Puyo Time

I practice Puyo every day, but I realize I never talk about it

Today’s chain form is Hellfire, which describes any power 2-chain. It’s very common to utilize dam stacking to create a Hellfire chain, as popping five columns simultaneously can send more than three rocks of garbage.

3 Likes

This is the base for a Flat Stack. As the name suggests, flat stacking makes your chain… flat.
Easy to transition, but lacking versatility. Since the form only has one trigger point, flat stacking should probably be utilized for long chains, since a harassment can stuff this pretty easily.

2 Likes

That’s not real

2 Likes

I need to play 20th more often, I love active chain modes where you can just send a shit ton of garbage

i just saw this on tumblr and
tumblr_ovxdwuNqBB1rypw9yo1_500

3 Likes

NICE, i love rulue no roux

they get really creative with the later installments’ puzzles

dumping clips from the Puyo Puyo Sun manual

042c1c56f43ad5eb628658f7b312d05c

547c6e000b9fb3a49c9191e1e116b43a

4 Likes

I made this inspirational video

3 Likes

Thank you rockrain

This is honestly one of the best rounds I’ve ever played.

1. High efficiency
  2. Reversible tail
  3. Perfectly countered with a side chain
  4. I’m real damn cool
3 Likes

This is now half price on PS4. I picked it up because I saw Birch playing it. I have not tried many of the modes yet, but I’m glad there are a lot of them.

Every time I play a new puzzle game, I’m reminded that Super Bust a Move on PS2 has the best puzzle game characters and “story” of the modern era. (Wiiware Puzzle Bobble is pretty good, too. I don’t know what happened with Wiiware Bubble Bobble.) At least PPT lets you skip the cutscenes.

This is one of the few mobile games I’ve ever bothered playing.

3 Likes

This is now half price on PS4. I picked it up because I saw Birch playing it. I have not tried many of the modes yet, but I’m glad there are a lot of them.

Oh man, with the abundance of bullshit game modes present throughout the series, you’d be surprised just how few there are in Puyo Puyo Tetris. Swap mode is definitely my favorite, though.

Here are some of my favorite modes from Puyo Puyo 20th:

windmill puyogiant puyo
excavation puyoasshole puyo for idiots

It kind of breaks my heart when someone says they don’t like Puyo for being too hard, or that they don’t like competitive games, because there are so many games and so many single-player options. I feel like Puyo can appeal to anybody.

3 Likes

does Puyo Tetris have regular Puyo in it too? I want to Puyo but don’t really know the best way to go about this with a PS4/Switch and about 15000 versions

Puyo Puyo Tetris’s default versus mode is either Puyo/Puyo, Puyo/Tetris, or Tetris/Tetris. Puyo vs. Puyo operates like traditional Tsu rules, which is the “default” ruleset for basically every game after Puyo Pop Fever, and obviously, Tsu

PPT is the second most recent Puyo game, but the most recent one that’s localized for non-Japanese audiences. It has an active online scene on the Switch version, and is slightly quieter on the PS4 version. I’d say playing VS. mode on PPT is a good way to learn how to play Puyo, but the issue is that you can still get matched against Tetris players, since there’s no default option to only play 100% Puyo.

Basically your best option is to play PuyoVS on PC, or get the JP-only Puyo Puyo Chronicle for 3DS.

1 Like

like pretty much any fighting game (well, most games now), I can only appreciate this series from a distance, and usually not even vicariously. I love the characters and music, and admire the customizabilty built into the series via the hidden and not-so-hidden option menus. But every skill and ability that the games ask you to acquire or develop seems to be beyond my physical/mental capabilities.

if there’s one with an especially detailed and gradual tutorial, particularly for a previous console/PC generation, I’ll give it a shot. But wringing out actual fun, instead of just surface fascination, seem extremely unlikely.

Puyo Tetris has a pretty extensive tutorial that explicitly teaches you chaining strategies.
Every game’s done this since like, Puyo Puyo 7 I believe. Don’t fact check me

I think you can do it in custom PPT games as well, but a lot of the Puyo games have three color mode which is a hefty handicap and how I usually play against Marina

1 Like

0293 - Puyo Pop (U)(Mode7)_04

0293 - Puyo Pop (U)(Mode7)_05

⋅⋅⋅ᵐᵉ

6 Likes

I sure am bad at the fusion mode in PPT. Though I think I’ve grasped the basic mechanics, the computer opponent on normal beats me as often as I beat it.

Fusion mode is basically Puyo + a tinny bit of Tetris but the real trick is that the combo window is like 3 seconds so you just want to set up a few lines in Tetris and a bunch of groups of 3 puyos and just hard drop until they’re all gone.

It’s kind of a bad mode tbh