RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE SBCOOP: Let’s start a cooperative

I’m so down

New idea: Expand the purpose of the coop to include support for any kind of creative output, not just game development. I want to publish comic books and things like that, either works by singular creators or anthologies of collected stuff from many different people or creative teams. Assuming such hypothetical people could be persuaded to sign on to the endeavor then a cooperative structure might be a decent way to do something like that.

I have things I’m working on but I still want to retain ownership of the IP. I assume this would be true of anyone else joining. So how would that work out in terms of other members of the coop? You would think in a coop everyone shares ownership of what’s produced since they’re going to share in the profits, right? Or would we just do things on a case by case basis? Like I would say I want to retain the final decision over a thing I’m making but if you want to help me out I’ll agree to a royalty or something to help compensate you?

I guess it’s easier to figure out when you’ve already got something going and you know specifically the things you need or want help with. I currently am not actually asking for help with anything just wondering how it would work out once I did.

Also I think we need to make something together just to show others what success looks like and why being a part of our coop is in their interests. I need to put together a CV type document so everyone looking to join could get an idea of what I could be able to help them with. We should all probably do that just as a matter of course and then if we decide at any point we want to move the coop in a more specific direction we can know what we’re lacking and be able to let others know what skill sets we’re looking for.

This is my way of saying yes, I am still down.

One of my current ideas is to eventually have enough money to buy an actual printing press, either a plain black and white one or a four color one if I could get a place to put it (in addition to raising the funds to purchase it). Even just a small black and white newsprint press that I could set up in my garage would be awesome. I would print all kinds of stuff.

1 Like

This is a fine idea. The way I am currently conceptualizing the Coop is that it is a collectively owned (customer owned) Publisher. It gives us an umbrella brand, which is good for everyone, but we control the publishing deals democratically, which should protect us from predatory publishing deals.

We can publish anything.

3 Likes

I need a second signer for the bank account. Who wants to do this?

What are the risks?

Fucking up on taxes, I guess. People getting pissed when we take all their money and go on vacation in Vegas.

1 Like

Our avatars really give the impression of having a conversation.

5 Likes

What do you have to do regarding taxes? Just declare any income you made from the coop?

I think its more like the coop would have to file taxes.

Ah. And anyone who signed on to the account would be on the hook for taxes and fees and stuff.

https://cooperatives.extension.org/cooperative-taxation/

I’m thinking on it.

I watch lots of Twitch tournaments, let me in plz :slight_smile:

You’ve got my vote!

I’ve been thinking a lot about this project and I still feel like it’s got potential and is something I’d want to be part of. I’m just so cautious now because I know how lazy and unreliable I am! I think I’m really not cut out for most of the stuff that needs to get done, like writing all the documents we had planned. It’s so hard to cooperate on stuff like that when you’re a bit shy and aren’t face to face with the people you’re working with. I feel like I can bring nothing to the table that one of you couldn’t do better and that’s keeping me from doing stuff in the first place. I don’t know how to overcome this!

All right, who wants to do a zoom call on Monday?

I will be at work Monday. Unless you mean like sometime Monday evening. Also I need to download and setup zoom.

We can conference however you’d like. What time Monday evening works for you? I’m in the eastern time zone.

Let’s do any time after 6:00 pm central.

Got a zoom alternative you want to use?

Zoom is fine. I just created an account.