Quake Champions Open Beta

There’s no NDA on private discord chat

Are they actually gonna let people play with their friends, or is it gonna be forced public for the sake of the beta?

It’s a Quake-y.
Not sure if that’s a good thing for a new game

My name is GodamnMilkman on there

I got in this

my first game of DEATHMATCH I went FOUR AND TWENTY TWO and finished in LAST PLACE

seems about right

I got the quad one time and killed myself with it immediately

ok second game I went 13-17

success

I don’t know what any of the characters do

Playing this game, not doing too badly! It’s slower than I expected.

Anyway, hmu I’m either VirtualClint or CubeofAges, not sure which one it used. If I’m not on quake ping me on Discord or something

Courier and I are playing a bit, if we can get it to work. @geist @Godamn_Milkman @Gate88 @Sykel

1 Like

Official verdict: this game is kinda boring

but STRAFE JUMPING

ROCKET JUMPING

oh you want a game that works? DMAN MILLENIALS.

1 Like

I’m actually super digging this but I’m more the Quake III crowd. Of course I suck at it because even though I was decent at Q3 and won here and there, I never did figure out strafe jumping all that well. I feel like in this one if got it going every now and again! But I started out some days ago, always being at the bottom of the frag list, so to say. Then I made it my goal to not be last and I’ve managed to do that… first being second to last for a while and now I even made the unthankful 4th place in a team deathmatch (8 players, not 6, which can sometimes happen).

The abilities and different characters are a welcome twist and don’t overshadow the core gameplay

The weapons all seemed to suck when I was a noob, then I got more proficient and now they all rock

When you enter a duel against FragMaster5000 or somesuch player that’s been playing Quake for 20 years, prepare to cry

Seriously, if you haven’t played Quakes for at least a decade, don’t duel

It’s freaking delicious that the playerbase has these godlike veteran warriors and new blood at the same time. You don’t get that in ANY other FPS that I know of

Skill ceiling is still super high, skill floor has been raised

I enjoy each game, even when I’m losing badly, so yeah, do play duel after all, it’s fun as well

Can’t wait to buy this, hope it becomes a success

The funny thing is that looking at the youtubesphere, the old veterans worry that it’s not “fresh” enough and won’t attract modern players, while the modern COD, Battlefield, Overwatch players say it’s “such a breath of fresh air.” Because they’ve never had that pinnacle of arena shooters feeling before, or skill based movement, or pick up and map control as extensive as this. It’s like a whole new thing for them. So maybe they’ve waited just long enough to bring Quake back for it to be a success.

But sure, a lot of players will be deterred by the skill of the veterans and the fact that you can do 200 cumulative rocket damage to a dude while he does 75 to you and you’ll lose out. They probably won’t understand right away what a difference the pick ups make and that it’s actually a game about controlling the map’s resources and just fragging people in between, whenever it’s necessary to keep control.

I’m BBP1, add me if you like!

4 Likes

picked this up again at the end of may, which ended up being really fuckin’ serendipitous timing as a major update and rebalance came shortly afterwards followed by a massive influx of new players after e3

i have mixed feelings!!! some thoughts:

the movement is perfect, if you played q3a you can pick a medium champion and feel comfortable right away with strafe jumping just like you’re used to

there are more than two maps now, including a really fuckin’ good take on qw favourite ztndm3

weapon balance is… yeah, there are fairly common scenarios where you can hit someone with a quad railgun and they don’t die, anything less than a direct hit with the rl can feel a bit weak (this might just be my preference for qw showing) yet the lg still has insane qw-style dps and is the go-to in most situations

off-peak times matchmaking can take a few minutes and the game might fill spaces with bots, the bots have terrible pathfinding and will get stuck humping walls but they never miss with hitscan weapons, so if they somehow manage to pick up a rail tough shit i guess. they also have awful meme names

i wish premium content storefront loot crate stuff would fuck right off, it’s all cosmetic in this game though some of the lootbox weapon models are way less intrusive than the defaults

the characters and abilities are also A Mixed Bag, there’s a definite top tier for competitive play and duels - visor’s super is a wall hack, galena can throw up to three destructible totems on the ground that heal herself and teammates for 50 and damage enemies for 90, if you can get three of them down by getting a bit creative and hiding them those numbers get a buff. the rest of the supers tend to be ‘spam this in panic when you’re losing a 1v1’

so yeah! i guess i’m old and wish this was releasing with more maps and the overwatch stuff gutted

1 Like

yeah I agree with what you’re saying. Add to that that I’m not a big multiplayer shooter guy anymore and I find it hard to stick with it. I’m rarely in the mood for what QC has to offer. I couldn’t get into Overwatch or PUBG much and I can’t get into this much. I’m more of a “let me play singleplayer and occassionally multiplayer” guy, which is why I’m into Warframe, FFXIV, bought Destiny 2 and will probably get Monster Hunter World next month. I’m glad at least that I didn’t have to spend money and just got the game when it was free for a time on Steam. That was really nice of them