Random game names (Part 1)

So…

My Last Random Game Names Post… In This Topic

Got it ready so even with the extra posts I now have left I see no point in delaying, y’all can use the other four or so posts as you see fit (use them though, I’d rather the topic close than the axe eat it a few posts shy.)

Coming up to this it felt like a decent time to end as I’ve seen so many games like this that I worry I’ve become somewhat desensitized to them. I’ve put up screenshots for thousands of games and the names of ten thousand (probably?) and I often find myself going “is this really remarkable or worth sharing, surely I’ve put up something like this a bunch of times already”. Add in that it’s a rather… for lack of a better term “lonely” topic with me just posting by myself with someone else chiming in once or twice a month and, you know, all things end sometime.

The thing is that I wanted to have a big final post and the natural overambitious one is a best of as surely scrolling through nearly 2000 posts made over 4 1/2 years won’t take a while (spoiler: it takes a while) and… I didn’t realize how many games I came across for the first time, wishlisted or played because of this topic. I wrote down about thirty games, with at least a couple dozen more that I played from the giant bundle that I didn’t remember that I saw in here beforehand. It would legit be a shame to miss out on these discoveries, and I have no idea if there is any way I can avoid doing that while not doing this.

So here is what’s happening: I am still gonna be looking at the Steam new releases every weekday as I did before this topic was ever a thing. For the next week or two or however long I’ll see if I feel like I can effectively browse the flood of new releases without the structure this provided, and if not then this will return. If I can though… then this is the end.

ANYWAYS,

With that out of the way as I alluded to before there is only way this could end, a look at what has stuck out in my memories of this endeavor, games I’ve tried or others have bought, various screenshots, baffling store quotes, pretty gifs, basically the sole logical endpoint…

RANDOM GAMES FROM RANDOM GAME NAMES

Warning! Absurdly too long, sorry to Felix for setting the servers on fire but hey, it’s the end of the month I’m sure it’ll be fine.

First off…

The Hall of Fame

People who seemingly bought games because of this topic, take a bow!

VastleCania: Super Bugman Extreme Ultra
a new duck: The Bloobles and the Quest for Chocolate
Tulpa: Archaid, How Fish is Made
BustedAstromech (and maybe MimeParadox?): Boreal Tenebrae
Father.Torque: Lycanthorn II - Rain of Beasts

And now… chaos~

I Misteri di Maggia: Someone in a small Swiss village took tons of pictures of it and made a basic Myst-like, basically stealing the idea from younger me.

Nogibator: Way Of Legs: tower defense game against giant legs

Fell Seal: Arbiter’s Mark: tactical rpg with the land whale vs guy in an open grave

Giraffe Town: The giraffe silent hill game

In October of 2018 I C&P’d and wrote this about Magicae Mundi:

I went and checked: it is still in early access.

I must never forget the 4 kinds of magic (from The Goracle)

All the times I got to make my “giant about to stomp on a town” joke with RPG Maker games that looked like this:

GORSD: I swear I posted this exact screen multiple times as the game kept popping up on the new release list, so might as well do it one more time

I still love the prallax in Explorer of Night

This gif that should have taken over the internet IMO

Jacob’s Fantastic SeXXXual Voyage: Of all the sex games that I can’t show pictures of this was the most amazing “you know how R-Type was subtly sexual? This is explicitly sexual” shoot 'em up. If a consenting adult who is okay looking at naked stuff cared it might be worth sneaking a peak.

May 23 2019 and September 30 2019: I ended up playing multiple games named and pictured on each of these days, it is possible!

A link to the flaming wreckage of the VVVVV (that is the letter V five times, not six) forum, where even with the guy deleting all the topics that bring up the name being a ripoff a few still remain.

How much effort the game TaniNani put into making its screenshot thumbnail bar flow together nicely

WORLD OF HORROR: I pray this leaves early access eventually because it still looks wonderful

Archaid: The game we as a forum willed Tulpa to play

I never remember the game (it is ITTA) but I’ll always remember this gif

…and this gif was from the same day, from LAZR (which I did wishlist), best gif day ever!

…and this (from Daiichi Dash) was a week later, April 2020 was perhaps the greatest steam gif month

CYBER.one: trans car racing: “In the fight against the machines, you are helped by a transwoman, your love, who managed to preserve the remains of humanity, so she fights with the new nature of a robot.”

We need more vaguely sexy racing games.

(It’s Dragon Audit)

This Ego in a Coma trailer

The best send up of Limbo ever (from Don’t Die! Douche!)

When I wrote this in I believe late October 2020:

…Goddammit.

I am still blown away at releasing a single player demo for a co-op only game (The Amulet of AmunRun).

Imagine Lifetimes

I still love this gif (game is Morkredd)

I sadly never went back to see if Critters for Sale ended up being any good (just went and put on my wishlist) as this is a great look.

I am so glad I have another chance to link the whale parkour gif (《Drifting : Weight of Feathers》)

God I forgot about Papetura and how swell it looks, gonna add this to the wishlist too.

This paragraph

And finally, a listing of games I’ve played, wishlisted (with the intention of actually maybe playing at some point) or otherwise entered my life initially thanks to my time doing this:

El Tango De La Muerte
Dogurai
Skater Cally
Tamashii
Path to Mnemosyne

Pig Eat Ball

From Beyond Prologue

Vision Soft Reset
Euclidean Skies
Alt-Frequencies
And All Would Cry Beware!

Creature in the Well

Backspace Bouken

Salad Fields
I Have Low Stats But My Class Is “Leader”, So I Recruited Everyone I Know To Fight The Dark Lord: The crazy 99 party sized jrpg

Wurroom and other wondrous looking Rfdshir games

Chipmonk!

NUVAVULT: it had a demo and I wrote it up in this topic and C&P’d it on the steam forums so the dev gave me a free key
reky

The Indifferent Wonder of an Edible Place

Puddle Knights
Wavey The Rocket
Boreal Tenebrae

Syzygy
Toodee and Topdee

qomp
Plokoth

Romino’s Adventure

TEOCIDA

The Tribulation Entanglement

Well that’s it. If you read this far congrats, and if I never do this again I hope all of this over the years at least brightened up a few of your days. If not… well that’s your own fault for continuing to click on this topic.

~Fin~

19 Likes