. or… maybe… it’s held together by a core consisting of positive mass once again. on and on like a planetary matryoshka

3 Likes

I know some flat-earthers who would stab their eyes out if they saw this thread.

5 Likes

i mean if you’re going to believe in a differently shaped earth you could at least get creative with it!

what about self-intersecting monopolar earth

5 Likes

Makes perfect sense thank you

I’m disappointed that when I first played Terranigma I was just normally impressed by the « the game takes place on Earth » plot twist and didn’t have the knowledge to realize it implied that our planet’s center is a matryoshka of negative and positive mass cores. It would really have heightened the plot twist

3 Likes

Why does this video make me think of Dead or Alive? :fearful:

playboy’s surface

Panoramical in its very finest mode is horizon-edging

2 Likes
3 Likes