Rainbow Six Siege is the best hero shooter and best milsim

yeah, there are some little nephews but they are the minority

2 Likes

depending on the match, it can be pretty toxic, but iā€™d say as a beginner if someone calls you out for doing stupid things, just say you just started playing and ask for any tips in the chat.

Did the thread title escalate since the last time I logged in

1 Like

When did people start saying hero shooter instead of class-based shooter?

overwatch basically afaik

itā€™s consistent in that the ā€œclassesā€ are actually written as individual characters with backgrounds if youā€™re into that sort of thing, I only used it because I havenā€™t really liked an overwatch-contemporary class based shooter other than this one

2 Likes

I love finding the clever little details in this game. I discovered the other day that Thatcherā€™s EMP grenade really does disable peopleā€™s laser sights if they get hit by the blast.

Muteā€™s jammers will hide you from Lionā€™s drone.

IQ can be used to spot Pulse if heā€™s using his gadget.

Siege is such an awesome game.

2 Likes

Siege has a uniquely detailed audio simulation which takes into account the path of the sound as opposed to a stereo image based on direction and additive occlusion based on number of walls traversed in a direct vector between the sound and the player: Game Design Deep Dive: Dynamic audio in destructible levels in Rain

It does in fact work better than other multiplayer shooters, and in many ways is more crucial for situational awareness!

Hell, Iā€™m way too anxious to just hop online after all Iā€™ve heard. I donā€™t want to be the noob that ruins the game for the team.

Donā€™t worry about it! Iā€™ve played this game in three distinct spurts, re-noobing each time, and it is a friendly community in casual.

My theory as to why the community is friendly is that the gameā€™s destructible environments and general tactics create a level of uncertaintly that prevents the sort of saltiness one sees in eg CS, LoL/DotA, OW, etc. Those games, at a certain level of abstraction, are about knowing the map and your role and executing an expected strategy, and not performing your role very directly (negatively) affects the experience of the other players (and vice versa), which draws out the salt in those who are salt-inclined. Good teamplay certainly is rewarded in Siege, but you are not prevented from performing your role by others failing to perform theirs in the same way that playing Zenyatta in Overwatch is a huge pain in the ass if the rest of the team refuses to pay any attention to the back lines.

1 Like

If you start playing ranked, you will find the community to be much more toxic. Once there is something at stake and people care about the outcome, there is the potential for them to get extremely mad if they see you making a misplay.

That said though, the higher you get in ranked, the less toxicity you get. This is because teamwork is key in Siege and people that shit on their team in voice chat all the timeā€¦ just tend to make their team do worse. Good players know this and try to remain positive as much as possible. Toxic players are usually very stupid people, and as such are generally confined to the lower ranks. Mid-Silver to Gold is probably the worst for toxicity - once you get to high Gold/ low Plat, the air starts to clearā€¦

1 Like

in that case Iā€™m glad that so many skilled/enthusiastic people still play casual, I really donā€™t have anything to prove in that department

you are not solo queuing on easter euro servers, thatā€™s why

yeah mute is incredible versatile, but he is best at jamming reinforced walls. put one jammer right between two reinforced slabs of wall and you basically got both of those two walls blocked from thermite and hibana.

also, in oregon basement, if you place mute jammer on the table right near the hatch above, you can jam the hatch as well, making it pretty shitty for attackers.

mute jammers are sort of useless against drones because most people know the locations anyway and iā€™d always wait until you know thereā€™s twitch or not before laying down jammers.

This logic applies to most games. Whiners never get farā€¦ I really should stop whining!

good lord this is great

if titanfall 2 was ā€œoh shit I like it as much as quakeā€ then this is ā€œoh shit I like it as much as counterstrikeā€

1 Like

I also just got a team on which we kept singing different verses of lionel richieā€™s ā€œhelloā€ and decided we were strike team richie

we lost

then we decided to use the immobile mounted turret guy on the narrow airplane breaching map on the grounds that no one would ever expect such a ridiculous strategy

we won

2 Likes

this is seriously like a ten out of ten game yā€™all

it is immensely polished and rewarding, every scenario is completely different from the last

it didnā€™t even click for me for like five hours

1 Like

Is it uncouth to play with a controller on PC? Asking for a friend (lol for real!)

Like, are people going to notice/be dicks about it?

nah, people are nice

Also youā€™re gonna blow like 50% of your faceoffs anyway, unless you have very good reflexes you really want to avoid going directly up against anyone

I get critiqued on dumb strategy occasionally but no one has ever minded my being shot, it happens

Nice!

Why did they have to do all the right things in a competitive game.

1 Like

Well you can do co-op stuff against AI with the mode terrorist huntā€¦ But itā€™s true that thatā€™s not really the point and itā€™s not going to get you to use all the Special Weapons And Tactics in the way you would in the competitive setting

Well, as a milsim it definitely pales in comparison to older Rainbow Six games anyway, and I think most of the compromises are tolerable only precisely because itā€™s a competitive game. as a hypothetical SP milsim shooter it sucks fucking ass.

i mean, I wish it was even more simulationist now, but a) itā€™s on consoles and b) itā€™s chasing esports and c) itā€™s ubisoft, so it is indeed the best compromise you could get for such a title in 2018.