Ripping CDs

I have a ton of CDs that I need to rip. I just tried doing Foobar with the default rip and it’s giving me .wav files?!? And it takes around 17 minutes to rip a full CD? Am I doing this right?!?

Somebody set me straight here.

I always used exact audio copy for this, it’s free iirc

4 Likes

yeah eac rules

you could grab the commandline flac or lame or something like this to convert the wavs you’ve already ripped

2 Likes

no, it should take less than half that.

i used foobar for ripping only a few times but i assume you set ripping security to “standard” which IIRC similar to EAC’s secure mode; “disabled” should be the same as EAC’s burst mode and that + accuraterip verification is what you should be using by default.

make note of what discs don’t pass AR verification or are otherwise suspect and deal with those later

if you’re starting fresh and aren’t looking to upload your rips to private music trackers, i say skip EAC and use CUERipper instead. much simpler and can even repair some rips by using the CTDB, EAC can optionally submit your rips to CTDB but can’t use it for repairing them, only CUERipper can afaik

foobar is also perfectly fine if you don’t care about generating cue sheets or logs

3 Likes

Could never get EAC to support Japanese characters in tags but I got used to manually putting them in afterwards.

I literally have no idea what half the words in this thread mean so maybe I’m not the one to ask but I got the paid version of MediaMonkey and it rips CDs good as far as I can tell

1 Like

i use foobar to rip to OGGs so i’m the real monster here

1 Like

Has anyone used one of those resurfacing machines in the last decade? I see disc doctors when I step into Microcenter’s black hole time dilation but nowhere else. I’ve got some rough discs.

I used mine for like 15 years. Seemed to work but will make the disc look funky.

Now I am wondering if that’s in my storage locker.

I’m pretty sure some years back when I ripped all of my CDs I just used windows media player.

WMP and the like will almost always do the job, secure rippers exist only for the corner cases: tracks with pre-emphasis, secret tracks, cue sheets, and for defective or damaged discs where normal rippers can’t be trusted. if none of that matters for you, any thing that reads a CD and dumps music files on the hard drive is equally good

having said that, for beginners with a lot of cds to copy there’s no way i won’t recommend either CUERipper or EAC with CTDB plugin because when using those you’re helping others by sending error correction data to the database.
worth the extra 5 minutes it takes to configure them, they both auto-fetch metadata and are as fast anything else, 2 to 5 minutes per disc

don’t trust any guides that say you must use secure mode, that’s how you end up with 20 minute rips for every disc instead of only the few that might need it