Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

wait, you have to actually pay a ‘rental fee’ to an isp for your routers over there

i suppose the virign/bt ones are so bad they couldn’t possibly charge

Which is your favorite?

I really like Urban Shadows, but I keep thinking about running the Warren, or getting someone who is into wrestling to run World Wide Wrestling for me.

I’ve played an absurd amount of Dungeon World, Apoc World, and Monsterhearts because those are the most popular PBTA games.

1 Like

its a rental fee for the modems which have built in terrible routers

currently having a nightmare with virgin not willing to admit our router is bust. keep telling us that it’s an area issue that will be resolved later in the day, even tho the issue has been going on for months…

i’ve had so many problems with virgin over the years but they’ve had a monopoly everywhere i’ve ever lived

ive only played apocalypse world and monster hearts! i definitely wanna try something i haven’t before

1 Like

like most things here, it’s great when it works

I’m one of those people that really likes trying new systems so I’ve played a lot of different apoc engine games

I’ve def had my fair share of bad experiences with certain apoc engine games but for the most part I think its a much better baseline for how games should be presented than dnd

Anyway, I’ll see about getting the energy to run a one shot some time (in addition to my reg dnd schedule) and def invite you.

yeah sure hit me up whenever that happens

1 Like

I don’t know why Felix recommended renting, looks like 3.1/32 cable modems cost less than 200$ so you’ll be ahead of rental fees if you use the same modem for 2 years or more, which is very likely since the cable standards don’t evolve quickly.

When I shop for in-theory-indistinguishable electronics, I look at the 1 to 3 star online reviews and I search especially for evidence of flakiness. If all of them are complaining about dead-on-arrival or about initial configuration difficulties, then it’s good. If some people are complaining about connection dropping occasionally or needing to reboot it monthly, I consider that evidence of a systemic problem and I try to avoid those if there are too many. And I also avoid new enough devices that there are insufficient reviews to tell.

2 Likes

yeah, “they’re expensive” was a lazy justification when I actually meant “they’re somewhat expensive, completely uninteresting as a product that I have any interest in owning or thinking about (unlike the router), and it can be a liability to not have the ISP in control of the connection down to the ethernet jack in case you have a problem and they refuse to support it otherwise”

2 Likes

“expensive” is also subjective

“less than $200” in my personal case translates to “two months’ pay”

ain’t no modem worth 2 months’ pay no matter what that number is

well sure but you’re not buying it as a luxury, you’re buying it to replace a rental fee

like I’m all about keeping things relative and not taking for granted how much money people have but it sounds like you’re not exactly shopping around for internet service on exclusively that income either

I want to play a World Wide Wrestling game with SB people.

2 Likes

get one of these routers. They are fantastic. And nowadays, inexpensive.

1 Like

that is a very old router, like 2010 vintage

It is older. But, the range is amazing** and it has no problem punching through walls and floors. And the speed is very good. No issue with sustaining speeds for 4K video. Sure, it won’t max out a gigabit internet connection over wireless. But so what?

*and never needed to reboot it. zero issue handling the whole family and their phones, at Christmas.

**range: I got one for my mother, as well. Its on the second floor of her house. I can take my laptop (which has a pretty potent receiver in it. Phones aren’t as good) to the horse barn on the hill (about 150 yards away) and get 3Mbps downloads. And there’s a grove of Alder trees blocking line of site.

if all you need is like, a single 2.4ghz stream to go a decent distance and download at N speeds, then you’re probably fine with the router built into a modem

1 Like

any router has to be better than the pieces of shit the isps give you. had a bunch of problems that wound up being resolved by getting an actual, dedicated router.

2 Likes

Be cool like me and get a wired-only router and separate power-over-ethernet access point(s)

5 Likes