Recommend/talk about (mostly) non-mainstream films!

well then, it’s settled~!

1 Like

Dead Man still owns. seconding Down by Law. The Limits of Control is an interesting exercise in detachment

1 Like

Only Lovers Left Alive is maybe the coolest film ever and there’s not much more to it than that but that’s ok

6 Likes

Not a movie but watch the fishing with john episode with jim jarmusch

5 Likes

The block of cheese and the wooden legs line are two of my all time favorite things.

2 Likes

I thought the wooden legs line was on the dennis hopper episode? But yeah that one really stuck with me

1 Like

I keep meaning to see this if only because I really like this John Foxx track which has nothing to do with it:

1 Like

Oh you’re right!

I haven’t seen it since it first aired on IFC, but I’m glad the dearly departed Hulu/Criterion deal seems to have given it a second wind online a couple years back.

Did Lurie ever confirm that he got lime disease filming that though? That’s the one bummer about that show.

there was a 3 year gap between the end of fishing with john and the documented start of his lyme disease so its possible that’s what happened but unlikely.

1 Like

You know how sometimes you get a phrase stuck in your head for life?

Whenever I’m trapped in a taxing situation I hear in my head the inner monologue voice of Jim Jarmusch saying “Why am I here?” from his episode of Fishing with John.

2 Likes

If Sqürl comes to your town, you ought to check them out.

@WinonaGhostRyder shared some movie recs way back in 2012(?) which I am indebted to for getting me some real Film Cred.

El Aura

2 Likes

chameleon street (1989) - a guy who hates his job assumes various disguises to move in parts of society that were previously closed off to him. that’s a really bland description - this film rules go see it

the shout (1978) - weird english folk horror featuring one of my favourite depictions of magic onscreen. also has alan bates and john hurt

throw down (2004) - i love basically all johnnie to movies but this one is about judo and friendship and akira kurosawa

mikey and nicky (1976) - peter falk and john cassavetes wander around philadelphia and argue. incredible movie, directed by elaine may who deserved better than she got.

august in the water (1995) - not even sure how to describe this one. disaster movie + ecology lesson?

girlfriends (1978) - like decoding the rosetta stone but it just says FRANCES HA in block capitals over and over

love massacre (1981) - bright white colours obscure the subs. cool movie about a…love…massacre.

3 Likes

I watched Alex Ross Perry’s “”"“adatation”""" of Gravity’s Rainbow last night, Impolex. Incoherent like being fed the regurgitated pages of the book from the bin of a paper shredder. But it still has some internal coherency, even though I don’t know what it means really. Particularly liked the portrayals Slothrop and Grigori, the octopus. Lots of mumbling cut-up-method style jokes going off all at once in the dialogue. Recommended with a 760 page caveat, but curious what it would be like seeing this knowing nothing.