I got this game based on the developer being really passionate about their own game:
I built the city I always wanted to drive in
Caddywack is about getting from A to B in the most ridiculous way possible. You pick up a passenger, you get a time limit, and then you’re free to drift, grind rails, launch off ramps, and spin through the air the whole way there. The crazier the route, the bigger the score.
And yes, the game is indeed as ambitious as its description. Unfortunately the thing it fails to say is that the main mode is actually…Vampire Survivors, with a car. And not a good one at that. On low resolutions (like the Steam Deck) the outlines around the enemies are so thick that the smaller ones are just black until you get much closer. It’s impossible to tell what’s hurting or healing you. The enemies are all basically the same, and just increase in number rather than difficulty. The stunts don’t seem to matter at all. Hitting A to confirm an upgrade also makes your car jump because its the same button. Half-pipes fling you way into the air at any speed.
It’s all Not Great, and it’s Vampire Survivors?? It’s so weird.
And the second mode is an open world crazy-taxi-alike except instead of being an arcade game, it’s mission based, so it has no urgency whatsoever. The car feels terrible to drive and again stunts don’t seem to matter that much.
I really respect the amount of passion put into it and I’m not gonna return it, but damn. Not a great game lmao
I am not gonna leave a review because I would feel bad dunking on this developer also