reed reeds the Great Books (currently on: the odyssey)

listening to ralph stanley, starting to realize i need to watch O Brother Where Art Thou in earnest

all you really need to know about o brother is it allowed john goodman to put CYCLOPS on his resume and for this we should all be thankful

Damn! Weā€™re in a tight spot!

1 Like

Donā€™t you bring no damn Killer7 refs into this.

1 Like

master

weā€™re in a tight dan

1 Like

while i was in the hospital, on the shelves were best sellers that i wasnā€™t super interested in but, i noticed a cute light pink book with a familiar title: pride & prejudice! i have never really read any austen before this. my exposure to her work has always been livejournal icons from the movie with kiera knightly or screenshots / gifs on tumblr.

this book is honestly a joy. the characters are so snide and sarcarstic. the ever famous mr. darcy is like, the biggest asshole. i really had no idea. posts i saw were always of him painted as this slightly tortured soul and that always made him endearing to me. the romance of early 2000s fangirls will forever be the altar i worship from.

i ended up not actually bringing stealing the copy that was there because iā€™m trying to turn over a new leaf. i mildly regret this because i want to continue. amazon and barneā€™s and nobel hardcovers are calling out to me from a distance.

7 Likes

Austenā€™s Emma is one of the better comedies Iā€™ve read

2 Likes

itā€™s included in the collection i linked so iā€™m looking forward to it!

1 Like

Itā€™s very much like a shojo comic, which surprised me when I read it

1 Like

ah, okay yeah! that explains some t-shirt crossovers iā€™ve seen. her work definitely seems to have that vibe and iā€™m livin for it

1 Like

I also canā€™t recommend Middlemarch highly enough, which is like the grouchy older sisterā€™s less sarcastic but more cynical version of an Austen novel.

3 Likes

Middlemarch is amazing. I still think about it by accident sometimes.

I donā€™t know where the book thread is after 10 seconds of PG DN, so I am depositing this coin in the first piggy bank I see (this thread, right here buddy).

I started reading Gibsonā€™s sequel to The Peripheral, Agency. It is exquisite, and I always believe that I will see @shrug somewhere in the background as a character who knows as much as everyone else about stubs and temporal branching but declines to participate.

2 Likes

my first instinct was to say my aggressive commitment to genericlothes would keep me off Gibsonā€™s radar, but then remembered my dark habit of buying Maybe Overpriced Semi-Obscure Outdoor and Work Brand Outerwear, Without Public-Facing Labels, when I actually Have Income, in the hope that they will last me for eternity, and realized-

5 Likes

There have been several the past few years. I made a list just now going from most recent activity to least.

Pick yer poison:

This thread. (You Are Here)
childhood literature taste (currently axe only. SB EXCLUSIVE)
Whatā€™re you readinā€™ (Going by post count this is ā€œThe Book Threadā€)
Letā€™s all be goodreads friends. (Are you on goodreads? Do you want to be friends?)
Post your library (Bookshelf Braggadocio more like)
short fiction thread
philosophy
book about videogame (It had the word ā€œbookā€ in the title so I included it)

5 Likes