Quantum Ungulations (Outer Wilds)

I’ve always thought about trying to jump in and go after it, but the time comes and I get lazy.

I only have a couple more things to do, I think. I’ve been playing it spaced out (like I do with every game now, out of necessity) and have been savoring the discovery.

The rumor map is such an ingenious way for to cohere the game together, even if it’s one of the only things that doesn’t make diegetic sense.

3 Likes

yeah it plays remarkably well spaced out

like it’s a master class in being both generous and gentle

one of the only really successful and really modern versions of a cyan game, compared to the witness (which is great but was never an apt comparison) or obduction (which is fine but incredibly trudgey and ponderous)

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call Obduction incredibly trudgey and ponderous. It’s true that there’s too much walking though. I don’t think Cyan’s particular vision of how to build a navigable world has tracked well from Hypercard to full 3d. Backtracking isn’t so bad when you can just clickclickclick through areas you already know well in a few seconds. When you actually . have . to . walk . every . where it’s a whole different feeling

2 Likes

Obduction is really good, wouldn’t ever say “ponderous” is bad for an adventure game.

Hell, one of the best things about outer wilds is how ponderous it is. The only thing they gate behind exploring a location is more info about the world. This works great, all I do in this game is wander and ponder

1 Like

I agree, though I think there’s potential for the computer to make diegetic sense: It’s got Nomai power running through it. Maybe the Timber Hearthians scavenged an old Nomai computer that, unbeknownst to them, had been hooked up to their time travel tech.

I have a general idea what I’m going to have to do to beat the game, although I don’t have a detailed picture of all the specifics yet. But I know whatever it is, I’m going to have to be able to do it in 22 minutes! The only thing you can build up over time is knowledge. It’s such a great structure for an adventure game.

1 Like

That’s a good point I hadn’t considered!

Thats a pretty good justification, but what about “there’s more to explore here” markers?

Heh, yeah, I don’t have a great explanation for that one. Best stretch I can come up with is that the player character noticed there was unexplored stuff and inputted that into the computer when I wasn’t looking.

1 Like

I tried the click to navigate method in obduction and it was definitely worse too

my threshold for “why am I not reading a book” when it comes to adventure games is super low though

New thread title is perhaps my greatest achievement as a poster.

3 Likes

I started playing this week, only done a couple hours at most – I’m not sure if I’ve managed to make it through a full loop yet or not! I suspect that I have; however, the game is still mysterious enough that I haven’t quite figured out how that’s supposed to work.

I’m really enjoying it so far as it’s doing a great job of being obtuse enough to be intriguing while doing a great job nudging you into new and interesting things to keep you engaged and exploring – the Witness was just a little bit too much on the side of high expectations on the player, which for someone with two little kids was enough for me to bounce off of it pretty hard at around the same amount of time played. This is a lot better in that respect.

Even saying there’s a loop is itself a spoiler!

It’s hard to talk about this game, almost everything is a potential spoiler.

Anyway you’ll know when it happens trust me there’s a music cue and everything

By the way I beat this and it was good. Think I found everything I could, although it’s impossible to be totally sure.

The problem was that I was running out of O2 at the exact same time so I wasn’t sure if it was that or the giant blue firework explosion thing that appeared right above me.

my eyes are healed to the point I don’t feel like I’ll be missing out trying to play this! I also went for a bike ride today to prove that to myself but nevermind that

trying to figure out if it’s worth sussing out a way down to the anglerflish

honestly I think the jetpack and the ship being as finicky but ultimately unpunishing to navigate as they are makes the game at least 15% better

no one makes adventure games with good traversal, that there are as many pseudo platforming challenges as there are in the sunless city is very bold of them, they’re mostly easy to succeed at on the first try but even so

1 Like

It’s worth doing pretty much everything you can, imo. I only felt like I wasted my time going one or two final places at the very end after I’d already figured out how to beat the game.

This game had the shortest time to credits rolling I’ve ever seen, it ran them because I jumped into the well and drowned??

1 Like

Congratulations, you beat the game!!

Can you remove your OS chip in Automata during the opening flight sequence? If not, then you might be right.