Prototypes, Betas, and Unfinished Games

10 Likes

“Rejected by Charles Schulz” is user title material.

6 Likes

Reminder to me and @Tulpa to list some of the stuff we found during our late night Genesis exploration when we get back. Was that Oh Mummy game a beta?

1 Like

An unreleased port of a game I think? It was the most playable

here’s a playthrough of a newly released sonic 3 prototype

turns out all the weird “alternate” music from the pc version is actually the original music and the newer tracks were theoretically added in after michael jacksons involvment

5 Likes
2 Likes

unfair that this does not exist

6 Likes

remember when they were making Mega Man Legends 3 and it they were doing a lot of stuff with the community.

1 Like

https://www.facebook.com/notes/get-me-off-the-moon-mega-man-legends-3-revival/gmotms-interview-with-chris-hoffman-the-only-english-speaking-journalist-to-have/1565522263522009/

1 Like

2 Likes

2 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes

obsessed with the dizzyingly abstract level geometry of sonic x-treme

12 Likes

these days it makes sense to me how that vein would lead to Nights into Dreams

but looking at this level makes it feel more like a Virtual Boy game than anything

1 Like

this video has a few minutes of early sonic footage with the big wrecking balls in green hill, weird open special stages, ufos in marble garden, the alternate jumping victory animation at the end levels, different layouts, etc

also some bare knuckle proto footage in here

4 Likes

There was originally a spike trap next to the COPE logo!

I was looking at the assets in a TGS’00 disc vs some assets on an E3’01 disc, and there are some subtle changes:

This shot from TGS2000 shows the Defense icon near the attachment hotbar. In the final version, you only see this in the menu, it usually has some numbers showing your defense. Also, the floor # icon is different.

Here’s a screenshot from the same disc of an even older build, notice the different icon in the corner for weapon “speed”.

shoafighting2
Compare to this shot from E32001, which is the final version of the game (but with an early English translation).

spiritemperor
This shot from E32001 shows a rough(er than final version) translation. This file is called spiritemperor, but I believe he wound up being called the spirit/fairy king in the final version.

This file is called “moneyshot” on the E32001 disc – apparently, the person doing the captures thought this was The Shot.
moneyshot

4 Likes

qXxTlAI
This is a shot of Frank West from Dead Rising from E3 2005/Xbox Summit. He looks like the kid from the Iron Giant if he were a 40 year ol dman.

8 Likes