Racoon City

i kinda thought that too yeah.

on another note: there should be a term for the kind of Pavlovian dopamine squirt you get from certain actions in vidcons, and tilting your shotgun up -> firing at the precise time to blow a zombie’s head off is absolutely one of them. i whoop and fist pump every time.

1 Like

I want to recommend 3 for extra Raccon City Townage and Nemesis antics. And then CV: X for the Chris/Wesker nemesis antics. But the former is a more fast paced and fun game with direct connection to 2; the latter is pretty awkward and there is that trans aspect. I did like the Ashford and deeper Umbrella history.

There’s no denying 4 as outstanding and groundbreaking. Great as it is designed, for the future of RE I ended up not liking how much it steered into empowering the player though.

All the RE games on PSN are on sale right now.

just want to thank @meauxdal for all the times she told me to play Re6. I finally did. What a wild and crazy time! This game is like a party with friends you haven’t seen in awhile.

1 Like

RE6 slays. great game

This is true, and a good strong contender for Resident Evil Post of the Year, of which I will crown in a podcast on june 1st of next year. It’s gonna be this one.

Resident Evil is great because every single game presents you with concepts you’re generally familiar with and your enjoyment increases the more you get involved with the worlds they present you. Sleepysmiles described Pavlovian Squirts (:pavsquirt:) and there’s another good one in the series: finding a box of ammo when you’re low on health and have 2 rounds left in the chamber.

i got to the police station! and i limped down a hallway, and saw something flit across a window at the end, and i said “NOPE” and shut the game off,

1 Like

I believe in you. You can do this!

1 Like

Thank you for believing in me, Jill Valentine. i went back and fucked that thing up with a crossbow.

i didnt expect the hunter equivalent to show up so early :open_mouth:
it was way cooler looking than a hunter

so this is going well

5 Likes

I sincerely wish I could experience these games for the first time again. I might just jump back into re2 and do a bowgun/knife only run seeing as it’s around the 20th anniversary.

Since this is the Resident Steevil thread, and I am the resident evil here at Select Button

RE6 is cleared for me on Leon’s chapter so far. Did it in about a night and a half. What my reaction was to a lot of it was how just absolutely terribly paced the whole chapter is. Leon’s chapter goes from a spooky jaunt around a college campus to multiple hallways that are just constantly filling up with zombies while the player is waiting for Player 2 to do something.

I think the worst segment in the game is probably the catacomb, but I really like when the game is firing on all cylinders (like exploring the city asi t comes down around you or the subway)

I worked at a Gamestop when Outbreak released. My manager played a while and knowing how into RE I was tried to get me onboard, but the PS2 network adapter and hard drive biz didn’t help. I didn’t want to pay it much attention then, but I’ve heard people speak of the team ups and experience as good times.

Dead Aim was a very okay at best not quite crappy spinoff, barely remember and forgot all about

The 2005 crossover game Namco × Capcom featured Bruce and Ling as playable characters.

nxc01834

I guess I am contractually obligated to post this

3 Likes

Outbreak is pretty great. I have limited experience having only played the gimped PAL releases but I still rate them highly.

They remind me of RE1 in that your avatar is incredibly vulnerable, both to direct attacks but also to infection in general, and that useful resources are scarce. The lock and key style puzzles which pervade the gameplay are a bit of a chore by yourself and require some trial and error, but this seems to be remedied when played online.

I particularly like the improvised forms of communication between players, as well as the varied move-sets. Each character has a distinctive set of tools available to them and this encourages teamwork and role playing. Yoko, for example, can carry a lot more items than other characters, but as a consequence is incredibly slow and weak. However, her evade is lightning fast and one of the most useful moves if used correctly. Jim has a very fast infection rate, but to offset this, is quick, lithe, and can play dead to avoid combat. This was the first RE game to really distinguish between characters in terms of their respective pace, weight and abilities.

I would encourage more people to play these games if the load times weren’t so inexplicably bad.

2 Likes

they play so badly it physically hurts to watch.

i browse a bit of the current RE thread on something awful (the Resi community there seems to pleasantly be one of the chill ones), and was linked to the brilliant opening for Outbreak:

i know nothing else about the game except that it was a PS2 online game (lol) and that it can’t possibly be as good as this cutscene
like this is amazing top 10 game intros of all time material, like whoa

4 Likes

Rough loading times I can deal with, and would probably enjoy the the motions of an older (yet new for me) styled entry.

Oh yeah…I just remembered it had somewhat resurrected online playability a few years back. You ever dip into that? Thinking I’ll play one way or another soon, it felt like I missed out back then. And now you’ve nudged me.

:wink: :kissing_heart:

1 Like

RE2 is really good!!!

i just met the police chief and Sherry. the scene with the chief is really creepy and good

i also loved the jumpscare where zombies come through the loading screen door!!